Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Serial Comm link error on a 2002 SE7

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2013, 04:08 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Serial Comm link error on a 2002 SE7

I have been working on this for about a month now and I am running in circles. First pulled codes and it had a camshaft position sensor, replaced that and now I have a crankshaft position sensor fault, I replaced that sensor as well with new Bosch sensor and it still pulls a code and now I have a P0600 code. So I am now going over all the wiring and thinking about pulling the intake to get a good look at the wires running to the coil packs and down to the crankshaft sensor. I am thinking I have other issues then the sensors. Anyone eles had this issue?

Other items with this truck
Mud and Snow lights blink, servioce engine light blinks, transfer case light blinks

Any and all info would be appreciated!

Old 08-02-2013, 10:52 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Does truck crank and run with new CKP sensor? Sometimes people get the spacers wrong.

The comm buss failure is triggered when ECU does not see any data from other modules on the buss for more than 8/10 of a second. These things text each other more often than high school cheer leaders. Wiring issue, ground, skinned wire, insulation rubbed, cable crushed, connector messed up. M&S lights with no other code related to them is tranny ECU seeing power below 9 volts. Again, can be wiring issues, bad battey grounds, weak battery, alternator. MIL light flash might be related to other codes.

Old 08-03-2013, 08:43 AM
Overlanding

It cranks and barley runs, will not rev, and does not even idle, basically it just chugs like its ready to die. I did the sensor first, spacers next. Pulled the intake last night and all the wires look fine. I am now going to start checking voltages at the connectors and see if I can find any drops or problems

Old 08-03-2013, 08:50 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Look at earth ground points for battery (follow negative lead). Check wiring to tranny computer under seat.

Old 08-03-2013, 11:09 AM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

any water leaks? I'd check the computers under the glove box.

Old 08-04-2013, 08:09 AM
Overlanding

It appears to be very dry behind the glove box section. I have not looked under the drivers seat at the tranny ECU yet. Will do that here in a few. Thanks for the ideas

Old 08-04-2013, 10:25 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

What is the code you're getting for the CKP, and what was the initial code when you replaced the cam sensor?

With it barely running, and throwing codes like that, I wouldn't concern yourself with the comms issue until it can idle correctly.

Also, did you notice if the original cam sensor wiring had been pinched where the bracket holds it down?

Old 08-06-2013, 03:41 PM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by roverguy7
What is the code you're getting for the CKP, and what was the initial code when you replaced the cam sensor?

With it barely running, and throwing codes like that, I wouldn't concern yourself with the comms issue until it can idle correctly.

Also, did you notice if the original cam sensor wiring had been pinched where the bracket holds it down?

the org cam sensor looked fine as did the wires.

Codes I had are the following
P1536
P0335
P0560

At first I did not have a crankshaft sensor code and now I do. I will scan it again and get the number.

Something I did find is the plug in the tranny ECU was not in all the way. It now is and the clip that holds the plug in place in now like it should be as well. That being said is there a chance that one ECU not being connected would casue weird stuff in the Engine ECU?

Old 08-12-2013, 06:19 PM
Overlanding

No codes now other then P1884, New plugs and wires, new cam sensor, new crankshaft pos sensor. Tranny ECU was not connected like it should be it is now. Would not hit on starting fluid so now I think I am not getting spark.

A few questions....

Should the ISV make noise with the key on?

Would the col packs being bad throw a code? Would the coil pack being bad throw a code for other issues such as the cam sensor and crank sensor?

Is there a test to make sure the coil packs are getting a signal from the ECU?