Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reducing underhood temperature

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2010, 04:54 PM
TReK
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 03discoman
back to the topic....so vents in the hood would be a good idea....where would be a safe place to put them....the hood vent i'm getting form ebay is 30x14.....and is 1.75 inches tall....where would this work best...above the intake manifold area?
Are you getting vents like Esteban, or raised intake (like a Subaru)? Do you have the link to the eBay auction? I'd say if you're getting 2 of them you'd want them on each side of the IM to keep the "new" airflow/venting consistent on both sides of the engine.

Old 06-01-2010, 05:21 PM
Winching
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i'm THINKING of installing a h2 hood vent

i already won it on ebay for 2.25$...i figure id installing in where you black the hood out

Old 06-01-2010, 05:50 PM
Winching

here is a really bad mock up...

doesnt look right on light colored trucks...but mines dark green, and since i have every bit of off-road gear...i can make it work....just think of a G4 d2 driving through the jungle...... with that on the hood letting hot air out...

i think it looks better than a cheap carpet vent from home depot no offense spike

Name:  h2hoodmockup.jpg
Views: 631
Size:  35.3 KB

Old 06-01-2010, 06:08 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

There is a recall on those hood vents for Hummers, they keep flying off the hood, so just follow one around and wait for the vent to fly off and then pick it up.
I dont think the hood vents on a H2 actually do anything, they are just there for looks.

Personally I dont like the hood vent idea, but each to their own.

Old 06-01-2010, 06:20 PM
TReK
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You're right, would look much better/more subtle with your green and without those chrome....ehhem...."sky hooks"

Old 06-01-2010, 06:23 PM
Winching

well i'm all about reducing hood temps....and i like doing **** to my truck... i was gonna pick up a spare hood for this project but my local yard sold there only green d2 hood for 100$...... bummer.... but i still might mock this up when i have time...

i did score 5 nitto grapplers for 100$ during my visit...but i must wait for them to pull them off and 1 tire is flat...gonna need a repair..

Old 06-01-2010, 10:18 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by yloDiscoII
vandev and DiscoWest, do you have one of these in your back window with a Rover emblem under the stream? If not, it might be time...

How'd you know?

I love my disco but I'm a realist, it's definitely not engineering perfection.

Old 06-01-2010, 10:22 PM
Mudding

well i'm all about reducing hood temps....and i like doing **** to my truck... i was gonna pick up a spare hood for this project but my local yard sold there only green d2 hood for 100$...... bummer.... but i still might mock this up when i have time...

i did score 5 nitto grapplers for 100$ during my visit...but i must wait for them to pull them off and 1 tire is flat...gonna need a repair..
I'd love to see a pic when you try this. I've never really looked at the Hummer Hood vent closely but if it is a real vent and you can make it look good I'm sure It would help.

Old 06-01-2010, 10:33 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Spike555
See, you were perfectly happy with your RRC, but then you bought the DII which is bar far a huge POS developed and designed and engineered by BMW which are airplane guys.
Airplanes and 4x4s are just a little different.
Hmmm, my wifes 95 BMW 525i has 189k on the engine. Other than scheduled routine maintenance, all I have done to the engine is recently change the valve cover gasket. It doesn't burn or drip oil and runs like a top. My 97 D1 has recently had a new water pump, head gaskets and master cylinder with 139k, but also runs like a top. Late in the day the hood will burn your hand when you try to open it.

Old 06-02-2010, 05:13 PM
7th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

back to the topic....

so vents in the hood would be a good idea....where would be a safe place to put them....

the hood vent i'm getting form ebay is 30x14.....and is 1.75 inches tall....

where would this work best...above the intake manifold area?
Mine are mounted over the exhaust manifolds, also to keep engine temps lower I have installed an 8x11 oil cooler. With these two mods the aux. fan comes on much less. After having had a slipped liner, I'm a little worried with the high temps of summer coming on.

Quick Reply: Reducing underhood temperature