Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reducing underhood temperature

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2010, 09:11 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default huuh...

Originally Posted by Spike555
This is just my non expert opinion but I think that the engineers who designed these trucks knew what they were doing and they built it to be at its best all the time.
The DI and DII have to VERY different cooling systems, the DI a 3 core radiator and the DII a 2 core.
The DI has 2 aux cooling fans and the DII 1.
As long as everything is working properly then under hood and engine temps are a non issue.
It is the best 4x4xfar for a reason.
Hey Spike....Did you say the word's engineers...and new what they where doing? .....are you sure you didnt mean "idiots" and not a clue"......

Old 05-31-2010, 09:14 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Default oh boy..

Originally Posted by Danny Lee 97 Disco
I agree with Spike, if everything else is good, I don't see the need for cutting up the hood.

The more I find out about these beasts, the happier I am I happened to buy a DI. Didn't even set out to do it, just stumbled on it and thought, what the heck, I have owned almost everything else, guess I'll give this thing a try. Now i want two or three more of them.

It's a sickness you know .....when you want more of them

Old 05-31-2010, 09:34 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by vandev
Hey Spike....Did you say the word's engineers...and new what they where doing? .....are you sure you didnt mean "idiots" and not a clue"......
See, you were perfectly happy with your RRC, but then you bought the DII which is bar far a huge POS developed and designed and engineered by BMW which are airplane guys.
Airplanes and 4x4s are just a little different.

Old 05-31-2010, 09:35 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by souljad9
If you're looking for a cheap and easy way, unbolt your hood, buy some longer bolts, and throw a couple washers or make a spacer block to go between the hood hinge and the hood. A 1/2" would open up alot more ventilation. I don't necessarily see the need for vents, but that would be easier and negate the need for cutting, bondo, paint, etc.
Only problem that i see with removing the weather stripping and lifting the hood is..

is not the gap behind the engine bay and by the windsheild where the a/c air comes from?

Old 05-31-2010, 10:23 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Default correction

See, you were perfectly happy with your RRC, but then you bought the DII which is bar far a huge POS developed and designed and engineered by BMW which are airplane guys.
Airplanes and 4x4s are just a little different.

correction..It was a 95 RR 4.0SE...was very happy until, suspension, abs, headgasket issues..

Airplane guys......i sure hope not as they would be falling out of the skies

Old 06-01-2010, 02:41 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is just my non expert opinion but I think that the engineers who designed these trucks knew what they were doing and they built it to be at its best all the time.
The DI and DII have to VERY different cooling systems, the DI a 3 core radiator and the DII a 2 core.
The DI has 2 aux cooling fans and the DII 1.
As long as everything is working properly then under hood and engine temps are a non issue.
It is the best 4x4xfar for a reason.

Surely you're joking, these "engineers" gave us a motor that nearly always requires headgaskets replaced before 100k, slips liners and blows up randomly, a double cardon joint with no factory provision to maintain, three amigos, electrical gremlins, no Cdl for most of the disco 2 run, and you give them credit for knowing whats best for the vehicle?

I think not.

Old 06-01-2010, 02:53 PM
Mudding

Update, I pulled the lower engine splash gaurd off this weekend and found that it made the engine bay hotter than just leaving it on. This is with the side weatherstripping removed as in the earlier post.

Old 06-01-2010, 03:32 PM
TReK
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

vandev and DiscoWest, do you have one of these in your back window with a Rover emblem under the stream? If not, it might be time...

Old 06-01-2010, 03:42 PM
Winching

back to the topic....

so vents in the hood would be a good idea....where would be a safe place to put them....

the hood vent i'm getting form ebay is 30x14.....and is 1.75 inches tall....

where would this work best...above the intake manifold area?

Old 06-01-2010, 04:40 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Just one quick comment regarding BMW. It translates to Bring More Wampam.

And while I am at it, A friend of mine that recently bought a DII also has several Jeeps. JEEP = Just Empty Every Pocket.

So give up on improving The DII. Buy more DI's instead.

Quick Reply: Reducing underhood temperature