Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacing o2 sensor this weekend

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2012, 08:00 AM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing o2 sensor this weekend

Will be attempting an o2 sensor replacement this weekend on the driver side front (i.e. pre cat).

Recieved the sensor and removal bracket in the post yesterday from Atlantic British (came with a small container inlcuded), and have read through the Rave manual as well.

I have heard however that it might be useful to run engine for two minutes prior o removal and then spray lubricant where the sensor enters the exhaust to assist removal, have also heard that the 02 sensor is a bit delicate and easily damaged, any thoughts from those who have replced them before?

I am awaiting the other 3 sensors which i have bought separately (privately), does it matter if i don't replace them at the same time or should i just wait ang get them all done at the same time?

Any other tips on removing the 02 sensors and re-instating them from the experts much appreciated as have not done this before!

Cheers,

J

Old 09-07-2012, 08:25 AM
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I personally would wait to get the others. I would crawl under truck and doushe them with pb blaster now and let it work then repeat pb blaster a few hours before you plan to remove. Running the engine for a few minutes makes everything else hot so if you have a torch you can isolate only the area around the o2 sensors, you don't want to heat it to much or the metal will get soft and can strip out.
Make sure your connections are clean when you plug the new ones in.

Old 09-07-2012, 08:33 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 43 Likes on 41 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Jadreigo
Will be attempting an o2 sensor replacement this weekend on the driver side front (i.e. pre cat).

Recieved the sensor and removal bracket in the post yesterday from Atlantic British (came with a small container inlcuded), and have read through the Rave manual as well.

I have heard however that it might be useful to run engine for two minutes prior o removal and then spray lubricant where the sensor enters the exhaust to assist removal, have also heard that the 02 sensor is a bit delicate and easily damaged, any thoughts from those who have replced them before?

I am awaiting the other 3 sensors which i have bought separately (privately), does it matter if i don't replace them at the same time or should i just wait ang get them all done at the same time?

Any other tips on removing the 02 sensors and re-instating them from the experts much appreciated as have not done this before!

Cheers,

J

I replaced my pre-cat o2's recently w/o any issues. And I didn't use the special O2 socket either. Didn't really need penetrating lube. Just run the engine to get them hot (a little thermal expansion should help break the loose. Be careful, it's gonna be a hot zone.

It's fine to replace them individuality as needed. However, they should be replace in pairs to achieve max efficiency.

Make sure you use the copper anti-seize that is provided w/ the new O2's. Try not to get the copper on the sensing instrument head.

After the new O2's are installed, make sure the wire bugs are well secured out of harms way from extreme exhaust heat and the prop-shaft. Wire-tie them well.

Old 09-07-2012, 08:42 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

Just use a 7/8's wrench and put some stank on it. It will budge, pretty simple job. Sometimes it can be tricky connecting the wiring plugs but that comes with practice. The special O2 wrench is a waste of money. PB blaster will help if it's really stuck.

Old 09-07-2012, 09:06 AM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

Do them all at once. Use PB Blaster the evening before on all 4 fittings to break the rust down for easier removal.

Old 09-07-2012, 09:09 AM
Mudding
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

....I would also use dielectric grease on the connectors.

Old 09-07-2012, 09:12 AM
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
Do them all at once. Use PB Blaster the evening before on all 4 fittings to break the rust down for easier removal.
This is the correct way as i posted earlier on.

Old 09-07-2012, 06:00 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Default My experience

I bought a set of four (Bosch) in preps for doing them all simultaneously. Rear ones were a piece of cake to break loose (I didn't heat up truck because I knew I'd end up burning the hell out of myself). The problem with the rears, however, was that I could not reach the connectors to disconnect. They were way up in the frame somewhere - there was no way I was going to reach them.

I did some web searching and saw that there were some Bosch's with a universal connector kit available. I really didn't want to go this route, but it seemed like the only option. I was pleasantly surprised that it wasn't too difficult to perform; once I received I knocked them out in an hour.

Driver's front came out with just a little Liquid Wrench. Connector was easy to reach.

Passenger front is the easiest to access. Wouldn't you know that this sensor was seemingly welded in place, and truly kicked my a**. Fought it off and on all weekend with copious quantities of Liquid Wrench and various other products applied periodically. No dice. I took the truck to Meineke thinking they might have to heat it up. Wouldn't you know the kid they assigned to work it broke the thing loose at about 20 ft-lbs or so. He looked at me like I was a lightweight or something. Obviously I loosened it up for him...

Seems like some members knock this job out in an hour or so, but based on my experience, there are some potential pitfalls. My advice is to check connector access first - make sure you can reach the back ones. Then try to break loose sensors. Do not cut wires before removing sensors!

Hope this helps, and I hope yours come out easily!

DRW