Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

removing the cat and egr in a 2000 disco

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2011, 09:03 PM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Spike555
Cats are full of precious metal and Fancy Feast.
oooo..... new signature.

Old 05-25-2011, 11:35 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

youd have to fab in some o2 simulators for the rear to keep the mil light from poppin up, or having the feature dissabled from the ecu completely...problem is, i dont know of any tuning software developed for diy'ers for this pos motor, especially with that purpose in mind lol. you would free up exhuast restriction a good deal which frees up wasted effort on the motors part pushing out the exhuast... even in much bigger motors flowing ALOT more air, popping out the honeycomb in the cats only yields 10-20whp in best conditions, this tiny motor, without a cam to take advantage of it, would probably yield less... especially if you try to calculate in the disturbance resitance in the flow from passing through a hammered out cat box haha, much better off just welding in pipe where the cats are or having someone fab up a header back exhuast. and usually, there are oversized and tune length long tube mandrel bent, ceramic coated headers to helpt the process, and 2x more exhuast valves only thing you can do to these damned things to make them faster is cut the weight drastically and strip them down to barebones... the constant 4x4 and heavy duty framing really sucks the life out of it....but would you really want a disco if it didnt have these features? yours talkin mear jeep wrangler specs at best at that point hahahhaa

Last edited by grandkodiak; 05-25-2011 at 11:39 PM.
Old 05-27-2011, 11:18 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 99 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by Spike555
Cats are full of precious metal and Fancy Feast.
and on a rare ocassion, Meow Mix.

Old 05-28-2011, 07:31 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Draayer
I read about a guy that removed his catalytic converter and egr and said it really helped with performance. I know those are required in some areas but if those items were removed how much would it help performance? Would it create other problems? How about a K&N air filter? Other things similar to that?
The rover I'm getting will be mainly for off road with an occasional road trim to get to the mountains.
Thanks,
First the removal of your cats is a Federal and State violation, granted some counties don't do testing for emissions.
Second you will not gain any performance to speak of and if that was what you were looking for change to a low flow, high performance cats, replace your 02's and do a good tune up.
A K&N filter will at some point kill your MAF, besides getting the crank case full of dirty oil, there is little or no benefit to using their filter.
If you did make the changes, if you ever tried to resell it, most states will not re-title the Disco till all the parts are replaced.

Old 05-28-2011, 09:35 AM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So stock it is!!
Thanks for the replys. It looks like my plan will be to follow the service recommendations that are on this site, keep it stock except for maybe a lift, some custom bumpers, and maybe a rack, and drive it in the mud.
Is it just me, or was the internet created so not so smart car guys like me, can get great advice from very smart car guys like all of you.
Thanks again.

Old 06-26-2011, 11:32 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I don't think you will get much of a noticeable gain, but When I had my Audi A4 B% body, you could install a test pipe which was basically a straight pipe that looked like it had a cat ( I guess the hollowed it out and ran a pipe through it so it looks like a stock cat. In order to not set off the check engine light, they would put spark plug anti foulers on the pipe and then put the o2 sensor on to the spark plug anti foul. The concept was to limit the amount of exhaust getting to the sensor fooling it into thinking the cats were reducing the emissions. It worked on my co-workers car adn his turbo spooled up much faster. They are only a couple bucks for a pair. try different sizes/depths until the one you use doesn't throw a code. (on these engines I'd say the taller one). Disclaimer: I do not condone nor recommend removing any emissions control devices from your truck as it is against state and federal law.

Old 06-27-2011, 07:01 AM
Winching
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by elrocha69
I don't think you will get much of a noticeable gain, but When I had my Audi A4
Forced induction. Different animal entirely. I think I mentioned this WEEKS ago in this thread or another one of these "I'm gonna put 4" sewer pipe back from the manifolds and get FIVE HUNNRT HORSEPOWAH outa this motor without doing anything else!" threads.