Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacing rear door subs

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2007, 10:00 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing rear door subs

I have a 1998 Discovery, and I am replacing the subs in the back. Now please bear with me I did spend some time searching and didnt find the answer to my question. I bought some Polk db521's 4 ohm speakers from circuit city, and my friend is helping me put them in. Were not sure what the proper way to connect the wires is though. There are two sets of 4 wires. one pairs of red and one pair of black for each set. Obviously the speakers i purchased only have one + and one - each and on the stock subs each speaker had 4 wires hooked up. Can anyone tell me the proper way to hook these up. From the first set of 4 wires, my friend hooked up one red as + and the other red as - for the first speaker. From the second set of 4, he hooked up one black as + and the other black as -. we tried it and we got audio, but my other speakers had this real staticy sound. I assume what we did was wrong. maybe one of you guys can help me out. Thanks.

Old 06-21-2007, 10:43 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default RE: Replacing rear door subs

no idea. I have a 97 and it had just 4 wires. Must have changed. Was the amp mounted on the back of the speakers?

Old 06-22-2007, 07:16 AM
Three Wheeling

From my limited experience playing with car stereo and electricity, your + indicates your supply, and your - indicates you return. Hook up the red to your + and black to your - end. The main thing you want to do is be sure the speakers are "in phase" with the rest of your speakers otherwise they will sound like garbage, if you can look at one of thefactory speakers it may serve as a guide for you.Other wise grab a volt meter and make sure your power flow is going from + to -.

Hope this helps a little,I'm not professional, I've just hacked around a bit in many of my vehicles.

Old 06-22-2007, 10:04 AM
Rock Crawling

I'm guessing the factory subs had dual voice coils and the amp powered each separately (some of the new Monsoon systems do this). I'm not sure how to fix your issue without getting a new amp. You could try splicing the wires together, but you might hurt something.