Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Saga Continues - My Wife's Discovery, No Start, Continued Diagnosis

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2022, 10:58 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 966 Likes on 643 Posts

Originally Posted by Motorhead1
Sounds like it fires with the key in the start position, but dies in the run position?? If that’s so, then look for power with the key in the run position down the line. ??? The fuel pump doesn’t run unless the engine is turning over, needs an oil pressure signal. Idk. Couple more ideas
It continues to try once I allow it back to the run position. Will continue to run on brake clean.

I know old GM's we're like that, but I don't believe disco's are. I drove my '03 about 2 miles with zero oil pressure measured on my gauge once.

Old 05-06-2022, 11:15 AM
Camel Trophy

Originally Posted by Gnomadf
Similar to the problem I'm fighting. My research has found that the relay/fuse/IDM inside can cause a no spark condtion, so I had the idea to take it out and see if there were cold, cracked or blown out solder joints. Well, forget that idea. There are 2 boards sandwiched together by 11,257 pins all around the edge like a cage, and getting them unsoldered looked like more work than I was going to bother with.

So, while I'm here-Rave shows the ECU under the right side kick panel, but it is also showing it on a RH drive vehicle. Is it still on the right side on our NA trucks or is it over on the left? I want to check for CKP signal at the ECU before bothering with any other checks.
Yes, ECU is under the right hand kick panel.

The following users liked this post:
Gnomadf (05-07-2022)
Old 05-06-2022, 11:32 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Can you put a Noid light on the injectors? If you can verify that the computer is trying to fire the injectors you can really narrow down your diagnosis. Harbor freight has a set for like $35 but I don't know if they will work for the Disco, maybe some can verify that.

Old 05-06-2022, 11:56 AM
Camel Trophy

So this morning we also had no spark. I swapped the fuse boxes out of my running Disco just to try it. Still no change. Fuel pump didn't run, still no spark again. It started raining so I did only check spark on #1.

When I changed the fuse boxes I did find one of the connections loose and a little burned. What does this wire go to? My '00 doesn't have it at all. It had gotten pretty hot, the plastic around it was melted. I cleaned the eyelet up before reconnecting it in the replacement fuse box.

I threw both fuse boxes from my wife's D2 back in my D2 and it started up just fine.

With now losing spark I'm even more confused. I feel like we're fighting on multiple fronts here. The only think I know that would cause both fuel pump not to run and no spark is the CPS. I had a spare on the way anyway to take with me to Uwharrie, so I'm thinking it'll try throwing it in just to see if it makes a difference.

Otherwise my concern is a wiring harness issue.

Burned connection:

Name:  aMTDHbx.jpeg
Views: 3
Size:  1.26 MB

Name:  KG2Ke3p.jpeg
Views: 4
Size:  1.05 MB

Name:  kYLHJe8.jpeg
Views: 4
Size:  812.4 KB

Old 05-06-2022, 11:58 AM
Camel Trophy

Originally Posted by zacharyz28
Can you put a Noid light on the injectors? If you can verify that the computer is trying to fire the injectors you can really narrow down your diagnosis. Harbor freight has a set for like $35 but I don't know if they will work for the Disco, maybe some can verify that.
Interesting! That's a tool I'd never heard of. I will have to pick a set up... Or a bag of LEDs...where'd that bag of LEDs I used to have go....

Old 05-06-2022, 12:00 PM
Camel Trophy

Originally Posted by zacharyz28
Can you put a Noid light on the injectors?
I'm getting real a-Noid with this problem ...

Ba dum tiss

Old 05-06-2022, 01:35 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 212 Likes on 139 Posts

You might want to double check the RAVE but CPS only stops spark and not the fuel pump. The fuel pump should work under any conditions as long as the key is in position II.

Your issue does sound like an electrical problem. Have you printed of the starter/ ignition circuit diagrams and chased the paths?

Old 05-06-2022, 02:10 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 592 Likes on 335 Posts

Originally Posted by Alex_M
Interesting! That's a tool I'd never heard of. I will have to pick a set up... Or a bag of LEDs...where'd that bag of LEDs I used to have go....
Got a noid kit I can bring to Uwharrie. If you want it, it’s yours.

Old 05-06-2022, 03:04 PM
Camel Trophy

Originally Posted by zski128
You might want to double check the RAVE but CPS only stops spark and not the fuel pump. The fuel pump should work under any conditions as long as the key is in position II.

Your issue does sound like an electrical problem. Have you printed of the starter/ ignition circuit diagrams and chased the paths?
I have not. No printer and I've only got my phone to work off of our here, so I've procrastinated on digging thru the PDFs.

Old 05-06-2022, 03:05 PM
Camel Trophy

Originally Posted by cvhyatt
Got a noid kit I can bring to Uwharrie. If you want it, it’s yours.
Hey, I appreciate that very much. If you want something for it let me know, whether it be a little cash or some kind of parts.

Quick Reply: The Saga Continues - My Wife's Discovery, No Start, Continued Diagnosis