Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replace Wires Without Removing IM

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2009, 03:07 PM
Overlanding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile Just finished

Thanks to the very detailed directions, this was a relatively simple job. That last wiring diagram helped tremendously. I think removing that SAI tube from against the firewall is the worst part of all.

I used Magnacor wires and was a bit worried about reading some people saying they don't fit right. I did feel the positive click then they were inserted into the coil pack. I had my helper assist me in this project because her hands are much smaller than mine. I must say that it's really not to difficult for a woman's small hands to do the job! She snapped them in quickly! Only downside is that it cost me almost $400 for the wife's assistance (a new purse...), but we had a great time together!

Thanks all for the instructions and comments as this would have been a big pain without them to figure all of this out.

Attached Thumbnails  Replace Wires Without Removing IM-img_0266.jpg    Replace Wires Without Removing IM-img_0264.jpg  
Old 09-07-2009, 04:52 PM
Winching
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by scubasteve
Thanks to the very detailed directions, this was a relatively simple job. That last wiring diagram helped tremendously.
Which wiring diagram are you referring to? Link?

Old 09-07-2009, 05:48 PM
Overlanding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by oysterhead
Which wiring diagram are you referring to? Link?
see Post # 53 for the diagram. I just removed all of the wires and then referred to the diagram to put everything back in order rather than one at a time.

On another note, just completed the 90K service in a day and a half at a slow pace. I just took my time and moved on from one task to the other. The truck now runs so smooth and the transmission shifts so much smoother than the flush.

I wish I would have done this earlier, but better late than never.

I would highly recommend this project to anyone even contemplating taking it to a dealer or even an indy. It just takes patience, that's all.

Old 09-07-2009, 05:52 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

ScubaSteve...LOVE your screen name!!!

And is it just me or is there nothing hotter than a woman laying on top of a Rover engine?

Good work Steve and Steve's wife.

Old 09-08-2009, 03:42 PM
Winching
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I did it last night and it took about 1.5hr and all i removed was the MAF and accompanying tube.

My helpful hint is:

I climbed up from the brush gaurd and put my knees down right in front of the radiator/fan, placing my right forearm on the IM, I was right on top of them, could see the packs and reached all of them from the top.

I also pulled out all 8 plugs, cleaned up, checked for black/white, and put back in - I put new +4's about 30 days ago.

Old 09-22-2009, 03:59 AM
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default All Finished, Finally!

Did the wires and plugs today, took about 6hrs (I'm mechanically declined, and have meat hooks for hands). I took the top wires off the coil and pulled those plugs first then attached the new wires to the plugs. I didn't want to mix the wires up, so, I used a black Sharpie to mark the wires near the coil boot to make it easier when I re-assembled them. Then I had to remove the entire bracket for the Secondary air to get my hands in far enough to get the bottom row of wires off the coil pack. I used 11" needle nose pliers with a 90 degree bend to pull them. I could get them onto the boots and twist a little to free the wires, seemed to work pretty well. My biggest problem was having to lay on top of the engine to see the coils, I'm a little sore. I used 8mm Magnecor's and Autolite XP3924 plugs. It seems to run pretty good on them so far. Don't want to have to do that again though. But, local shop wanted $900 to do the job. I spent all of about $140 for the parts. I'll use the rest for upgrades...

Old 09-30-2009, 05:58 AM
8th Gear
Default It works

Done this on a '99 Disco 2 - without seeing this post - and with a thorough cursing of the engineers who designed the engine and engine bay, as well as their offspring into the 3rd generation, I did it.

Just pieced together my '03 Disco 2 after a head gasket job - and that engine bay is way worse than that of the '99. Pox on secondary air!

Nonetheless, I can see how this can be done even on an '03 - but someone should give the designers a good caning.

Old 10-04-2009, 05:58 PM
4th Gear
Default Wires Replaced on 2000 Disco <engine mil>

Today I replaced my ignition wires following the instructions on this forum without removing is IM. Took 3 hrs. but not difficult. Used 7mm Magacores. Took it for a spin and much improvement - previously missfires but now running smooth. I still get the "service engine soon" light. Is this telling me I still have a problem? or can I reset. Any support appreciated.
Thanks.

Old 10-12-2009, 12:09 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Get your codes read at a local Autozone or Adv. Auto or what ever you have near you. Write the codes down for your info, and have them clear them after you have them read. Then you can see if the SEL comes back on once you drive it. If the service engine light comes back on, have the codes read again, write them down and then look through the forum for the code #s to begin to translate what may still need attention.

Last edited by Rover_Hokie; 10-12-2009 at 12:32 AM.
Old 10-14-2009, 10:41 AM
6th Gear

Has anyone taken the IM off before? how long did it take and did it make life easier?

Quick Reply: Replace Wires Without Removing IM