Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Remote Starter for Disco II

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2006, 09:24 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 136 Likes on 67 Posts
Default Remote Starter for Disco II

Its starting to get cold here, and I'm wondering if people have recomendations for a remote starter for the Disco...

Thanks

Old 11-03-2006, 10:53 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts
Default RE: Remote Starter for Disco II

I have only heard of a couple of people over the years that have had remote starting added to their Rovers, never heard os a specific brand name though.
Check with shops that install alarms in vehicles and see what they can tell you.
Do no let them mess with any of the factory alarm or you will land up with a night mare for a vehicle.
Mike

Old 11-03-2006, 11:44 AM
Rock Crawling

I didn't know if they made a factory option...

I'd prefer if it steered clear of the alarm altogether... I just want a basic, turn-the-car on setup... I'll find a decent shop to do this.

Old 11-03-2006, 12:55 PM
Drifting
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I actually just put one on my 2004 Disco. It's awesome too. Especially on a day like today when it was 20 out. So last night I turned up the heat, and turned on the seat warmers so when I started this am... It felt really... good. Plus my commute is about 8 or so mintues, so a lot of times the engine never really got to warm up enough to cycle the oil around.

But this is what I got, and what you will need in general.

1)Bulldog RS82 -$42
-This is just the remote start. Nothing more. Installation only requires 3 wires from this box to be connected. Really easy.

2)791 Bypass -$25
-Because the Rover uses a transponder key, it is required to have an extra key inside this box which connects to the RS82.

-Optional-->But I wanted to be able to connect my stock key to the unit, rather than the addditional remote
3)775 Relay -$5
-This connects between the lock wire and the actual remote start box, allows the box to start when the lock button on the remote has been hit 3 times.

On the company's website, the have listed all the wires you would need to connect it to, and what the color of those wires are. Land Rover 03-04 Wire Diagram

If you needed help I'd gladly walk you through it too. If you do go with the Bulldog one I sent you, I could send you a detailed instructions of what to do. Otherwise the company has really great Tech help, as I found out. Anyways, thought I would say what I did with my remote start.

-Angas

PS. Circuit city wanted $159.00 for the base installation of a remote start. Plus whatever supplies and bs they would charge you for. I'm a business major here in college and I was able to figure it out with no problems.

The following users liked this post:
discohollie (03-24-2020)
Old 11-03-2006, 01:18 PM
Rock Crawling

Wow, thats some great info... I'm a little confused about the 3rd piece though--that allows you to use your key instead of the remote thing they have?

Does this lock the doors when the car turns on? Has this messed the alarm up at all?

Old 11-03-2006, 01:25 PM
Drifting
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The 3rd part, the 775 relay, allows you to use the stock remote for the car to start the car. When the lock button on the remote is hit 3 times, it starts the car.

The remote start box has a wire built in that splices into the alarm shut-down wire. (so the black/red wire from the remote start box ---> to the blue/gray wire) So before the car starts it sends a signal to the alarm shut-down wire so the car can start. Otherwise alarm works fine. No issues there at all.

It's pretty easy and straight-forward. Let me know if you've got any other questions.

-Angas

A-train (01-07-2015)
Old 01-28-2019, 12:56 AM
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default hoping you are still on here

Originally Posted by angasreid
I actually just put one on my 2004 Disco. It's awesome too. Especially on a day like today when it was 20 out. So last night I turned up the heat, and turned on the seat warmers so when I started this am... It felt really... good. Plus my commute is about 8 or so mintues, so a lot of times the engine never really got to warm up enough to cycle the oil around.

But this is what I got, and what you will need in general.

1)Bulldog RS82 -$42
-This is just the remote start. Nothing more. Installation only requires 3 wires from this box to be connected. Really easy.

2)791 Bypass -$25
-Because the Rover uses a transponder key, it is required to have an extra key inside this box which connects to the RS82.

-Optional-->But I wanted to be able to connect my stock key to the unit, rather than the addditional remote
3)775 Relay -$5
-This connects between the lock wire and the actual remote start box, allows the box to start when the lock button on the remote has been hit 3 times.

On the company's website, the have listed all the wires you would need to connect it to, and what the color of those wires are. Land Rover 03-04 Wire Diagram

If you needed help I'd gladly walk you through it too. If you do go with the Bulldog one I sent you, I could send you a detailed instructions of what to do. Otherwise the company has really great Tech help, as I found out. Anyways, thought I would say what I did with my remote start.

-Angas

PS. Circuit city wanted $159.00 for the base installation of a remote start. Plus whatever supplies and bs they would charge you for. I'm a business major here in college and I was able to figure it out with no problems.
I would like the detailed instructions for this installation if you still have them. I realize this is maybe a shot in the dark beings as this thread is 12 years old

SadaJones (06-16-2023)
Old 06-16-2023, 06:07 AM
Drifting
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

HI Jason,
Researching this project now myself. Any luck finding a more recent solution?

Old 09-16-2023, 08:10 AM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Google is your friend

Originally Posted by SadaJones
HI Jason,
Researching this project now myself. Any luck finding a more recent solution?

You can use the "wayback machine" to visit the bulldog security site (that's what has been linked for the diagrams) and view their diagrams and possibly videos. It is basically a saved archive of the website from years ago. I went back to like 2016 sometime because i knew the website was live then.

Last edited by Clarkrp1027; 09-16-2023 at 08:12 AM.