Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Secondary air injection swap Q’s

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2019, 08:39 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by ahab
Hopefully I'm in good shape. I swapped ECM, BCU, SLABS ECU, Cluster, Ignition, Clockspring, Cruise ECU, EAT-ECU, Airbag DCU, Radio, Engine, Trans & T/C, Driver's door and Tailgate. I should probably just buy a Nanocom before I even try and start it.
If you swapped the ecu/BCu from the same vehicle, it will/should start up. Other modules are just options, nothing really “coded”

Old 09-20-2019, 08:42 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When youre doing all this did you need to swap the harness behind the dash as well or just the engine harness? If you already answered this im sorry, I don't know the names of everything.

I'm doing a similar swap and there's a plug that's totally different.

Engine from 00 I'm using

Vs new 03 car I'm putting my engine into

I'm pretty stuck right now.

Old 09-20-2019, 09:15 AM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by Jacobp
When youre doing all this did you need to swap the harness behind the dash as well or just the engine harness? If you already answered this im sorry, I don't know the names of everything.

Engine from 00 I'm using

The actual “engine harness is the same, just with the addition of the SAI components(ie: crossover valve[grey 2 pin plug], vacuum pump[black 2 pin plug]). The engine will start and run perfectly with these 2 attatched/disconnected. However, there is a body harness/wires that need to be swapped to get the vacuum emissions system(non-SAI) to function properly instead of the positive pressure system(SAI). Passenger side of engine bay is an orange and a grey multi pin connector, the orange multi pin connector is what I believe untilizes the non-SAI vacuum operated system and the grey multi pin connector is for the SAI vehicle. The rover will still run perfectly with the components mismatched but will trigger an immediate check engine lamp due to emissions components mixed.

Old 09-20-2019, 09:19 AM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by Jacobp

Engine from 00 I'm using

The plug in your hands looks to be the vacuum operated pump connector.

The grey plug looks to connect to the other grey plug inches away.

I captioned below your pictures with the details.

Old 09-21-2019, 03:10 PM
Three Wheeling

Yea that's where that Grey multi pin went.. The engine harness wasn't there for the old car so I got confused haha

Alright so yea there aren't any plugs for that non Sai piece so I'll have to remove the harness.. Im gonna try and trace those two wires to where they go before I do that.. Cause this harness looks like alot of work to remove

Old 09-21-2019, 03:30 PM
Three Wheeling

Hopefully it's as easy as plugging it into the same place?

Old 04-06-2020, 09:30 PM
Rock Crawling

Hey Land Rover folks, I believe I have successfully adapted the SAI to non-SAI emission system. After the Bosch/GEMS conversion I had finished a week ago, I dedicated some time to trying to get it right. As of now, I don’t have a SES lamp on nor pending codes, I have cycled the ignition multiple times as well during the warm up cycle, as well as a 10 mile drive home. The SES lamp would luminate after the 2nd key cycle as the first key cycle would “pend” the code. The code after swapping ECU/BCU was a p0453 fuel tank pressure sensor. Many items were needed to perform the swap. Including ECM/BCM, fuel pump with pressure sensor and connector/harness, canister vent solenoid with connector/harness and tube, charcoal canister itself( or tube rigging ), mini female electrical spades, wiring and crimps, RAVE manual. On my second try, I went straight to the ECM with succession.

Old 04-06-2020, 09:53 PM
Rock Crawling

Removing the passenger kick panel or lower a-pillar panel allows accesss to the ECM. I ran a colour coated 4 flat wire lead harness from the ECM to where the SAI vacuum pump used to be and connected the 3 wires from the fuel tank pressure sensor and 1 wire (of the 2) from the canister vent I believe brown/pink tracer and ran them to the ECM. The red circled areas were cut and not spliced into anything, the yellow circles are the wires cut and spliced into the fuel tank pressure sensor and the canister vent valve.

Old 04-06-2020, 09:55 PM
Rock Crawling