Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Saga Continues - My Wife's Discovery, No Start, Continued Diagnosis

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2022, 04:06 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,503 Likes on 1,066 Posts

Originally Posted by zski128
You might want to double check the RAVE but CPS only stops spark and not the fuel pump. The fuel pump should work under any conditions as long as the key is in position II.

Your issue does sound like an electrical problem. Have you printed of the starter/ ignition circuit diagrams and chased the paths?
Cps turns off injectors, not spark. It does that so you don't flood or even worse hydrolock engine

Old 05-06-2022, 04:15 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 595 Likes on 338 Posts

Originally Posted by Alex_M
Hey, I appreciate that very much. If you want something for it let me know, whether it be a little cash or some kind of parts.
I just want to pick your brain on a couple things. Happy to trade for that!

Old 05-06-2022, 04:37 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 971 Likes on 646 Posts

Originally Posted by Extinct
Cps turns off injectors, not spark. It does that so you don't flood or even worse hydrolock engine
It should kill both. Not as a protection mechanism, but because there's no RPM signal to tell the motor when to trigger both.

Old 05-06-2022, 04:38 PM
Camel Trophy

Originally Posted by cvhyatt
I just want to pick your brain on a couple things. Happy to trade for that!
Well I'd be more than happy! Looking forward to meeting you, as well as whoever else is there. I'll have a couple cold ones ready for you at the very least.

Did you sign up for the intermediate or advance trail? Every free day I've had from the last couple weeks has been dedicated to getting the rig ready. Made a lot of progress, but not going to get everything done.

Last edited by Alex_M; 05-06-2022 at 04:57 PM.
Old 05-06-2022, 06:29 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 595 Likes on 338 Posts

Originally Posted by Alex_M
Well I'd be more than happy! Looking forward to meeting you, as well as whoever else is there. I'll have a couple cold ones ready for you at the very least.

Did you sign up for the intermediate or advance trail? Every free day I've had from the last couple weeks has been dedicated to getting the rig ready. Made a lot of progress, but not going to get everything done.
yeah I signed up for both. I’m still doing repairs from the Moab trip!😂

Old 05-06-2022, 06:55 PM
Camel Trophy

Was that an option?! I assumed they were at the same time.... Jealous of that Moab trip. That's the next place on our bucket list after we visited the Rockies a few months ago.

Old 05-07-2022, 08:31 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 76 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by zski128
You might want to double check the RAVE but CPS only stops spark and not the fuel pump. The fuel pump should work under any conditions as long as the key is in position II.

Your issue does sound like an electrical problem. Have you printed of the starter/ ignition circuit diagrams and chased the paths?
Totally wrong. Ecu will prime fuel system with key on. But will not run fuel pump without crank sensor input.

Old 05-07-2022, 08:35 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by Extinct
Also wrong. The crank sensor is the only input the ecu uses to determine the engine is rotating. No engine rpm = no fuel or spark. (how would it know when/how much to spark or inject if it can't determine tdc/rpm?)

Old 05-07-2022, 08:38 AM
Recovery Vehicle

If it runs on spray, it's 98% bad fuel pump. Even if you jump the relay, it doesn't mean you have pressure, or that the pump is even turning. No spark is crank sensor. If you haven't replaced it, replace it.

Last edited by RoverMasterTech; 05-07-2022 at 08:42 AM.
Old 05-07-2022, 08:46 AM
Camel Trophy

Originally Posted by RoverMasterTech
If it runs on spray, it's 98% bad fuel pump. Even if you jump the relay, it doesn't mean you have pressure, or that the pump is even turning. No spark is crank sensor. If you haven't replaced it, replace it.
Already mentioned I pulled the pump to confirm it worked and confirmed pressure by the pumps internal bypass/pressure regulator being triggered.also had not jumped the relay, but wired from the cargo area cigarette lighter directly to the pump so it comes on with the key.

Still intend to try the crank sensor though, even though I've changed it once. Only other real option is digging into the harness.

Last edited by Alex_M; 05-07-2022 at 08:51 AM.

Quick Reply: The Saga Continues - My Wife's Discovery, No Start, Continued Diagnosis