Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Service Engine Light..9 codes.

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2016, 07:20 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 245 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by Jmcbghs2012
Update: Sorry it took me so long to reply..The land rover had a compression test today and the results came back okay... told me that it needs both coils and upper intake gasket. I attached a picture of the old spark plugs..not sure how many miles are on them but know at least 30k
Ah, the intake gasket (plenum, I assume, but it could be the huge lower intake Valley gasket) is a vacuum leak. Combined with coil problems and it is hard to figure out which is the problem, for me.

You can do the upper intake quick. You just need a little flat head screwdriver, 10mm and 8mm sockets with all kinds of extensions, and some pliers to crimp the hose clamps back together if yours are original. Also a magnet to fish out the front and back bolts and possibly the four small bolts on the coils. I also spray my plenum gasket with copper coat gasket compound but that's optional.

Do the coils at the same time because it is almost impossible with the upper intake in place.

OR pay him to do it.

Those plugs look pretty old.

The following users liked this post:
Jmcbghs2012 (03-09-2016)
Old 03-09-2016, 07:35 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah I have no idea how old the plugs are. The guy that owned the Land Rover before me said he never changed them. Im calling around in the morning to check on prices for the coils and gasket. Hopefully get it repaired tomorrow or Friday. They are going to do all the work at once. Luckily the shop its at does not charge us labor. All we have to do if provide the parts. Heres the things im having done to it...

New Thermostat
Radiator Flush and new coolant
Spark plugs and wires
Grease the drive shaft and ujoints
oil change
balance tires

and now..new coils and upper intake gasket

Old 03-09-2016, 09:33 PM
Camel Trophy

Yeah I have no idea how old the plugs are. The guy that owned the Land Rover before me said he never changed them. Im calling around in the morning to check on prices for the coils and gasket. Hopefully get it repaired tomorrow or Friday. They are going to do all the work at once. Luckily the shop its at does not charge us labor. All we have to do if provide the parts. Heres the things im having done to it...

New Thermostat
Radiator Flush and new coolant
Spark plugs and wires
Grease the drive shaft and ujoints
oil change
balance tires

and now..new coils and upper intake gasket
You'll probably have to order the gasket. If it is the one I'm thinking of it is called an upper intake plenum gasket. It is metal. The lower one, the valley gasket (which goes under the lower intake) is a much bigger deal to replace.

I used to use Bosch +4 platinum plugs but I think the champion 322s are just as good and about half the price. They look like the ones you have.

If I can suggest on coolant since you are having it completely flushed, if yours hasn't been converted from red dexcool you should use yellow Prestone. It is more forgiving of older engines and the problems they have.

Best of luck!

Last edited by Charlie_V; 03-10-2016 at 09:41 AM.
Old 03-09-2016, 09:39 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use the bosch platinum +4 too and got 8mm wires. You can get the plugs for about 3$ each from advance auto parts using online coupon codes. Here is a pic of my old plug next to the Bosch plug.

Old 03-10-2016, 12:11 AM
TReK
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

No wonder you got codes.
Wrong spark plugs.

All those stupid "Trick" spark plugs are just misfire magnets.

see http://engineodemaster.com for codes decoder

Put in the OEM plugs as noted in the owner's manual

Old 03-22-2016, 07:18 PM
Overlanding

update: All the work was done. New thermostat, radiator flush, spark plugs and wires, coil packs, upper intake gasket. Compression test results were good. Still have slight rough idle. All misfiring codes are now gone..I have no idea what it could be..any suggestions? The gas is not old. ive filled it up multiple times with the highest grade. Thanks

Old 03-22-2016, 08:36 PM
Camel Trophy

update: All the work was done. New thermostat, radiator flush, spark plugs and wires, coil packs, upper intake gasket. Compression test results were good. Still have slight rough idle. All misfiring codes are now gone..I have no idea what it could be..any suggestions? The gas is not old. ive filled it up multiple times with the highest grade. Thanks
Just a hunch but pull the top fan shroud off, turn it on, and look at the main pulley from a side fender. Last week or the week before I had a rumble at idle and my pulley was wobbling it should spin without wobble. I can't remember whether I had the fan off, too. It may have to be out of the way, so you can look from underneath, too. I took the main pulley off and found that the damper was squeezing out on the back side. I'll update this post with a picture. It had about 1/4 inch wobble when turning.

I had a pulley in the garage so I swapped them and the wobble, and rumble, went away.

Last edited by Charlie_V; 03-22-2016 at 09:57 PM.
Old 03-22-2016, 08:43 PM
Camel Trophy

Looks like nothing but it was making a wobble, which went straight to the crank.

The following users liked this post:
Jmcbghs2012 (03-23-2016)
Old 03-23-2016, 08:33 PM
Overlanding

Checked everything over and looked good. Not sure what to do about the rough idle. It runs great just soon as you stop it starts acting up. Having a pressure test done on the cooling system to see if any coolant is leaking. Im running out of ideas..any suggestions are appreciated. Ive replaced everything I can think of that would cause this issue. Im not a mechanic but ive researched as much as i could. Thanks in advance