Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replace Wires Without Removing IM

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2009, 06:54 PM
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default different spark plugs

I was able to remove 6 out of the 8 plugs and replace with new ones, I cant get the wires off the last 2 spark plugs how bad will it be running 6 boshe +4's and 2 champions? (The champions are currently working fine)

Thanks!

Old 10-26-2009, 02:39 PM
Mudding

Removing the intake manifold and doing all the job take me about 1:30 min replacing the ignition coil and wires.. Saturbo1107@youtube.com

Old 11-04-2009, 08:54 PM
1st Gear

I accept with information: Removing the wires from the coil is very difficult, unless you make this wonderful tool. Bend a cheep screwdriver to replicate the one in the image below. It worked perfectly. Cover the working end with electrical tape or shrink tube to (help) prevent SHOCK and to protect your new wires. The tool will easily slip down into the coil area. Simply get under the L portion of the rubber boot and lift the wire off the terminal.

Old 11-09-2009, 08:00 PM
Overlanding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by krigsmakten
Done this on a '99 Disco 2 - without seeing this post - and with a thorough cursing of the engineers who designed the engine and engine bay, as well as their offspring into the 3rd generation, I did it.

Just pieced together my '03 Disco 2 after a head gasket job - and that engine bay is way worse than that of the '99. Pox on secondary air!

Nonetheless, I can see how this can be done even on an '03 - but someone should give the designers a good caning.
How'd that head gasket job go for you? I'm looking at doing the same...maybe. I know my valve covers are leaking a bit and I don't have any other symptoms, but I really worry about this engine. I'm at 97K now and feel like I'm driving a timebomb. It runs great since I completely went through it. Now just a few leaks here and there...nothing too serious. This truck just plain scares me.

Old 02-01-2010, 12:13 PM
4th Gear
Default Broken Magnecor wire at coil pack

While moving slowly through this job. (Thank you for the documentation!)

Putting in the last few wires and let up a bit mentally when almost done, and put a wire in the wrong coil socket. Went to pry it out and with the very flexible materials the Magnecor wires are made with, it would not budge with the "pry" method and the boot of the wire slipped back on the wire exposing the connector hardware. Tried to pry again and it BROKE.

## Careful prying under the L portion of rubber boot with these wires to remove the coil connector end, metal is very thin at the bend and fragile.

Called Magnecor and they said that dealers and shops break these quite often removing them. Offered to sell me one wire to replace plus shipping.

Just wanted to tell everyone to beware if you need to remove them. If I need to again (Head Gasket, etc.) I will try to get my hand in there and work it more gently and with more time. And will not pry at the bend or boot.

About this JOB it went pretty smooth but my hat goes off to those that can do it in a couple of hours. I work on my "paid for cars" about every few years so not a mechanic tinkering, so it took me quite a bit longer than that. Next time would be much faster.

I probably wrestled with the SAI (what does this mean?) tube for about an hour to remove and just left it in.

I recommend leaving the SAI tube in and just moving it out of the way disconnecting it from bracket and clamps. Removing bracket as well gives you more room.

Also removed all wires keeping them in order laid out and then used them to match new set. To remove old wires I used a simple pry bar I got in a set either 12" or 18" long and it worked great on removing the original wires.

Replaced Spark Plugs with a great long handled T-bar ratchet at Harbor Freight that when used with a medium extension made the plugs very easy to get at. Link here: http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=98484

Good Luck,

JC in AZ

2001 Discovery II SD 109,000 miles

FYI - I used the 8mm Magnecor wires #80242 and the Bosch Plus 4 titanium plugs

Last edited by JC in AZ; 02-01-2010 at 12:28 PM.
Old 03-03-2010, 07:20 AM
Overlanding
Default Help...?

Hey guys it's been awhile since I've logged on here, but loved the help in the past. Anyways I just got a 60K service done on my 04 Disco and they recommend they (they = auto shop / they have not done yet) change the number 2 and number 6 spark plug wires, for 400 USD or all of them for 800. First off, it makes sense to change all of them at the same time right? (it does to me anyways, but what do I know; not mechanically inclined in the slightest) and secondly I would like to try and do this myself, to not only save alot of coin, but to spend some time with my truck and learn something alone the way...would you recommend a novice do this? Lastly I've driving up to my parents place from San Antonio (just completed military service; no longer living there) and was wondering if anyone from Chicago/Park Ridge would be available to help me out / show me the ropes. Don't have very many tools and will order the Magnecor...(04 Disco HSE do i get 7 or 8 mm I've seen both?) so they'll be at home when I arrive...also I able to offer compensation for any time/help. Well hopefully that wasn't too long, thanks for your time gents

oh my email address is Robert.Paz@hotmail.com if anyone if the Chicago land area could get in touch with me...thanks again

Rob

Old 03-03-2010, 07:49 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

If you still need any help, send me your tele number and I'll call you, this process is not that hard to do.

Old 03-03-2010, 08:36 AM
Winching
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I emailed you.

Old 03-03-2010, 04:58 PM
Overlanding

Disco Mike I'm trying to contact / pm but I keep getting this message:
Could you please PM or email me Robert.Paz@hotmail.com your number, I've got a few questions for you...I'll throw some of them out here now too for other to answer (if you can) please

A family friend will do all the work for me including parts/labor for 480 total, which would include new spark plug wires, spark plugs, and gaskets...he'll only do LR factory issued parts...I just ordered the Magnacor wires and will get the +4 sparks plugs and work on it myself if it's doable, I know it'll be cheaper that way...just wanted your opinion because he won't do after market products (From what I've read it'll be strong and last longer with AM v. LR parts) and do I need to replace the gaskets? any help would be appreciated thanks rob

Slowball41, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:
  1. Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  2. If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Old 03-04-2010, 09:50 AM
7th Gear

changed my plugs about two weeks ago.. no different than any other vehicle.. 20 minutes and done. I did the wires last night and was done and had test driven it in 1 hour and 15 minutes. I did it with the intake on but im not a big guy...

Quick Reply: Replace Wires Without Removing IM