Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Service Engine Soon light/ misfire?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2006, 10:59 AM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Service Engine Soon light/ misfire?

My service engine soon light illuminated yesterday on my 01 DII. It runs fine except for a couple of low idles while sitting at a stop sign. I recently changed the plugs and did full service of fluids.(about 60 days ago). It has about 87K miles.
I took it to Auto zone to read the OBD and it came up with cylinder misfire at 1, 3 & 5. codes P1300, P0303, P0300, P0305, P0301.
I disc the neg batt term and reseated all plug wires at plugs and verified security at ignition modules.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

(my 96 disco was totaled last year by a suburban)

Old 07-13-2006, 12:37 PM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts
Default RE: Service Engine Soon light/ misfire?

First of all, if you in fact have stored fault codes on your OBD2 Disco, the only way you can clear them is with a good scanner.
What brand of spark plug did you install and at what gap?
My bet would be that in taking off your plug wires to replace the plugs, you damaged the old tired wires. If that is the case, it is time for a good set of Magnacor 8mm wires. Easy way to test if it is the plug wires would be to run your engine with the hood up, in the dark, and look for sparks coming off the wires and grounding on the engine. The hard part will be installing new wires, hard to do but workable.
Mike

Old 07-13-2006, 01:24 PM
Mudding

I am pretty sure you're right about the wires. I only replaced 1 which was #5 I believe.
I installed Champion plugs at the recommended factory gap. I did read an old misfire tech reply that suggested Bosch Pl 4 plugs with 8mm wires. I will probably go with that and see what happens.
As far as reseting the SES lt I didn't htink disc the (-) batt cable would do anything but when I started it up afetr about 30 min the light was gone. It returned after driving a few times.
Thanks for the help.

Old 07-13-2006, 01:52 PM
Administrator

Here is a good scourse for the plugs and wires. If you go that way, you will notice a big increase in low end torque.
Mike

Old 07-13-2006, 03:25 PM
Mudding

Where is a good source?

Old 07-13-2006, 03:56 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the same problem but only with cyl #3 and #6. I wouldnt get too fancy with the brand names, unless you are a competitive driver. I went to the LR dealership and bought the replacements from them. A bit pricey but doing it myself I ended up saving alot of money. Stay with the LR recommended stuff thats what it was made for.

Old 07-13-2006, 04:10 PM
Mudding

Thanks. I don't have a dealer close at all so I have to order the wires one way or another.
(if it is wires).
I know the set is $200 + so if I can get better ones for less I'll try it. I believe the only thing special about the rover wires is that it says Land Rover on the side.
If it was something else I would stay with LR OEM but I should be good with a higher wire and plugs.
I guess I'll find out

Thanks

Old 07-13-2006, 05:11 PM
Administrator

ORIGINAL: robdis96

Thanks. I don't have a dealer close at all so I have to order the wires one way or another.
(if it is wires).
I know the set is $200 + so if I can get better ones for less I'll try it. I believe the only thing special about the rover wires is that it says Land Rover on the side.
If it was something else I would stay with LR OEM but I should be good with a higher wire and plugs.
I guess I'll find out

Thanks
Rover charges extra for their plug wires cause they are the one thing they make that don't leak oil, so they must be quality.
Trust me on the Magnacors, go on the web and rad about them. I have more friends in a couple different Rover clubs using them and they have all had great results.
This is just one of those cases where cheaper is better.
Mike

Old 07-14-2006, 10:26 AM
Mudding

Thanks for all your help I'll me ordering some Magnacor's ASAP