Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replace Cam & Lifters??

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2012, 12:08 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replace Cam & Lifters??

I recently picked up an '02 DII with a blown engine (shot rod through block).

I have a replacement low mileage replacement long block ('00 with only 90k on it). I have had the heads gone through and I have read the sticky about rebuilding the engine.

My main question is should I replace the cam & lifters from this replacement long block? It was a known good engine and with 90k on it does it warrant it? I'm not against spending another $500 but if it's not warranted then I won't.

Old 07-27-2012, 12:12 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

IMHO you will have enough other things to spend money on. You are just getting warmed up. Be sure to do oil PSI manual gauge test.

Old 07-27-2012, 12:48 PM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

Since the heads are off anyway, you might be able to pull the lifters and look at the camshaft to see if it needs replacement. They are a pretty common wear item on rover v8's so I hear....

But so are a lot of other things. How far do you want to go?

Old 07-27-2012, 01:26 PM
Overlanding

How far do you want to go .... that is the Million $$ question that I'm trying to figure out.

The bottom end was solid, which is why I got it, so I'm just trying to figure out far to take it. Unless there is a known issue with cam/lifters I'd rather save my $$. At the same time, I don't want to go through all this work only to regret it in a few months.

As for the oil PSI test I had plans to just replace the oil pump anyway. Is this something I should reconsider if the PSI tests ok?

Old 07-27-2012, 02:47 PM
Super Moderator

If you are doing the pump (good idea), still do PSI test afterward. While in there, think about the timing chain. Inspect water pump while off.

Old 07-27-2012, 03:03 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

After reading the sticky, inspect each lifter and lobe per the direction, that will tell you where you stand.
Make sure you throw a new rear main seal on the engine and a front tranny seal if there are any leak indications.

Old 07-27-2012, 04:13 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 74 Likes on 61 Posts

While the motor is out mayswell do all new bearings, crusifix seals, rear main seal and oil pump.
the stuff is cheap and you will have a "like new" motor. If the cam is fine i'd just put new lifters on it. The cam does not "wear out", the hard surface of the cam grinds off due to lubrication issues (low oil pressure, thin oil, low zinc/molly oil) and a lobe goes round in about 100 miles.

Old 07-27-2012, 05:11 PM
Overlanding

What would be the intent of doing all bearings? If the oiling issue was not a problem, to warrant a cam as you suggest, then why would the bearings be suspect?

Additionally, all "old school" rules say that if you replace cam/lifters as a set. Why would that theory not be followed here?

I understand all of the seals and am planning on that as well.

Old 07-27-2012, 06:20 PM
Super Moderator

Maybe pin liners as well

Old 07-27-2012, 09:19 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

I'd just leave well enough alone.
Get her running and use the money you saved and take your family for a weekend trip in the Rover.

Quick Reply: Replace Cam & Lifters??