Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Savannah Buzz et al

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2011, 08:50 AM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Savannah Buzz et al

Any of you who have been reading my posts know I have been having electrical problems, as one system after another after another has failed.
Well with the help of this forum and Savannah Buzz in particular I have found and repaired the cause of my problems and I am happy to report I am no longer considering driving agnes into the the Gulf of Mexico.

So here were the issues.

Driver Door would lock but not unlock.. (New Actuator)
Then my key fobs stopped working
Courtesy lights wouldn't come on when I opened doors
Horn would decide to come on in the middle of the night and stay on until fuse was pulled
no cruise control
Non working OBDII port

What I did:

First I went through all the Earths. and they were spotless 0 corrosion
then I pulled the IDM and cleaned it...again it was fine
then after pulling the glove box off for the thousandth time I decided to cut off the plastic covering over the wiring that contained the headers.... and here is where I found the problem.....they were all completely eaten up with corrosion and the metal in the plugs was gone.. So I spent the next 4 hours with my laptop on the passenger seat RAVE open going through each header one at a time and soldering the wires together. This morning I reconnected the battery after i finished the last header and POOF!! the she caught on fire and burned to the ground.....

Not really

All is well everything now works as it should....thanks guys!!!

now about my exhaust leak......

Old 11-22-2011, 10:15 AM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

If you can work quickly when truck is cold, just after cranking exhaust leaks are much hoter than the surrounding metal. Can find by touch or with infrared thermometer. Mine went to like 400 degrees when pointed at the leak. Usually will be a darkening of the metal surrounding the leak from partially burned fuel (just like inside of tail pipe is not lily-white).

Another fun method is the SeaFoam induction cleaning, which makes a cloud of smoke out the exhaust for a few minutes. And out the exhaust leaks. So you get two services for one money, now that's what our economy needs!

Do you suppose that an AC drain or a sunroof drain was dumping on your earthing (ground) headers?

Old 11-22-2011, 11:27 AM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im not sure about the sunroof drain, its on my list for today.

Seafoam is as well..

Thanks

Old 11-22-2011, 11:44 AM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

Don't Seafoam inside, or where it can be sucked into home or building AC vents. Follow directions on can carefully.