Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacing caliper boots?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2009, 09:26 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Personally I would just replace the whole caliper.
If you rebuild it you will still have to bleed it.
Land Rover recommended flushing out all the old brake fluid and replacing it with new every 24 months no matter the miles.
Brake fluid absorbs moisture so it is a good idea to replace it.
It is pain but your braking system will thank you.
EDIT:always replace brake parts in pairs, so both calipers on the same axle at the same time.

Old 08-17-2009, 09:46 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hmmm... ok.. so then how hard is it to bleed? and do i have to bleed only the front, or the whole system?

Old 08-17-2009, 09:54 PM
TReK
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Bleeding is easy just try not to lose too much fluid. You only really only run into problems if air gets up in your master cylinder or ABS module. You can just use the regular old pump the brake bleeding technique.

Old 08-17-2009, 09:56 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by hollis
hmmm... ok.. so then how hard is it to bleed? and do i have to bleed only the front, or the whole system?
There is a sticky on how to on the top of the page.
Yes do the whole system.

Old 08-18-2009, 03:45 AM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

great thanks!!!

Old 08-18-2009, 09:29 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

A quick reply. By your questions, don't take this personally, but you don't know how nor would I suggest you try rebuilding a caliper.
First, why are you thinking you need to do something to your caliper and which one? If it is the front, you will need to do them in pairs otherwise you risk the chance of having a bad brake pull if only one is replaced.

Old 08-18-2009, 12:09 PM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

You can reduce fluid loss when doing brake work by opening a bleed screw with a hose attached and fed in to a container, then slowly depressing your brake pedal and wedging it fully depressed while you do whatever work it is you need to do.

Old 11-21-2014, 09:59 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am in the middle of rebuilding my calipers and I can't seem to get the piston back in. Has anybody rebuilt theirs and if so how did you get them back in after replacing the square cut seal?

Old 11-21-2014, 10:07 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

cover the piston and seal in brake fluid so the will slide easy. Now the dust boot is a different story line the piston up on the dustboot and blow a small volume of air into the hose fitting.
the air will cause the dust seal to expands out over the piston allowing you to install the piston

Old 11-21-2014, 10:50 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by drowssap
cover the piston and seal in brake fluid so the will slide easy. Now the dust boot is a different story line the piston up on the dustboot and blow a small volume of air into the hose fitting.
the air will cause the dust seal to expands out over the piston allowing you to install the piston
I rubbed the pison in brake fluid and still can't get them in. I've even tried with a c clamp. The Pistons are clean and smooth and I lubed he seal with brake fluid too, I can't figure out why they are so tough. I've done this on other cars in the past and I can usually get it in by hand.

Quick Reply: Replacing caliper boots?