Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

replacing ecu (main computer)

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2008, 06:34 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default replacing ecu (main computer)

I have had a year of problems with my disco and never been able to find the root until now. We have found that due to the salt on the roads in mn my wheel well rusted through and then my computer box ruted through and everything has been going haywire. Anyway I got a used computer from the same year in good shape and plugged it in and my disco wont start. Is there anyway to get this to work without bringing it to a dealer? Please help me get this running!

Old 01-29-2008, 07:43 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts
Default RE: replacing ecu (main computer)

Depends on the year, usually you can't do a plug and play, some models also need the matching BCU with matching number, some need to be set up by the dealer and boy if it can be done it is expensive.

Old 01-30-2008, 08:22 AM
Drifting

so you are telling me that Land Rover makes it so difficult to replace the computer that it is going to cost more than its worth to get it running? Does anyone have any practical advice? If this is in fact the case then all the roomers are true, these things are really pieces of trash.

Old 01-30-2008, 08:45 AM
Mudding

I'm not sure if this will help you or not but I had a problem with the ECU on my BMW 325i a few years back. I got a used one and put it in but it didn't work. What I had to do is open up the unit and replace one of the chips (car specific) with one from my old ECU. It wasn't that hard because the chip was right on top and could relatively easily be pulled out and plugged back in (but you have to be very delicate). It was a bosche system .......... I'm not sure what these trucks have.

A side note is that I remember I had to make sure the numbers on the top of the ECU matched up. I was told that there were different units put out based upon the features that the car had (not sure if this is true or not).

I'm sorry I feel your pain........Good luck

Old 01-30-2008, 08:49 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

ORIGINAL: rravenn13

so you are telling me that Land Rover makes it so difficult to replace the computer that it is going to cost more than its worth to get it running? Does anyone have any practical advice? If this is in fact the case then all the roomers are true, these things are really pieces of trash.
Rovers are no pieces of trash because you can't fix it the way you wanted to, many maqnufactures are set up the same way.
With your attitude, I would suggest you sell it and buy something more toward your liking.

Old 01-30-2008, 08:50 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

its the security system that makes it so,
there is a rolling code sent from the security module to the engine ecm for startup
when you swap the engine ecm the signal (british call it the hand shake between modules)
is not correct, land rover has done this for security and people stealing the rovers not
to mess you up. it takes a few minutes to set the configuation with a computer to get it going.

Old 01-30-2008, 11:05 AM
TReK
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

It sounds like Land Rover isnt the car for you. I would recommend a japanesse rice mobile or something that doesnt have quite the personality as a Rover. If you were not aware that you would run into security problems while replacing an ECU then SURLY LR is not for you, or any other car for that reason. You can't plug n' play with any ECU, ever, on any vehicle, unless its a low budget junker.

I dont know what "roomers" you have heard, but the RUMORS i heard is that if you educated yourself on a vehicle you wont get somad at it. Just take your time and fix it right.

Old 01-30-2008, 11:32 AM
Drifting

Boy oh boy you guys sure get sensitive. I bet your mommies still tuck you in at night and tell you your special!

Old 01-30-2008, 12:15 PM
TReK
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

HAHAHA! That determines the type of person you are. Be smart and know that to come onto a rover forum and call them trash is not the brightest thing to do. I wish you good luck and hope you fix your rover. We will just leave it at that, because this forum isn’t for arguing.

The following users liked this post:
Disco#Steve (11-16-2022)
Old 01-30-2008, 08:35 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

I like when my mom tucks me in, and I LOVE my Superman footy pj's.

The following users liked this post:
defenderholty (03-21-2024)

Quick Reply: replacing ecu (main computer)