Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

seat switch bad???

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2007, 12:18 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default seat switch bad???

Just want to get a correct diagnosis before buying a part. In my 99 Disco 1 front passenger seat, the switch works to move the seat up and down but it won't move the seat forward. Does this mean I have a bad switch? Is it easy to replace? Anyone have one for sale if this is the case? Thanks.

Old 09-03-2007, 08:26 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts
Default RE: seat switch bad???

The contacts can get dirty and cause what you are experiencing, might want to remove the swiych and carefully open it up and clean the contacts. You can also buy guaranteed used switches at, http://www.roverlandparts.com/index....S&Category=141 for alot less then dealer prices.

Old 09-05-2007, 10:22 PM
Drifting

In my case (a '97 Disco) the passenger seat suddenly stopped moving back. It still moves forward and tilts in both directions. I pulled the corresponding switch off and the contacts look OK (and one switch handles both forward and back, so that doesn't seem like it).

Do you think this is a switch problem or something else. I just had a stereo installed last week, and it was working before then. Wondering if they somehow pulled/cut power or signal to the reverse, although I'm assuming one motor handles forward and back. I don't hear any motor sounds when I push the switch to move the seat back.

Thanks for any input Mike!

Old 09-06-2007, 08:56 AM
Three Wheeling

Had same problem with passenger seat on my 98 disco.
Removed switch and cleaned contacts. Also checked all connections under seat.
Put everything back and problem went away.
Do not know if it was the cleaning or just reconnecting the connectors.
Just a thought.

Old 09-06-2007, 08:57 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Normally the switch is bad, sometimes the motor goes bad for the function you are looking at, may want to check out the motor if you feel the switch is OK. You might also pull the other seat switch firts and just do a plug and play to see if it will make the seat move.

Old 09-07-2007, 05:43 PM
Drifting

When you say the "seat switch" are you referring to the external facing panel with the two buttons that combined look like a seat? Or are you referring to the two switch modules on the internal facing side of that panel, one corresponding to the seat bottom and another to the seat back?

How can you easily swap those internal switch modules without disassembling the center console? I haven't had to get in there yet, but it seems like the switch modules' cabling connects somewhere in there that I can't reach from the seat panel opening.

Also checked for fuses and they all seem to be located under the driver side seat. Pulled those four fuses and they seemed OK. Wasn't sure how to judge if the other four "modules" located near those fuses were OK.

I didn't see anything other than the CD changer under the passenger side seat.

Thanks for the suggestions -- keep 'em coming!

Old 09-10-2007, 10:02 PM
Drifting

Per Mike, I swapped in the driver side switch and -presto- the passenger seat moved back and forth. So either a bad switch or one that needs a good cleaning. I tried disassembling the malfunctioning switch, but the button/**** corresponding to the seat bottom wouldn't pop off easily and I didn't want to break it so I backed off and will try again when I'm feeling patient.

Old 09-11-2007, 09:22 AM
Three Wheeling

Thanks for all of the suggestions. I was getting ready to dig in and try cleaning the contacts when my seat started working again. Just weird???

Old 09-11-2007, 07:49 PM
Drifting

Might still be worth cleaning it up. Would hate for it to break down when a short or tall friend needs to sit in the front. In my case it was kind of embarrassing when my 6' 3" co-worker needed a lift and the seat wouldn't back up. Didn't reflect to well on my ride

Just be careful disassembling the switch -- seems like it has its fair share of parts, springs, etc and is plastic so you don't want to snap/break something.

I plan to disassemble and clean mine in the next week or so. I'll take pics and write if up for what's its worth.