Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Running board help. Rusty bolt head snapped

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2016, 07:09 AM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Running board help. Rusty bolt head snapped

Hi guys. I hope i am posting this on the right place. Here is my issue, I was trying to install the running boards or side steps on my discoII. I was lucky with the right side but then on the left side or drivers side while removing the bottom rear nut that holds the side step for support, it snapped and broke the bolt. I have the new bolt ready for installation but i do not have enough space or clearance. I cant even remove the snapped upper part of the bolt that was left there. Can any one guide me and tell me how to get the new bolt in. Thanks guys.

Old 08-28-2016, 02:57 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 820 Likes on 597 Posts

I'm not quite clear what your problem is. Can you post a picture of what you are trying to remove and what you are trying to install? I see you are new to the forum and that may mean you are not yet able to post pics. If that's the case PM me and I can post them for you.

My '99 has had side steps on it since I got it. I just went out to take a look and remind myself how they mount. I removed them once years ago for better clearance on the trail so I learned something about them then.

The 4-inch hexagonal stud that is needed to mount the side steps is threaded female on one end and male on the other. The female end is at the top and the male end is at the bottom. The female end screws onto to the body mount bolt once you remove the existing nut.

I'm guessing you were trying to remove the nut from the body mount bolt and somehow twisted off the bolt. If that's correct you may be able to simply drive what's left of the snapped upper part of the bolt that was left in place up and out with a punch. If I'm on the right track you can reach up above the body mount and feel the hex head of the bolt. If you get it out you can then drop in a replacement from the top and complete the installation.

I may of course have this all wrong. Again, pictures would help a lot.

Old 08-28-2016, 05:04 PM
4wd Low

Yes you are corret. That is exactly what i am talking about. The problem is that the bolt snapped and when i try to remove the remaining part of the bolt there is not enough clearance to get it out because it touches the bottom of the body so i am not sure if i just have to look for a stud instead and get a nut at the top and bottom. The picture wont show the issue with the clearance but pretty much the bolt is longer than the space you have to remove it even if it is at an angle 😼😼😼

Originally Posted by mln01
I'm not quite clear what your problem is. Can you post a picture of what you are trying to remove and what you are trying to install? I see you are new to the forum and that may mean you are not yet able to post pics. If that's the case PM me and I can post them for you.

My '99 has had side steps on it since I got it. I just went out to take a look and remind myself how they mount. I removed them once years ago for better clearance on the trail so I learned something about them then.

The 4-inch hexagonal stud that is needed to mount the side steps is threaded female on one end and male on the other. The female end is at the top and the male end is at the bottom. The female end screws onto to the body mount bolt once you remove the existing nut.

I'm guessing you were trying to remove the nut from the body mount bolt and somehow twisted off the bolt. If that's correct you may be able to simply drive what's left of the snapped upper part of the bolt that was left in place up and out with a punch. If I'm on the right track you can reach up above the body mount and feel the hex head of the bolt. If you get it out you can then drop in a replacement from the top and complete the installation.

I may of course have this all wrong. Again, pictures would help a lot.

Old 08-29-2016, 09:48 AM
Camel Trophy

Is there room to get an angle grinder into position to cut off the bolt if it's pushed up? If you can do that to get the bolt out you could then use a piece of threaded rod to substitute for it with a nut and washer on the top and the hexagonal side step mount on the bottom. I guess that's what you meant by a stud.

Of course that means you'd need to find threaded rod in the right size and thread pitch to match the female end of the hexagonal stud. If that's not practical perhaps a single piece of threaded rod with some jam nuts could run from top to bottom, replacing the hexagonal stud and the broken bolt.

I bought a $14 angle grinder a year ago at Harbor Freight to "adjust" the Terrafirma front bumper I was putting on my truck. I've been surprised how many times I've used it since then. Probably not more than a half-dozen times but more than I would have expected and when I've needed it it's been just the ticket.

Old 08-29-2016, 06:47 PM
Camel Trophy

Well, I answered my own question.

I went out and looked at my truck once I got home from work tonight. There is no room for an angle grinder in that tight space. Perhaps there is some other smaller tool that would work.

It would be a long, long process to cut off the bolt with a Dremel but that may be the best option.

Last edited by mln01; 08-29-2016 at 07:55 PM.
Old 09-05-2016, 03:45 PM
Camel Trophy

Hey DISCOVERYIIG4, any update?

Old 09-05-2016, 04:42 PM
4wd Low

Is there room to get an angle grinder into position to cut off the bolt if it's pushed up? If you can do that to get the bolt out you could then use a piece of threaded rod to substitute for it with a nut and washer on the top and the hexagonal side step mount on the bottom. I guess that's what you meant by a stud.

Of course that means you'd need to find threaded rod in the right size and thread pitch to match the female end of the hexagonal stud. If that's not practical perhaps a single piece of threaded rod with some jam nuts could run from top to bottom, replacing the hexagonal stud and the broken bolt.

I bought a $14 angle grinder a year ago at Harbor Freight to "adjust" the Terrafirma front bumper I was putting on my truck. I've been surprised how many times I've used it since then. Probably not more than a half-dozen times but more than I would have expected and when I've needed it it's been just the ticket.
thank you for the tips. I guess I will look into it and see if we can get it fixed. Thanks again

Old 09-05-2016, 04:47 PM
4wd Low

Hey DISCOVERYIIG4, any update?
Not yet. Im just wondering how did they originally fit that bold in there. Do you think the lifted up the body from the frame. I havent had the chance to look into it. Hopefully next weekend.

Thanks for following up