Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sanity check(rebuilt title)

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2014 | 05:02 PM
Rock Crawling

The 2003 model year is not capable of locking the center differential. If, as you originally stated, you plan to take it off road... you do not want a 2003...

Also, if you are going to take it off road, the salvage title would not scare me...

Last edited by TripleThreat; 03-09-2014 at 05:07 PM.
Old 03-09-2014 | 05:28 PM
|
Mudding

Originally Posted by TripleThreat
The 2003 model year is not capable of locking the center differential. If, as you originally stated, you plan to take it off road... you do not want a 2003...

Also, if you are going to take it off road, the salvage title would not scare me...
I understand lockers,transfercase and axleshafts in relation to the 4 off roaders I have owned.

How I picture a Disco
Front axle open (ARB air locked/trutrac/LSD) Are an option for add ons
Low/high range transfer case(also called CDL around here)
Rear axle similar to the front axle.

Traction aid.. In my Grand cherokee I have quadradrive which uses a Gerator and LSD in both axles to transfer power If I lift a tire(otherwise open=spin all day 2wd) It works similar to the land rover traction control but hydraulics vs electronics/brakes

Traction aid in the DIsco uses the brakes to stop the spinning wheel allowing the power to be transfered to the planted wheel.

Confusion comes into the CDL lever/or capability. If a 2003 has a transfer case lever shifting into low range does nothing? or just gives you the increased gear ratio without giving you the 50/50 split between Front and rear? I've never owned a 4x4 that doesn't transfer 50/50 when shifted into 4wd LO.

So in some years they did away with the 50/50 split and just give you the increased gear ratio?

Old 03-09-2014 | 06:27 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by MrWesson
Confusion comes into the CDL lever/or capability. If a 2003 has a transfer case lever shifting into low range does nothing? or just gives you the increased gear ratio without giving you the 50/50 split between Front and rear? I've never owned a 4x4 that doesn't transfer 50/50 when shifted into 4wd LO.

So in some years they did away with the 50/50 split and just give you the increased gear ratio?
Correct...

The Center Differential is only a locking differential (or CDL) if and only if it contains the parts and has the appropriate shift linkage setup.

2003 only gives you Hi/Lo range...

All models give you that...

Some 2000, 2001 and 2002s have the internal components to give you Hi/Lo and Lock with Hi/Lo, but lack the shifter. They have a Hi/Lo shifter, but not a Hi/Lo and Locked Hi/Lo shifter. There is an additional cable and the shifter also moves right to left in addition to forward and backwards. I'm not sure exactly where the VIN split is where they quit putting in the internal parts.

With the model year 2003, none had the internal parts... In 2004, they started putting the internal parts back in and including the appropriate shift linkage.

I have no explanation for why Rover did what they did, other than that they though that ABS and Traction Control were superior and eliminated the need for the locking center differential.

Experience apparently taught them differently since they brought it back in 2004. The Rover TC and ABS system are fickle and are not what off roaders will rely on. They all add CDL capabilities and many add locking front and rear diffs as well.

The reason why we refer to it as a center differential is because it is open, unlike transfer cases on traditional 4x4s where locking it into 4 Hi or 4 Lo forces 50% to the front Driveshaft and 50% to the rear driveshaft and when unlocked (in 2 Hi) nothing goes to the front driveshaft at all.

I'm not familiar with the Grand Cherokee system, so I really can't talk intelligently about it or really compare it to the Rover system.

Just for the record... I'm really trying to help you, not confuse you. I'm also not trying to discourage you from buying the rebuilt title 2001... I just want you to make the purchase, or not, with the appropriate knowledge and understanding of Rovers...

Last edited by TripleThreat; 03-09-2014 at 06:30 PM.
Old 03-09-2014 | 07:36 PM
|
Mudding

Originally Posted by TripleThreat
Correct...

The Center Differential is only a locking differential (or CDL) if and only if it contains the parts and has the appropriate shift linkage setup.

2003 only gives you Hi/Lo range...

All models give you that...

Some 2000, 2001 and 2002s have the internal components to give you Hi/Lo and Lock with Hi/Lo, but lack the shifter. They have a Hi/Lo shifter, but not a Hi/Lo and Locked Hi/Lo shifter. There is an additional cable and the shifter also moves right to left in addition to forward and backwards. I'm not sure exactly where the VIN split is where they quit putting in the internal parts.

With the model year 2003, none had the internal parts... In 2004, they started putting the internal parts back in and including the appropriate shift linkage.

I have no explanation for why Rover did what they did, other than that they though that ABS and Traction Control were superior and eliminated the need for the locking center differential.

Experience apparently taught them differently since they brought it back in 2004. The Rover TC and ABS system are fickle and are not what off roaders will rely on. They all add CDL capabilities and many add locking front and rear diffs as well.

The reason why we refer to it as a center differential is because it is open, unlike transfer cases on traditional 4x4s where locking it into 4 Hi or 4 Lo forces 50% to the front Driveshaft and 50% to the rear driveshaft and when unlocked (in 2 Hi) nothing goes to the front driveshaft at all.

I'm not familiar with the Grand Cherokee system, so I really can't talk intelligently about it or really compare it to the Rover system.

