Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Right foot falls asleep

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2019, 09:01 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 109 Likes on 76 Posts
Default Right foot falls asleep

So... I've owned my D2 for about 6k miles now / a few months.
It wasnt long before I noticed that my right leg/foot started tingling and wanting to fall asleep while driving. (jokes are welcomed)

I'm 47 so I've owned a wide variety of cars and SUV's and have never had this issue before.
I do think the leg room for someone over 6' is a bit odd in this vehicle, but quite doable obviously.
I've tried adjusting the tilt of the seat.
I've done the "more leg room" mod to gain about 3" of leg room.
My first drive with the mod was this morning - a 30 min commute to work.
About half way in, my right foot started tingling again. Adjusted the seat a bit, nothing changed.

I suppose I'm curious if anyone else has experienced this in their D2 and what your thoughts are.

Odd that before I did the mod, I drove like 5 hours around the mountains on Saturday with no issues.
Its somewhat random but consistent enough that it deserves some attention.

My D2 is an SD without leather - its the dura guard fabric, so no idea if that matters.
The left bottom bolster is worn a bit, but not visible. I was going to swap seat cushions from passenger to driver since the passenger is like new. Hoping that might help a bit.

Thanks for your thoughts.........

Scott (trying not to be a dweeb)

Old 04-16-2019, 09:44 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts

Is the seat all the way down, and can you raise it all the way up without hitting your head on the ceiling? At 5'6" mine fits like a glove (Why I love D2's). Also try leaning the seat rearward.

Old 04-16-2019, 09:48 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 387 Likes on 293 Posts

Yes, I'm 6' and have experienced the same thing, not so much in my foot but in my right leg. The seating position in these things is a bit funky. I like to raise the front of the seat under my knees and drop the rear of the seat under my spine so my knees are closer to a 90° angle, but neither of those positions go far enough. Then reclining the backrest to accommodate for being closer to the wheel raises the angle of the armrest too far. The tilt wheel is a joke and practically unnecessary due to the limited travel. And if the seat slid back any further the rear seats would be about unusable. I don't get it. For such a large vehicle it affords a small interior space.

Old 04-16-2019, 09:58 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Sorry to hear that... would you mind posting a link to the 3" seat mod?

Old 04-16-2019, 09:58 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 137 Likes on 120 Posts

How much do you weigh?

Not being a smartass...

Old 04-16-2019, 10:02 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 851 Likes on 634 Posts

It's called getting old. lol
I'm 49 btw...

Old 04-16-2019, 10:06 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 229 Likes on 182 Posts

I have not had my leg fall asleep but...I have had hip issues after a long day on the trail. I am a left foot braker and what I did was adjust the pitch of the seat so that my butt is lower than my knees. You may want to adjust the pitch and see how that affects your leg.

Old 04-16-2019, 10:09 AM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by losinov
Sorry to hear that... would you mind posting a link to the 3" seat mod?
This is one that I used - https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...rs-seat-50564/

Originally Posted by shanechevelle
How much do you weigh?

Not being a smartass...
209 as of this morning

Originally Posted by JUKE179r
It's called getting old. lol
I'm 49 btw...
Ha... well... My Volvo XC70 is a freaking dream by comparison and I have zero issues in that car. Those seats are awesome and its an 03

Old 04-16-2019, 10:10 AM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by ahab
Yes, I'm 6' and have experienced the same thing, not so much in my foot but in my right leg. The seating position in these things is a bit funky. I like to raise the front of the seat under my knees and drop the rear of the seat under my spine so my knees are closer to a 90° angle, but neither of those positions go far enough. Then reclining the backrest to accommodate for being closer to the wheel raises the angle of the armrest too far. The tilt wheel is a joke and practically unnecessary due to the limited travel. And if the seat slid back any further the rear seats would be about unusable. I don't get it. For such a large vehicle it affords a small interior space.
I'll play with this a bit as I was doing the opposite and lowering the front of the seat thinking it was a compression issue.

Old 04-16-2019, 10:45 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 167 Likes on 130 Posts

My legs would hurt after more than about 30mins of driving. I modified my seat rails to allow about an inch more travel which helped immensely.

Quick Reply: Right foot falls asleep