Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacing a water pump as PM?

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2007 | 11:07 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Default RE: Replacing a water pump as PM?

ORIGINAL: jwfuller

ORIGINAL: 98roverguy

Not to turn this into a money pit, but you may want to replace the fan too, they get brittle and can fly apart putting a dent in your hood (so I have read).
Anybody else before I put inmy lastparts order? Perhaps an engine rebuild while I'm in there?
Well I know it sucks now, but you'll feel more confident on the road knowing what youv'e done. Months ago the bearings on my water pump failed grenading the fan this at roughly 70,000. Still have a tiny dent in my hood from when she blew. The result? Had to do a head job and replace all coolant components. EVERYTHING except the heater core. Now am very confident when driving it. Just this weekend while replacing the battery I looked down at the heads and thought "damn, I did a good job" no leaks and runs great. I'll add one more thing, get a coolant hose kit and replace em.

Old 09-25-2007 | 12:48 PM
|
Mudding

ORIGINAL: 98roverguy
Well I know it sucks now, but you'll feel more confident on the road knowing what youv'e done. Months ago the bearings on my water pump failed grenading the fan this at roughly 70,000. Still have a tiny dent in my hood from when she blew. The result? Had to do a head job and replace all coolant components. EVERYTHING except the heater core. Now am very confident when driving it. Just this weekend while replacing the battery I looked down at the heads and thought "damn, I did a good job" no leaks and runs great. I'll add one more thing, get a coolant hose kit and replace em.
These posts have definately made me feel more confidant about the PMing of parts while I'm on a job. That's pretty wild that that between the clutch and the water pump you have a time bomb under there. Right along with that whole ungreasable u-joint thing.

Old 09-25-2007 | 03:31 PM
TReK

These posts have definately made me feel more confidant about the PMing of parts while I'm on a job. That's pretty wild that that between the clutch and the water pump you have a time bomb under there. Right along with that whole ungreasable u-joint thing.
[/quote]

Proper maintenance will defuse the time bomb.
And the Disco I's have u-joints that are greasable, OEM.
So all is not lost.

Old 09-25-2007 | 04:46 PM
|
Mudding

That fan kit I was looking at for 239 on atlantic british (and making me balk at changing the fan)is actually clutch and fan. I thought it was just the fan! So, advice taken, thanks, I'm going to change the whole kit while I'm at it.