Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacing exhaust silencer muffler or wait and do entire system

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2014, 05:46 PM
TReK
Received 86 Likes on 59 Posts
Default Replacing exhaust silencer muffler or wait and do entire system

While changing the Transmission fluid/filter I noticed my exhaust silencer muffler is leaking air on the side of it. No noticeable holes per say but the leak is spewing out from where the two pieces of metal are folded and welded onto eachother on the side. Anyways it will cost roughly $150-$200 for a new muffler plus labor so Im thinking that will be about $350-400 total just for a muffler replacement.

My truck is already inspected and Im leaving for Alaska in April so the truck will yet again be parked for half a year until I get back. Should I replace it now or wait until I get back with more cash? Ive been eyeballing the Magnaflow stainless steel exhaust system from Atlantic British for awhile now and I think I will buy it once I return from Alaska.

I dont know anything about exhaust work so Im not sure how mechanics go about replacing just a muffler. Do they have to drop most of the system so they can wield the new muffler into place? If so it seems stupid to have the exhaust lowered now and again later in the year.

Im just worried about the side effects a leaky muffler will have on my vehicles performance if any at all in the mean time.

The complete stainless steel lifetime warranty Magnaflow system is just under $600 so that sounds very reasonable.

Land Rover Discovery II Exhaust System - Magnaflow Cat-Back - Single-Exit / Single-Tip

Old 01-01-2014, 07:56 PM
Winching
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm a bit confused at what you're asking. Are you talking about just the resonator at the very back?

A leak there isn't going to effect performance at all. If it bothers you though just cut it off, get a $10 exhaust turn down tip at a parts store and throw it on there with a clamp.

I don't see why you'd spend even $50 to replace it if you are looking at the magnaflow kit because it doesn't even use one that I can tell.

I think it's just throwing money away to spend that to fix it.

Old 01-01-2014, 08:56 PM
TReK

Originally Posted by Madlands
I'm a bit confused at what you're asking. Are you talking about just the resonator at the very back?

A leak there isn't going to effect performance at all. If it bothers you though just cut it off, get a $10 exhaust turn down tip at a parts store and throw it on there with a clamp.

I don't see why you'd spend even $50 to replace it if you are looking at the magnaflow kit because it doesn't even use one that I can tell.

I think it's just throwing money away to spend that to fix it.

# 3: Discovery II Exhaust Pipe, Hanger, Muffler - Rovers North - Classic Land Rover Parts

The question is should I deal with it now or wait until I can afford a entire new SS exhaust system? and will a leak in this part effect the performance of my truck? Will it trigger fault codes?

Old 01-01-2014, 11:12 PM
Winching
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I see now. I thought you were talking about #1 since I usually don't think of a muffler as a silencer.

The welds broke on mine going into the muffler and a local shop welded it back up for $20. He was able to weld it without dropping the whole exhaust system. I didn't notice a performance change and it didn't cause any codes.

I have heard of leaking exhaust causing problems when people sit idling and the fumes come up through the cab. A few years back my buddies grandfather was sick for about 6months and they couldn't find out why he kept feeling worse and worse. Turned out his car had an exhaust leak that was filling the cab. He was also a senator so maybe he had just upset the wrong person.

Old 01-02-2014, 12:31 AM
TReK

Ill look into that as an temporary option for now. Gonna get the SS exhaust later this year no matter what. Im not often sure of the names of parts on our trucks so I use the Rovers North schematics.

Old 01-02-2014, 05:59 AM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

The problem with leaving the truck laid up for months is the condensation and acids in the exhaust system eat away and corrode from the inside out. If it's going to be laid up and unused for weeks/months then fit the new exhaust later after you return. Given the choice, I always go the stainless steel route by experience as they are overall far superior than aftermarket carbon steel and genuine OEM LR cost more than stainless custom systems. I must admit that my original LR main silencer lasted over 10 years and 120k miles and it's in the storage container as a spare if needed and is still good. (you never know if the peeps at the testing station will object to the straight through exhaust - hedging my bets )

Old 01-11-2014, 10:12 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts

I installed the Magnaflow on my 01. (from the muffler back) about 3 years ago.
It does increase the cab noise but very happy with it.
The muffler is the only "true stainless" piece. the pipes will rust over time. That surprised me when I read stainless...i figured the pipes and clamps would be good and shiny forever.
no biggie.
Would do it again.

Old 09-16-2019, 01:55 AM
Mudding
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by OffroadFrance
The problem with leaving the truck laid up for months is the condensation and acids in the exhaust system eat away and corrode from the inside out. (you never know if the peeps at the testing station will object to the straight through exhaust - hedging my bets )
Internally rotting away 24/7 it never stops as mentioned above until the tubing especially mufflers and resonators become paper thin rust you can poke a finger through.
Running "straight through exhaust" no mufflers or resonators at all that's totally illegal, i'd bet in all 50 states. Instant cop bait.
You should be able to install any muffler or resonator combination to your liking but only after the Cats (called Cat back exhaust systems) but must keep within the maximum dB limits which can vary state to state. Same muffler different V8 engine returning higher or lower dB numbers. This along the same lines of tinted windows state to state.
You must decide is the LR a keeper then install a stainless system or you a every 3-4 years trading in vehicles person then stainless would be a waste of money. The next owner would thank you.
I have yet to see a "Perfect Fit" exhaust system install, very rarely while hanging around a friend's muffler shop helping out at times the past 23 years. Some manufactures just fit up better than others in general. Hope you got a good one as Magnaflow one time sent stainless down pipes "Y" that wouldn't fit at all. Each 3 bolt down pipe flange was off, one rotated 7 1/4 degrees, other 11 1/2 degrees to the two 3 into 1 exhaust manifolds (straight six) 325is BMW. Magnaflow tells me "you must have modified exhaust manifolds". Sent photos the old vs their "Y" down pipes, big as day Ray Charles could see the problem. Magnaflow manufactured in SoCal by I bet cheap Mexican labor. Dave Borla the worst exhaust person dealings ever with their "million mile exhaust warranty". Took his dad answering the phone after 5 months calling several times battling with Dave to get a defective muffler exchanged. I found out later it was a known Borla muffler design problem requiring correcting. Finally daddy Borla contact apologizing how Junior handled my muffler defect daddy exchanged the muffler. Had to buy the second one first, ship the old then get credit back. Asked about the "million mile" paperwork, told "it's in their computer" no warranty paperwork sent to me. hand. Just be careful who your dealing with including "no returns on discontinued brands of mufflers or exhaust systems". Read the small print......~~=o&o>.......

Last edited by BierNut; 09-16-2019 at 02:12 AM.