Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

seafoam instructions on DII

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2019, 03:40 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2,238 Likes on 1,661 Posts

The seafoam? I’d say it removed “some” carbon build up, and the rest of the bottle went into the fuel tank. The 02 has probably been sitting for 1-2 years so god only knows what crap was in the fuel or intake.

I just noticed it idles much smoother afterwards and it was fun watching the smoke lol.

Before when you bounced off the rev limiter it let out some black smoke = carbon deposits from probably driving like a grandma. Afterwards bounce it off the rev limiter & nada.

Old 02-27-2019, 04:11 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 137 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Best4x4
The seafoam? I’d say it removed “some” carbon build up, and the rest of the bottle went into the fuel tank. The 02 has probably been sitting for 1-2 years so god only knows what crap was in the fuel or intake.

I just noticed it idles much smoother afterwards and it was fun watching the smoke lol.

Before when you bounced off the rev limiter it let out some black smoke = carbon deposits from probably driving like a grandma. Afterwards bounce it off the rev limiter & nada.
carbon from where? Valves? I dont think it would have done anything to the fuel system as it would have just gone in the intake and chambers...

the stuff you add to the fuel tank may have had some effect.

Old 02-27-2019, 04:21 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2,238 Likes on 1,661 Posts

Well I've torn apart a few LR V8's that sat for about a year or so and the carbon inside the combustion chamber = flat out gross. If the inside of this engine looked anything like those it could have certainly sent some of that stuff flying out the exhaust. I fed the seafoam in thru the brake booster so it went straight thru the top end into the combustion & out thru the exhaust. Once you get 1/2 a can thru you shut it off and let it sit for 10-15min.

You can tell when you first start it up it's got Seafoam in it, and then just about when the idle smooths out the thick white smoke will start and on vehicles that don't run rich I've seen it maybe last 5min, but on this D2 it was 30min easy and the more throttle you gave it the thicker the white smoke got. After it stopped smoking I took it for a drive and it ran great.

Some people call it snake oil, but I've had good results with it on LR's. I don't normally add it thru the intake, and on my personal vehicles I just add it to the fuel whenever I do an oil change.

Old 02-27-2019, 06:12 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 137 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Best4x4
Well I've torn apart a few LR V8's that sat for about a year or so and the carbon inside the combustion chamber = flat out gross. If the inside of this engine looked anything like those it could have certainly sent some of that stuff flying out the exhaust. I fed the seafoam in thru the brake booster so it went straight thru the top end into the combustion & out thru the exhaust. Once you get 1/2 a can thru you shut it off and let it sit for 10-15min.

You can tell when you first start it up it's got Seafoam in it, and then just about when the idle smooths out the thick white smoke will start and on vehicles that don't run rich I've seen it maybe last 5min, but on this D2 it was 30min easy and the more throttle you gave it the thicker the white smoke got. After it stopped smoking I took it for a drive and it ran great.

Some people call it snake oil, but I've had good results with it on LR's. I don't normally add it thru the intake, and on my personal vehicles I just add it to the fuel whenever I do an oil change.
Makes sense....I'm just trying to figure out what I could do to clean "more"...throttle body, intake, valves etc.

Old 05-23-2023, 01:00 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
3/16th and don't let it rip, use some pliars, squeeze the line so just the smallest amount of fluid goes thru over a period of a minute plus for a whole can of Seafoam. Then shut down the engine for at least 1/2 hour, clean the t/body and idle control while you are waiting.
Then go make lots of smoke.
Mike could u please point out where the icv and throttle body are for cleaning? Also, do u crank the engine before removing the vacuum hose pointed out, or remove/crank/insert seafoam?

Old 05-23-2023, 01:08 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 846 Likes on 633 Posts

Dude… get hold of a Disco 2 RAVE manual and learn the Thor V8 engine dynamics.
Disco Mike had been on hiatus for years and years and years and…

The following users liked this post:
dgtrawick5 (05-28-2023)