Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Relocated coil packs (with pics!)

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2017, 04:46 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 226 Likes on 195 Posts

Originally Posted by KingKoopa
My initial reason for ditching the pump was to make room for the washer fluid bottle, and I think when I get around to building a bumper that will still be the case. I was just eager to get the job done and found this to be a very easy place to mount and didn't have to make any kind of bracketry (other than a small piece of aluminum scrap) to mount it. When I do what you've done there I will probably put the coils either right over the cruise control unit or on the open space on thr drivers side accessory bracket where the ace pump would be.

Luckily I made my harness extensions pretty long so they will reach anywhere near the motor or firewall.
If you don't need 6 gallons of washer fluid you can probably fit the coils and a smaller aftermarket washer fluid bottle in the same location.

Old 01-12-2017, 05:23 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 54 Likes on 49 Posts

Good point

Old 01-12-2017, 06:21 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,186 Likes on 849 Posts

The bracket for the SAI valve, mounted on the valve cover, would probably support your coil pack...it's a pretty stout bracket. I'm removing the rest of my SAI manifold tubes and garbage and might investigate moving my coil packs to this option. The cruise bracket is a good option, too, and would keep it away from engine temps better.

Only problem with a aftermarket washer bottle will be...finding one that has duel motors. Personally, I like the larger container...since you usually buy washer fluid by the gallon.

Brian.

Old 01-12-2017, 07:21 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 848 Likes on 633 Posts

I was thinking of adding a oil catch can in the same place of your coil packs but I might do this coil pack mod instead.

Old 01-12-2017, 10:42 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by The Deputy
The bracket for the SAI valve, mounted on the valve cover, would probably support your coil pack...it's a pretty stout bracket. I'm removing the rest of my SAI manifold tubes and garbage and might investigate moving my coil packs to this option. The cruise bracket is a good option, too, and would keep it away from engine temps better.

Only problem with a aftermarket washer bottle will be...finding one that has duel motors. Personally, I like the larger container...since you usually buy washer fluid by the gallon.

Brian.
That's a thought. Mount one pack on either side of the intake on the Sai valve mounting studs. That's really tempting actually.

Old 01-13-2017, 05:24 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,186 Likes on 849 Posts

Plus, mounting the coil packs on each side...would allow you to shorten up the plug wires. The plug wire is the weakest link in the ignition system, and as they age...they allow for most resistance...which in turn, over time, can ruin the coil packs. This is why, over the past few years, you see no ignition wires at all (or as short as possible)...coil pack for each cylinder, directly on top of the plug.

Brian.

Old 01-13-2017, 07:20 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 848 Likes on 633 Posts

Originally Posted by The Deputy
Plus, mounting the coil packs on each side...would allow you to shorten up the plug wires. The plug wire is the weakest link in the ignition system, and as they age...they allow for most resistance...which in turn, over time, can ruin the coil packs.

So true!!!

Old 01-13-2017, 05:12 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Interesting, I never thought of relocating them like that. I might relocate mine now. Cheers mate!!

Old 01-13-2017, 08:04 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by KingKoopa
Thanks! They are actually just the universal msd wire kit you can get an any auto parts store. I had to cut them to length, put the boots on, and I had to take the coil side connectors off the factory wires and crimp them onto the new wires because the coils require that wonky male fitting rather than the standard female type. I think they are 8mm.

BTW. Factory wires were around 5000 ohms, the longest of my custom wires is just over 2000 ohms.

Did you have to lengthen the wires that go TO the coil pack?

Old 01-13-2017, 08:13 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Yup. Added about 2 feet

Quick Reply: Relocated coil packs (with pics!)