Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rotella or Royal Purple?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2012, 07:31 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 57 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Spike555
I use Rotella, change it every 5,000 miles and dont worry about it, its just a truck.
I disagree on both counts.

The change interval is determined by how you use your truck. Highway commuter, weekend trail rig, tow vehicle. 3000 is a safe bet until you have an oil analysis done after 3000 miles of typical usage. That will tell you if you're at the end of your oil's useful life, or if there's more left still. Then there's the matter of your filter, and if it's hit it's limit or not. If it's reached it's limit, it's going to go into bypass mode and not filter a damn thing, oil life be damned.

Personally I err on the side of more frequent 3k mile changes, because why not.

And it's just a truck until something expensive breaks, and you don't have a garage or tools to fix it yourself. Then it's an expensive broken truck that your wife/ girlfriend/ SO is telling you to get rid of, or just depleted your vacation fund by being at a mechanic, and so on. Not everyone has the disposable income to just throw at these things just because, and being lackadaisical about maintenance is just going to bite you and only you in the ***.

Old 10-23-2012, 09:04 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

So then why does almost every single car manufacture say to change the oil and filter every 7500 miles? (dino lube)
And all the ones that use full syn say to change it every 15,000 miles?
GM does not even give you a "X" miles anymore, they use a computer to tell you when to change the oil based on run time and miles driven.
Ford says every 7500 miles, unless you have a Powerstroke, then its every 15,000.
My cousins Mercedes has a computer to tell you when to change it, he went 22,000 miles before his very first oil change, took him 2 years.
The LR4 and new Range Rovers...15,000 miles.
The Prius, with its engine that constantly shuts off...10,000 miles.
Yes the SOS (service oil analyses) is the only way to know for 100% how often to change your oil, I am willing to bet you guys would be pissed off at all the money you have been wasting on 3,000 mile oil changes if you actually found out how long you could actually go between oil changes.

Old 10-23-2012, 09:30 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 57 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Spike555
So then why does almost every single car manufacture say to change the oil and filter every 7500 miles? (dino lube)
Because internal combustion engine technology has progressed just a bit in the last 40 years, which is about how modern these engines were until 2005 or so.

The engines in newer cars have far, far superior PCV systems, induction systems, fuel injection systems... it's a long list. To draw a parallel between the necessary interval between old and new engines based alone on the fact that they both use oil is just a bit myopic.

But hey, don't let me stop you from going with those extended intervals. Besides, what could possibly go wrong with continued extended intervals?

Old 10-24-2012, 06:55 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

3000 - 5000 miles changes will keep things clean, lets that Rotella do the cleaning job and get rid of the gunk. Is 3000 "better" than 5000? Sure, from a clean standpoint. Hard to say just how much longer the rest of the truck would last. Now change at 25,000, engine will last a shorter period. With the common filters and capacity of the Rover oil system. Bigger filter equals more oil capacity. Don't extend the drain interval unless you have to. Example - change oil and filter on last warm day before the annual deep freeze sets in. Maybe you can slide by until after January, I mean what shade tree mechanic wants to be laying on the ground in a snow mobile suit to change oil during an ice storm?

But you could change oil every week and you could still have overheating, head gasket problems, front propshaft issues, and you will still have bearing wear that can be measured with enough analysis and tear down.

And that does not leave a lot of time for mud. Now I ask you, would you rather change oil again or go play with friends in the mud? This is the choice that men must make.

Attached Thumbnails Rotella or Royal Purple?-2_defender_girls_stuck_in_mud_013.jpg  
Old 10-24-2012, 07:32 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Racer X
Because internal combustion engine technology has progressed just a bit in the last 40 years, which is about how modern these engines were until 2005 or so.

The engines in newer cars have far, far superior PCV systems, induction systems, fuel injection systems... it's a long list. To draw a parallel between the necessary interval between old and new engines based alone on the fact that they both use oil is just a bit myopic.

But hey, don't let me stop you from going with those extended intervals. Besides, what could possibly go wrong with continued extended intervals?

I respect your opinions Racer, and I can tell you the inside of my engine does not look like that.
No you cant eat off of the rocker shafts, but it is not sludged up.
Again my truck was a 1 owner, dealer serviced, oil changes at the dealer every 7-8k using dino lube.
I change it every 5k because it is easy to remember and the propshafts need to be lubed every 5k.
And I know myself, I would not lube the propshafts every 5k if I was not already under there, a man has gotta know his limitations.

Just because it is a old engine design does not mean it is a old engine, it is fuel injected so the oil gets less unburnt fuel and other carbons in it.
If it had a carb then yes, every 3k for oil changes, but it does not.

Old 10-24-2012, 07:57 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Savannah Buzz
3000 - 5000 miles changes will keep things clean, lets that Rotella do the cleaning job and get rid of the gunk. Is 3000 "better" than 5000? Sure, from a clean standpoint. Hard to say just how much longer the rest of the truck would last. Now change at 25,000, engine will last a shorter period. With the common filters and capacity of the Rover oil system. Bigger filter equals more oil capacity. Don't extend the drain interval unless you have to. Example - change oil and filter on last warm day before the annual deep freeze sets in. Maybe you can slide by until after January, I mean what shade tree mechanic wants to be laying on the ground in a snow mobile suit to change oil during an ice storm?

But you could change oil every week and you could still have overheating, head gasket problems, front propshaft issues, and you will still have bearing wear that can be measured with enough analysis and tear down.

And that does not leave a lot of time for mud. Now I ask you, would you rather change oil again or go play with friends in the mud? This is the choice that men must make.
Two girls, one defender? On poker island no less...(liquor in the front, poker in the rear)

Old 10-24-2012, 09:05 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

spike... callin you out on that d-callahan quote

Old 10-24-2012, 09:59 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by grandkodiak
spike... Callin you out on that d-callahan quote
lol!!