Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rotella or Royal Purple?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2012, 08:44 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What about the filter numbers? The local parts stores don't know any except the cheap filters. Nothing about the mann or mobil #s. I see the numbers in the earlier posts but are they for the DI or are DI and DII filters the same? and how cold is too cold for diesel oil? I would like to use the Mann oil filter at least for the first cleaning round or is the Mobil 1 just as good?

Old 10-22-2012, 09:00 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

if they have a Purlator that is equal to the Mann filter

Old 10-22-2012, 09:04 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did see Purlator filters, have even seen those at Wallyworld but do they have numbers listed for those? and do the D1 and DII's use same ones? I ask as I have a DII but a lot of the posts I have seen numbers for are people with DI's.

Old 10-22-2012, 09:15 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

D1 D2 RRC all the same filter

Old 10-22-2012, 09:45 AM
Winching
Received 40 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by drowssap
D1 D2 RRC all the same filter
Get the Mobil 1-301 like Disco Mike said, its the larger filter and will fit the Disco 2. That's what I use on my 99 Disco 2, 191,000 miles and still kicking like a champ.

Old 10-22-2012, 09:59 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts

I use Amsoil everything in all my vehicles. I highly suggest it! Though I've used Mobil and a couple others with no issues.

Old 10-22-2012, 12:48 PM
Winching
Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts

I am fully bought into synthetics, meaning I believe they are significantly superior and I use them. I am not an Amsoil televangelist though. I never bought that hype. With an older engine with a lot of varnish and some sludge, short change intervals is more important than maintaining viscosity, lubricity etc. for long intervals. I want to drain the contaminants while they're in suspension and get them out of the engine before they come out of suspension and form more deposits. The contaminants do not come from the oil itself breaking down. They come primarily from blow-by and wearing surfaces. I also get a lot of condensation and other stuff from short drives.

Since the most important thing for me in my Rover engine is moving the contaminants suspended in the oil -out-, that means throwing a lot of oil away! (short change intervals) Because of that I don't bother using expensive synthetics. I do sometimes use Mobil 1 because the 5 qt jugs can be fairly inexpensive when on sale.

Old 10-22-2012, 12:57 PM
Winching
Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts

I don't think anything's wrong with Amsoil... I'm just saying I don't have my own website with 16 pages of why I think it's so great.

There's only a couple popular filter thread standards and gasket sizes. The Buick engine in the Rover uses the smaller diameter gasket. Since there's no clearance issues, you just go to the oil filter aisle and look for the biggest boxes they have. Open them up and look at the filters. Some have a large diameter gasket nearly the diameter of the filter body, some smaller where the gasket is about half the diameter of the filter. The Rover uses the smaller one. Just get the biggest canister with that size gasket.

The 301 is the nicest but most expensive, but Bosch, Fram, Purolator, K&N, Wix, NAPA they all make something in that size. I buy the cheaper ones so I can throw them away more often.

Old 10-22-2012, 01:04 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used to use mobile 1 filters, but I've broken 2 of them using that cheap end cap they glue on (spot weld using matches apparently) so I switched to Fram ultra somethin in the orange can with black rubber textured grip on the bottom, fits in a filter wrench snugly, makes changes quick n easy. The 2 mobiles that got stuck on didnt even come off with the old screwdriver stab and twist, instead the housing shredded to pieces like it was made out of an old coke can. I'm sure its filter media was top notch, i just dont like the assembled product.

Old 10-22-2012, 02:06 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

I like that big Purolator / Mann filter that adds extra capacity. See it and others in our tech section.

Quick Reply: Rotella or Royal Purple?