Just for the record... I'm really trying to help you, not confuse you. I'm also not trying to discourage you from buying the rebuilt title 2001... I just want you to make the purchase, or not, with the appropriate knowledge and understanding of Rovers...
Don't apologize for confusing me.. My own nature took over.

I assume since no power is shifted to the front in 4hi that it would only do so upon slippage making the vehicle AWD(in a sense)?

Old 03-09-2014 | 07:52 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by MrWesson
I assume since no power is shifted to the front in 4hi that it would only do so upon slippage making the vehicle AWD(in a sense)?
Kinda... sorta...

Since Rovers are AWD, assuming all wheels have traction, power is being distributed (theoretically) 25% to each wheel... Where the open diffs (all three) come into play is if any wheel slips. If any wheel slips, the open diffs direct power to the slipping wheel. It will simply spin while no others will.

If ABS and Traction Control are working correctly, braking forces will be applied to the spinning wheel in order to fool the differentials into thinking that wheel actually has traction and then power transfers to wheels with traction until another one spins... Then, Traction Control and ABS are supposed to supply braking forces to it and the whole process repeats.

In reality, this system is not as effective as we would all hope. That is why people end up installing the CDL Shifter on Center Differentials that have the internal components to allow them to be mechanically locked. Especially if they intend to take them off road.

I just installed a 2004 CDL Shift linkage in my 2000 Disco II and it makes a huge difference... The Traction Control and ABS have never proven very effective for me.

Ultimately, I will install a Detroit Locker in the rear axle and a Detroit TruTrac Locker in the front axle. I will then be able to mechanically initiate true 4WD.

Old 03-10-2014 | 08:30 AM
|
Mudding

I also checked and the 01 falls within the range that does have CDL internals.. but by a 1000 or so based on vin numbers.

I'd obviously take a look before purchase. Still on the fence and still looking.

Old 03-10-2014 | 10:18 AM
Rock Crawling

I hope to clear up a bit more for MrWesson:

On your Cherokee: (Grand or otherwise)
Front to back: 2WD(awd) -> 4HI -> 4Low
On the Rover:
Back to Front: AWD Hi -> AWD Low
Left to Right: Locked <- Unlocked

The catch that nobody has mentioned - A 2nd actuation to lock the center diff. This is done by moving the range selection to the LEFT (or Right to unlock) This is an entirely separate movement of that same lever, actuating the center diff lock.

On a Jeep, when you pull back into 4HI - It automatically locks the center diff. On a Rover, it's a separate linkage entirely, but shares the same lever. I too have had many Jeeps in my lifetime... Don't expect anywhere near the same reliability.

Love my Rover, but I now really laugh out loud when Someone says:

Just Empty Every Pocket - They clearly haven't owned a Rover.

Dave

Old 03-10-2014 | 10:19 AM
Mudding

Unrelated to the true issue, but are those range rover wheels in the '01?

Old 03-10-2014 | 12:08 PM
Recovery Vehicle

I don't think the accident registered in my head that it was in 03', sorry about that. I would go with the less mileage motor. Just make sure the repairs are done correctly and not a hack job, I wouldn't worry about the salvage title in my opinion, you don't really get a good resale value on a rover anyway. If you want to see the actual CDL "Nipple" look up Luck8llc on Youtube and they show how to lock the transfer case.

Old 03-10-2014 | 12:51 PM
|
Mudding

Originally Posted by Ghaniba
I hope to clear up a bit more for MrWesson:

On your Cherokee: (Grand or otherwise)
Front to back: 2WD(awd) -> 4HI -> 4Low
On the Rover:
Back to Front: AWD Hi -> AWD Low
Left to Right: Locked <- Unlocked

The catch that nobody has mentioned - A 2nd actuation to lock the center diff. This is done by moving the range selection to the LEFT (or Right to unlock) This is an entirely separate movement of that same lever, actuating the center diff lock.

On a Jeep, when you pull back into 4HI - It automatically locks the center diff. On a Rover, it's a separate linkage entirely, but shares the same lever. I too have had many Jeeps in my lifetime... Don't expect anywhere near the same reliability.

Love my Rover, but I now really laugh out loud when Someone says:

Just Empty Every Pocket - They clearly haven't owned a Rover.

Dave
Thanks for the clarification.. one correction

Jeep = Front to back: the system uses clutches in the transfer case to transfer power front to rear based on slippage in 4HI making it awd(98% rear until activated by slip)... -> 4Low=CDL and LO range In my jeep shifting into 4LOW locks the diff into 50/50 spilt and engages the lower gear ratio of 4LO(2.72to1 vs 1to1). In addition to this I have Limited slip diffs in the front and rear axles.

The system works incredibly well and closer to a rover system than a standard jeep. Like I said just tired of jeeps, want to try something different and always wanted a Disco.

In the rover 4lo just gives you the gear ratio reduction.. CDL accomplishes locking the diff separately. All jeeps work the same in 4lo buy my AWD system is no common vs 2wd/part time 4wd/4hi/4LO on other models.

Originally Posted by taylor15
Unrelated to the true issue, but are those range rover wheels in the '01?
They are & I believe 19".. Very nice but limited options for an allterrain or mud terrain tire so they will probably be removed or just used as a winter tire setup.

Quick Reply: Sanity check(rebuilt title)