Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Remanufactured 4.6 - Best Option?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2013, 07:58 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bryan-
(I know we PM-ed but just so everyone else knows);
I bought the long block from Mike at Great Plains. Other than the delay there was getting it to me, the engine seems great. For what its worth here is a pic:
Name:  SSC_0022_zpsae0a1fd9.jpg
Views: 3207
Size:  215.2 KB
I also talked to Robinson. They seemed VERY knowledgeable but the final ballpark price I got from them was in the $10,000 range (although that did include install). I bought the long block, a gasket set and a few extras (from Great Plains) and had a trusted shop do the install and it ended up costing me a little over $8000. Yes, it was tough to swallow but with the top hat liners I am expecting to keep the truck for another 5-10 years.
I am finally back on the road and I am thrilled with the truck.
Name:  SSC_0065_zpsc5abfe98.jpg
Views: 3253
Size:  233.0 KB

Old 02-05-2013, 09:17 PM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

Wow. I stand corrected. That's ridiculous. For 10,000 you could import TWO turner long blocks.

Old 02-05-2013, 09:27 PM
Rock Crawling

Well, I think, at the end of the day, there is no cheap option for a properly rebuilt engine. $5-6k for a long block is basically what you have to be willing to pay to go that route. This has been helpful info from all. Any addl input such as Paul's with firsthand experience is greatly appreciated.

Old 05-06-2013, 06:05 PM
LR Forum Vendor
Received 37 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Bryan H
Well, I think, at the end of the day, there is no cheap option for a properly rebuilt engine. $5-6k for a long block is basically what you have to be willing to pay to go that route. This has been helpful info from all. Any addl input such as Paul's with firsthand experience is greatly appreciated.
Our re-manufactured engines do come in long or shortblock configs, depending on what you are looking for. The full line up of what we offer currently is Here.

We do complete flanged/tophat sleeving along with host of new component installations with these engines - especially the long blocks.

You can checkout out this video for an overview on our remanufacture process on these engines:

Old 05-08-2013, 12:54 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I just bought a CannibalV8 -I can give the good the bad and the ugly in a few weeks

Old 05-08-2013, 03:52 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Did a few months of research and came to the same conclusion as pauldavidanthony. I literally JUST finished installing my GPR long block. Haven't been able to drive it enough yet to post results. Here's what I'd suggest: If money is the most important factor, go with Atlantic British. You'll miss out on a couple of the lickies & chewies D&D, Cannibal and GPR provide, but it's a solid block for solid value. Whatever you do, get a long block though! If you go SB, aside from the extra work, you'll have to have your old heads machined, which will probably soak up the cost difference right there. Good luck!

I got a $10K-12K quote from JE as well, and they needed the truck (another $750 for shipping 1 way). I respect the work and his uncompromising dedication to perfection, but it's just not practical...at least for me.

Old 05-08-2013, 06:58 PM
Overlanding

Yoops,
Keep us posted on that Cannibal motor, I have my D2 in with them and will be collecting her on the 24th.

Old 05-08-2013, 08:25 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Rodsram
Yoops,
Keep us posted on that Cannibal motor, I have my D2 in with them and will be collecting her on the 24th.
I know I am looking forward to hearing your story as well.
My D2 story http://www.expeditionportal.com/foru...Trek-Discovery

I know The Shop in GA has installed 6 of these and everyone of the owners are happy as flies on poop. They are doing my swap.
I am sending Steve/Cannibal my front cover next week for a rebuild and deciding on engine color. The Cam won't stink either...

Last edited by Yoops Racing; 05-08-2013 at 08:32 PM.
Old 12-08-2014, 05:45 PM
Cool Great Plains Rovers

Originally Posted by Bryan H
I'm looking into remanufactured 4.6 long block options. I've previously replaced bad engines with used 4.6's, and I've had mixed results. I think my next replacement will be with a remanufactured unit. The primary options I'm coming up with are Turner, Great Plains Rovers (GPR), and Atlantic British. Here's what I've gathered:

Turner: great reputation. Rebuilt engines include numerous improvements, including higher flow heads and cam. Not sure of the price, given exchange and shipping costs.

GPR: not a lot of info to find on the web, but what is available seems pretty positive. Engine includes some nice upgrades, including performance cam. Price is $5700.

Atlantic British: seems fairly pricey at $6.5k, but it also includes a new timing cover and oil pump, as well as oil pan fitted. Just one less chance for leaks compared to me installing them.

Any experiences with the three above, or even another option?
I purchased a 4.6L Long Block from Great Plains Rovers about a year ago. I also didn't find a lot of information on them but was intrigued by the 3 year warrantee as opposed to some of the other players out there. I've put about 1500 miles on the engine and am closely monitoring it. I will tell you that my contact has been Mike Billingsley. He was terrific prior to the sale. Granted, the actually delivery time was about 1 to 2 months late because the guy who does his engine work hurt his back. The engine arrived and was missing the plugs which should have been in place but I was happy with it. It took multiple calls to Mike to ask to be reimbursed for the plugs which he did do. A year later I've had some pinging issues and wanted him to ask his mechanic if there was anything special I need to consider because of the performance cam. I've sent him multiple emails and called and get NO RESPONSE whatsoever. This is extremely disappointing for me. To spend almost 6000 on a remanufactured engine and get no followup support? I'd be trying harder to service the customers if I wanted a good rep in the business. I'm still crossing my fingers regarding the 4.6L engine but I'm getting nervous about the lack of response from GPR.

Old 12-08-2014, 10:51 PM
Mudding
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Or buy my running driving unit.... ?

Quick Reply: Remanufactured 4.6 - Best Option?