Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacing the radiator! HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2012, 05:37 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Replacing the radiator! HELP!

The plastic nipple on the upper driver side of the radiator has cracked and seem non-repairable. Time to replace it I guess. Is this a difficult project?Anyone care to offer any instructions or insight on this project? Im looking at $150 labor to have it done and just cant afford to pay this and buy tires(ran over a Razor blade this weekend).

I bought my radiator brand new from Planet Jeep for $145 shipped. Other places had it at or above $300. What do you guys think about this purchase?

NEW Land Rover Discovery II Radiator LIFETIME WARRANTY | eBay

Old 01-23-2012, 07:42 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

You may have bought your self a problem in the form of a cheap Asian radiator that won't hold up.
As for what is involved, down load a free copy of a Rave CD and read up on what it takes, make sure to replace the t/stat and switch from Dexcool to Peak or some other better coolant.
As for the life time warranty, isn't any good if you if it fails and you over heat your engine, so be careful.

Old 01-23-2012, 07:59 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

With the money you saved, invest in an Ultra Gauge ($70), which can monitor lots of things on your truck, incluidng coolant temp, with an alarm point you set. So if rad starts going south, you'll be in the know.

Be sure to draw a diagram of your fan belt route if you plan to take it off.

Attached Thumbnails Replacing the radiator! HELP!-ultra-gauge.jpg  
Old 01-23-2012, 09:30 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

It is a pretty simple job and you don't need any specific tools really. A few notes/hints about doing it:
As mentioned, print out the instructions from the Rave manual. Easy to follow.
The "scrivet" things for the grill can be a pain. You need to get something flat and skinny under them and pry up while unscrewing them a little.
You will need to top up both the oil and transmission fluid as those coolers come off while doing it. Might as well just take the opportunity to change both anyway, especially the transmission as topping that up is a pain regardless.
I don't remember if you have to take the fan and fan clutch off too (I did the water pump at the same time I did the radiator so I did). If so, look up some tips on getting that sucker off.