Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacement Fresh Air Intake Plenum

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2014, 03:12 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 245 Likes on 230 Posts
Default Replacement Fresh Air Intake Plenum

All,

My intake plenum is missing a piece at the end and let me tell you, it is a drag. When it rains, water pours down through the air conditioning setup and if the drain holes are plugged it end up on the carpet. They do plug up, because it also lets leaves in, all of which end up on my fan and cause it to be unbalanced until I empty it out (once a week). I have dealt with this for some time but I am ready for a fix.

I have found OEM intake plenums for about 260, and I found this one for $190: LAND ROVER FRONT WIPER PANEL COVER DISCOVERY 2 II 99 – 04 JAK000010PMA MB | Miami British. Aside from the cheaper price I am wondering whether there is anything to the claim that fiberglass is stronger. Also, I would swear that I read that though part specifies for my 2000 Disco II, it has to be modified somehow; but I can't find that post and am wondering whether I imagined it or whether it might have been for a Disco I. I prefer not to get a used one because our black plastic gets BRITTLE--I have broken and replaced just about all of it.

Does anyone have experience with this? I know I could use duct tape, sponges, and chewing gum to fix it but the first one lasted 14 years, give or take, and I would rather just make it look nice. Any input would be appreciated.

Best,

Charlie_V

Old 05-23-2014, 05:35 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

I bought this and it does not fit properly!!! It's to thick in many places and the mounting holes did not line up. Also It chips and scratches very easy and shows the white underneath. All in all I wish I would have purchased the OEM.

Old 05-23-2014, 06:00 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my windshield had to be replaced and they wouldn't do it unless this piece could be replaced because it broke upon removal and is required to protect the edges (most fragile part) of the windshield.

The replaced it and the a pillar trim with brand new pieces and now it leaks as you describe. Can't find where its leaking from though. Seems to fit okay but it did come bare without any of the covers or anything to hold it in place

Old 05-24-2014, 11:14 AM
Camel Trophy

Originally Posted by ralphobell
I bought this and it does not fit properly!!! It's to thick in many places and the mounting holes did not line up. Also It chips and scratches very easy and shows the white underneath. All in all I wish I would have purchased the OEM.
Thanks for that. I'm not going to spend 200 for something that doesn't work. Bummer.

Old 05-24-2014, 11:20 AM
Camel Trophy

Originally Posted by sidescrollin
my windshield had to be replaced and they wouldn't do it unless this piece could be replaced because it broke upon removal and is required to protect the edges (most fragile part) of the windshield.

The replaced it and the a pillar trim with brand new pieces and now it leaks as you describe. Can't find where its leaking from though. Seems to fit okay but it did come bare without any of the covers or anything to hold it in place
I have never had to have mine replaced and I am thankful. Aside from the expense of the windshield, those trim pieces on the right and left and the intake plenum are so brittle I am afraid to touch them, even though I have replaced the right and left pieces.

Rovers North sells all of the parts and gaskets but it is a major expense. The rubber, the foam, the plastic itself... Really adds up. One careless moment with the hood (taking it off to replace the engine) put me in this spot.

I have not had the intake plenum off but there is something over the last opening that leads to the air conditioner that is supposed to keep leaves and debris out. I suspect that is your problem and mine too.

Old 05-24-2014, 11:24 AM
Camel Trophy

This is my bad side...

Name:  output.jpg
Views: 1744
Size:  87.5 KB

This is what is is supposed to look like...

Name:  output_1.jpg
Views: 1773
Size:  88.0 KB