Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replace Wires Without Removing IM

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2012, 03:08 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default replaced wires & plugs, now won't run properly

Replacing the ignition wires on my 2004 DII ranks right up there with rubbing ground glass in my eyes. The last time I did it I swore I would never do it again, but this time I found myself doing it again because I couldn't figure out how to take the intake manifold off and I was worried about losing fluids in the process.

Anyway, I changed the wires to Magnacor 8.5mm again, along with Bosch double platinum plugs. I made a wiring diagram as I was removing the old wires, and labeled the new wires accordingly. I am 100% certain that I seated the wires on the plugs, and 99% certain about seating the wires on the coil. The trouble is that it's impossible for me to be 100% due to the space limitations. Oh, I also checked the gap on the plugs before installing.

After putting everything back together I fired it up and it sounded like crap. I took it apart again and hand-tested all of the connections, which felt solid. Put it back together.. now it runs very rough and the "service engine" light came on. Is there something I can do to isolate the problem, or do I now have to pay the shop to re-do the 4 hours worth of work I just finished? Thanks in advance for your help!

Old 12-21-2012, 12:18 PM
7th Gear

thanks deepbluewater for the pic man what a job . that worked for me

Old 04-11-2013, 08:49 PM
4wd High

This is very helpful, thanks for these work instructions.

Thanks!

-B

Old 04-11-2013, 09:48 PM
Winching

X2 great write up. If your long armed and skinny hands this is not too bad. Took me 1-2 hours. But I was working slow, careful not to mix up any of the wires. The top inner 2 wires onto the coil packs are the pita. The rest are easy.

Old 06-20-2013, 03:19 PM
2nd Gear

Wanted to give a warm thanks to all you guys. I recently purchased a 2000 "disco" as I hear them called. ( This is my first LR) There seems to be limited amounts of info about these vehicles so this particular thread saved me a ton of time.

I read and followed advice from several of the posts, but essentially made my own way.

I did remove the wiring harness, as per DEEPBLUEWATER (step 3)..many thanks. I was gonna bend a screw driver in my vice, but decided to use my small wonder bar instead. He's right again...that type of tool was a life saver.

Add 30 minutes for reading the thread and it took me 1.5 hours. I did remove both battery terminals as I read something about getting shocked..and chose not to tempt fate.

Oh and 2 beers.

I will say without a doubt, the hardest part was replacing the wires on the coil side. They sounded liked they clicked on, but I discovered that if I could put my index finger underneath them, and push them off....from that angle..well, keep trying. When they click home, you won't push them off.I'd say half the time was spent with wire cylinder 6. Pain in the butt!!!

I did make a diagram of the wiring as I took them off. I can up load if it ya like. I'm pretty sure there's already one here somewhere. But being fairly mechanical minded, I can tell you that if you attempt a plug wire change on any care without a piece of paper and pen...you will regret it. No matter what the vehicle.

As I was saying, many thanks to all of your post it made this experience MUCH MUCH more easy.

Now, next problem..I'd appreciate it if someone could point me in the right direction...MY left rear SLS airbag inflates when it chooses...I've read the threads about conversions, about using tire inflator and all the other stuff ($140 at parts geek.com for a new one). I truly believe that what I need is a vacuum diagram of the entire truck as well as of just the SLS. Any help would be greatly appreciated before I dive into this.

Old 06-20-2013, 04:37 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Something like this. Also note that most of what you need is in the RAVE tech manual set, free download links below.

The SLS is not a vacuum, it is air pressure. A spray bottle of soapy water will find leaks just like on the old inner tube.

Old 06-21-2013, 11:58 AM
2nd Gear

Wire #4 was the pain. Not #6. My bad.

Old 08-12-2013, 05:55 PM
5th Gear
Default tool list

anyone ever list tools needed, specifically what size wrenches/sockets. i have to borrow them from work...
thx

Old 08-12-2013, 06:57 PM
Drifting

Excellent schematic, Buzz!

Old 10-05-2013, 11:25 PM
4th Gear

Bought my 03 Disco today with a misfire on cylinders 1 and 3, spent 4 hours trying to remove the IM with no success. Hopefully this write up will solve my problem!

Quick Reply: Replace Wires Without Removing IM