Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Service Engine soon light

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2006, 01:06 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Service Engine soon light

I have 61K on my 2001 Land Rover Series II. As anticipated, the "Service Engine soon" light came on a few miles back. I replaced the plugs (with platnum plugs), replaced the air filter did an oil change. To my surprise, the "Service Engine soon" light went off. Now, about 20 miles after my "home servicing", the light is back on. Questions:
What caused it to re-set to off by itself?
What may have caused it to come back on again?
How do I turn it off?

Thanks in advance,
Mason

Old 09-09-2006, 02:08 PM
Drifting
Default RE: Service Engine soon light

I just bought our 00 Disco II to a local Advance Auto parts store and they where able scan the codes with their ODBII scanner. I got the print outs of the codes and they where able to erase the codes too. The light is now OFF.

Old 09-10-2006, 11:45 AM
4wd Low

I'm sure there is a process to reset the codes, but it is not listed in the owner's manual. Does anyone know where I can find out how to reset them without going to an LR dealer?

Also, does the fact that the Service engine soon light came back on after a few miles indicate that I have (or still have a problem) and if so any suggestions?

Thanks,

Mason

Old 09-10-2006, 12:25 PM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

The light didn't come on because of mileage, it came on because you a an on going problem with the engine that needs to be scanned and repaired.
So go to your favorite auto part store and get it scanned, have them write down the fault code numbers and get back to us.
By the way, I hope you know you have alot more to do to complete the 60K service.
Mike

Old 09-10-2006, 01:08 PM
4wd Low

I don't quite understand the idea of fault codes that cannot be read or interpredted by the owner. Is this unique to LR? I was able to display the codes on the dash message board of my Cadilac Seville and (as I recall) one of the manuals listed the meaning of the codes. In discussing the problem with a fellow driver last evening (who drives a BMW), he said his most common problem with the light coming on is a loose fuel cap. The nearest LR dealer to me is about 100 miles away, so I would like to avoid killing half a day plus dealer charges to find out that I need a new gas cap or that I did not have the spark plugs torgued properly, or some other minor emissions type problem.

I guess what I am asking is, is there a list of codes available to an owner published somewhere. If so, is it worth buying one of the PC based scanners? I'm not down on taking a car to a dealer, but after buying several parts (towing kit, extra key, etc.) I don't find LR dealers to be especially competitive of parts and service.

Lastly, you indicated that I had a lot more of work to do on my 60k tune up. Is there a list of things that should be checked and done? The idea being, that I can do the "home maintenance" things that make sense and leave the tricky stuff to the dealer mechanic to finish.

Thanks,

Mason

Old 09-10-2006, 03:50 PM
Administrator

ORIGINAL: masonstewart

I don't quite understand the idea of fault codes that cannot be read or interpredted by the owner. Is this unique to LR? I was able to display the codes on the dash message board of my Cadilac Seville and (as I recall) one of the manuals listed the meaning of the codes. In discussing the problem with a fellow driver last evening (who drives a BMW), he said his most common problem with the light coming on is a loose fuel cap. The nearest LR dealer to me is about 100 miles away, so I would like to avoid killing half a day plus dealer charges to find out that I need a new gas cap or that I did not have the spark plugs torgued properly, or some other minor emissions type problem.

I guess what I am asking is, is there a list of codes available to an owner published somewhere. If so, is it worth buying one of the PC based scanners? I'm not down on taking a car to a dealer, but after buying several parts (towing kit, extra key, etc.) I don't find LR dealers to be especially competitive of parts and service.

Lastly, you indicated that I had a lot more of work to do on my 60k tune up. Is there a list of things that should be checked and done? The idea being, that I can do the "home maintenance" things that make sense and leave the tricky stuff to the dealer mechanic to finish.

Thanks,

Mason

Here is some information for you. First of all a complete list of fault codes, check this web site
http://www.lrrforums.com/showthread....ht=fault+codes
Just to clear up your concern, all cars built during and since 1996 operate on a system refered to as OBD2, On Board Diagnostic series 2. To read a code on these vehicles you must plug in an OBD2 scanner and read all the codes by fault numbers. Alot of auto parts store will do this for free. When having it done, write down all the #'s and get back to us.
So go get it scanned and then we can talk about the 60K service. Do you have an owners manual, it will list out the service and there are other things that need to be done to really keep the truck up and running. I try to get most people to do as much as they can at home.
Mike

Old 09-10-2006, 04:47 PM
4wd Low

Mike,

After your last msg, I checked the air cleaner connections, and spark plug wires and coolants that I had done earlier. I then went out to the local Walmart and bought a code scanner. When I started the LR up, the "Service Engine Soon" light did NOT come on! I did notice when I moved the spark plug cables back and forth to check the fit that one of the cables has a tear near the plug contact area. Could that be causing an arc or bad firing? I check out the URL you provided for codes and the next time a sensor light comes on I'll be ready!

Thanks again,

Mason

Old 09-10-2006, 05:00 PM
Administrator

Well, you will need a set of plug wires, the only ones you should buy are Magnacor 8mm. from Rover Connection. They are about $70 and will far out perform any other wire set under $200.
The fun part of course is trying to get them on. If you have a real small hand you may be able to change them, if not you have to pull off the top half of the intake manifold or go to a shop, where you will be charged an easy $200 in labor.
Mike

Old 09-10-2006, 06:15 PM
4wd Low

Mike,

Thanks!

A new twist. Even though my Service Engine Soon light was no longer on, I went ahead and plugged the new ODB2 scanner into the LR to check it. I got a P2539 code (with a red x) on the scanner. According to lookup table provided, P2539 (on a Land Rover) means "Low Pressure Fuel Sensor". What is that and can I fix it? As an aside, I have been putting 87 and 89 octane (regular) fuel in the LR to offset high gas prices. Is that really a good idea and would that cause a P2539 code?

Thanks again,

Mason

Old 09-11-2006, 04:58 PM
Mudding

I agree with Mike on the Magnacore 8mm wires. I got a noticable acceleration improvement when I put these on. I have medium sized hands and was able to install them without any disassembly. It took a couple hours and alot of tweaking my wrist and scraping my knuckles, but I was able to do it. Since I had to work blind, I did it one wire at a time to make sure I didn't swap any.