Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

seafoam instructions on DII

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2009, 09:37 PM
Winching
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Roger that- a minute+ to suck the can.

You got it, thanks!

I'll tell you how it goes!

(Should the engine already be warmed to operating temp when this happens, or doesn't it matter?)

Pat

Old 04-18-2009, 10:12 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by humroot
You did it right. Mine smokes from the exhaust manifolds too.
You couldn't have done it more wrong if you had tried.
If you want to do a successful cleaning the Seafoam must go thru they system as slow as possible. The fact that you made smoke, doesn't mean anything, I can poor a little engine oil in and of the hose, it will smoke like hell but not be benefical for the engine.

Old 04-18-2009, 10:32 AM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just did the Seafoam induction cleaning & the throttle body cleaning. Did it using the lower connector nipple, 2 ft. of 3/16 tubing, and took a good 3 mins. to suck all the Seafoam in. Waited about 30+ mins for it to soak in really well, did the throttle body cleaning, then fired her up. It belched smoke for a good 10 mins., then took it out for a 20 min ride.

There is a huge difference...accelerates much smoother, much more responsive throttle. Thanks to everyone on here for the wealth of information you provide. A lot easier to do than I thought...the hardest part was getting the little tubing over the nipple.

Now, waiting for the engine to cool down and do an ATF engine flush. I think I have a sticky lifter, shows up at standing idle (sub 1K RPMs). After flush, filling w/ Mobil1 synthetic and see if that helps.

Old 04-18-2009, 10:44 AM
Administrator

Now, that is the proper way to do it.
Follow this up with a can in the fuel tank when you take your next hour or two drive.

Old 04-18-2009, 10:50 AM
Overlanding

After I do the ATF engine flush, idle it for 30 mins., drain & refill w/ Mobil1...I should be just under 1/4 tank of gas left. When I refill, I'm planning on using the Seafoam then. Going to cruise around Bethesda & DC for a few hours, and try to enjoy the beautiful weather.

Old 04-18-2009, 04:04 PM
Winching
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I did the induction cleaning in both our Discos as well- BIG difference in my 2004- but I think the 2000 was probably done right before I got it.

I took 4-5 minutes to let all the Seafoam filter through as well- worked great. Thanks again, Mike and everyone else!

Bark- Do you have a resource you're using to do the flush? I'd like to flush mine as well here in the next few weeks.

Thanks!

Pat

Old 04-19-2009, 01:01 AM
Overlanding

Did the engine flush...it was a piece of cake. Opened the drain plug, drained all the old oil, flipped the drain plug washer and put it back on. Filled with 6 qts. of ATF (I used Valvoline MaxLife Synthetic) and let idle for 30 mins. After, drained oil/ATF, removed oil filter, fit the new Mobil1 filter (1/2 filled with oil), and a new gasket forthe drain plug. Fill with 6 qts. of oil (I used Mobil1 10W-30). That's it.

I have to say, the bright red Valvoline MaxLife came out a really muddy blackish-brown color after only 30 minutes. A couple regular flushes along with synthetic oil will really break up all the built-up gunk.

Old 04-20-2009, 10:29 AM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok these are instructions for a DII. What about the DI? I have a hard time figuring out which vacuum line to use. Anyone has a pic?

Old 04-20-2009, 10:42 AM
Administrator

Unhook the hose that goes from the passenger side valve cover to the manifold. Stick an 18" piece of hose on the manifold and then follow the D2 directions.

Old 05-22-2009, 09:18 PM
1st Gear

I just did it to my Discovery 2 00, and it worked great just like DiscoMike said. The smoke was so bad the birds in the trees freaked out thinking their tree was on fire. My wife didn't react much better. LOL!

Quick Reply: seafoam instructions on DII