Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sanity check(rebuilt title)

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2014 | 06:00 PM
|
Mudding

Originally Posted by earlyrover
You: "Asked for the Vin and it comes back rebuilt because of a front end collision in 2003(must of been a good one"
I would, for sure, examine the frame carefully, or have it examined, for cutting/re-welding for being bent, twisted. It had to have had some substantial damage to the frame in a major front end collision. Beware.
Great advice which I assume carries over to the 2004 I am weighing it against with a side impact with the same rebuilt title.

Originally Posted by MarkSF
Have you looked on Ebay? Got my 04 on there with 73K, cost me $5K.

Personally I'd stay away from anything with accident damage history, as even if you don't care about it, if you ever need to sell the car, the value would be substantially reduced.

I thought mine had no service history, until I looked on Carfax. It's all there. Interestingly, I used to think Autocheck had the same info, but the service history did not show up on there.
How much did it cost for you to have it shipped...?

Another option would be a plane ticket and then a drive back based on distance but might even be more expensive plus taking a used car on a long trip after purchase doesn't seem like the best idea.

Seems like an even bigger gamble as I wouldn't be able to view the car before purchase.

Unfortunately I am using autocheck.

Old 03-13-2014 | 06:14 PM
Mudding

I won't be using Autocheck any more. The extra service history on Carfax recently showed a 2004 Discovery (different one... not the one I bought) to be clocked - the service history went up to 93K while the odometer was showing 74K! There was nothing adverse on the Autocheck.

Yes you are right about Ebay being a bigger gamble.

The shipping was $400. I am told that 50 cents per mile is roughly the going rate. Depends how quickly you want it... the way shipping works, you put it on Central Dispatch and how much you're willing to pay... the more you put, the sooner you'll find a driver. I waited a week, got impatient and raised it to 70 cents per mile... and it got picked up within 24 hours.

When I calculated my costs to fly there, and drive back, I would not have saved much vs. shipping - and that's if nothing major goes wrong.....might have been a fun road trip though. Next time I think I would risk it.

Old 03-13-2014 | 09:42 PM
|
Mudding

Originally Posted by MarkSF
I won't be using Autocheck any more. The extra service history on Carfax recently showed a 2004 Discovery (different one... not the one I bought) to be clocked - the service history went up to 93K while the odometer was showing 74K! There was nothing adverse on the Autocheck.

Yes you are right about Ebay being a bigger gamble.

The shipping was $400. I am told that 50 cents per mile is roughly the going rate. Depends how quickly you want it... the way shipping works, you put it on Central Dispatch and how much you're willing to pay... the more you put, the sooner you'll find a driver. I waited a week, got impatient and raised it to 70 cents per mile... and it got picked up within 24 hours.

When I calculated my costs to fly there, and drive back, I would not have saved much vs. shipping - and that's if nothing major goes wrong.....might have been a fun road trip though. Next time I think I would risk it.
I suppose if I decided to look closely and for along time I could find a deal on ebay but as of now most 04's are going from 7-13k.

I know of a free way to use autocheck(not running them VIA an account) I'm more than willing to share the method with anyone VIA PM. You are right it leaves a little to be desired but Carfax charges 39.99 per vin,49.99 per 5 and 54.99 for unlimited(30 days).

It used to be much cheaper.

I am going to reiterate my offer for 3500 for the 04 rebuilt title with 82k tomorrow and hopefully he takes it. I offered it in person but he didn't immediately take it but didn't scoff either.

I will have it inspected before purchase.

Old 03-14-2014 | 07:39 AM
Baja

it doesnt say what state your located in, some states have salvage titles and some have rebuildable and it varies from state to state. Rebuildable usually if inspected by the state it can be issued a rebuilt title other only have salvage title. I believe you would be hard pressed to find any company that was insure a vehicle with a salvage title. You you dont plan on ever selling the truck it really doesnt matter.

Old 03-14-2014 | 08:23 AM
|
Mudding

Salvage is what the car is when its crashed and totaled out by the insurance company.

Rebuilt is after they put humpty back together and get it inspected by the state.

The cars Im looking at are rebuilt titles and insurable through most companies(I use progressive).

Old 03-14-2014 | 01:37 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by MrWesson
Salvage is what the car is when its crashed and totaled out by the insurance company.

Rebuilt is after they put humpty back together and get it inspected by the state.

The cars Im looking at are rebuilt titles and insurable through most companies(I use progressive).

That must vary from state to state. I have an 87 XJ-S that suffered a minor engine fire but because the Jag dealer priced the repairs so high the insurance company totaled it. I bought it back from the insurance company and had a certain amount of time to show proof of repairs to the state, then it would qualify for inspection to be re titled with a salvaged title.

Just an fyi, I payed about 9 grand for my 04 with 80k on the clock. It was in very good condition. Just wanted to give you some ideas on price. Im in KY if it helps.

Here is a sight if your interested where I bought mine.
Used Cars La Grange KY Used Cars Dealer La Grange - Platinum Motor Sports

Old 03-14-2014 | 10:25 PM
|
Mudding

And I present to the LR community the ugliest discovery I've seen.

2000 Land Rover Discovery 2

God have mercy on the owners soul

Old 03-14-2014 | 11:09 PM
Mudding

Wow, just wow! Maybe he was inspired by the Triumph TR7 Spider special edition....

The TR7 Spider Page | Along comes a spider…

Old 03-14-2014 | 11:44 PM
Winching

My eyes bled when I viewed that ad for the disovery. The triumph was nice. Always thought that was a cool looking car.

Old 03-14-2014 | 11:46 PM
Mudding

I've got for sale if you like it that much... well the V8 version. TR8.

Quick Reply: Sanity check(rebuilt title)