Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Service engine soon light, S and M lights flash

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2012, 09:51 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

When my crank sensor went out on the highway going 60 the M & S lights DID start to flash. I think it was because the engine cut off and the transmission was still in gear and moving with no power to shift. I have a thread on here some where from when mine went out and it sounds very similar to your situation. I did find the ground cable by the alternator was a little lose, but I'm still not sure that was related to the M & S lights. I don't think that my crank sensor failed and ground cable came lose at the same time (could be wrong).

The thread is "Engine just died on the highway" if you want to look.

Old 02-22-2012, 01:07 PM
Winching
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

As stated M and S flashing is due to a bad battery. I had the same problem twice and both times it was the battery. My Disco also ran poorly until I put a new battery in it. Change the battery!

Old 02-23-2012, 07:27 AM
8th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well we checked the battery and it was fine! And the fact that it ran fine for a while and then would stall and die, it sounded more like the crank sensor. It's running fine now! However I also need a new under the dash fuse box.

Old 02-23-2012, 06:04 PM
Winching
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I feel like your yelling at me lol...I was just telling you from what had happened to me. Hope you post the outcome...

Old 02-24-2012, 07:52 AM
8th Gear

aarongreger- Ah I didn't mean to yell.. just pretty happy that she's not as sick as I thought. I was pretty worried that it was going to be something bad because I wasn't having the same diagnosis as everyone else.
Jared9220- I was having extremely similar problems, and the crank sensor fixed the problem.

Old 03-29-2015, 05:17 PM

In my 2003 disco,197k miles. Im just experiencing the same m & s, "D" drive flashing lights with sudden low power when pressing on the gas all the while my service engine light came on. Two weeks ago I experienced the same symptoms right after I had it in the shop for hub assembly and track rod replacements. I gather from this thread that it could be the alternator and/or the transmission? I plan to have it back in the shop this week.

Last edited by wprocope@hotmail.com; 03-29-2015 at 05:18 PM. Reason: added more info
Old 03-29-2015, 10:49 PM
TReK
Received 503 Likes on 418 Posts

Welcome...

You should be gathering from this thread that 75% of the time it is either a bad battery/alternator or bad grounds/connections somewhere in the electrical system.

Last edited by Dave03S; 03-29-2015 at 10:55 PM.
The following users liked this post:
wprocope@hotmail.com (03-30-2015)
Old 03-30-2015, 08:23 AM
Question Discovery II > Service engine soon light, S and M lights flash

Thanks for your response Dave. I forgot to mention - two weeks ago I replaced the battery because it was over 5 years old plus to eliminate that possibility. Although, when this occurred the battery was low then it was recharged by the shop and they checked both the battery and alternator which tested ok but the shop couldn't figure out why the truck stopped running although, it began running a few hours later. We planned to keep a close watch. While it has been running again since yesterday's episode but the service light remains on and the m&s & D lights are no longer flashing. I plan to return to the shop for another round this week. I'm sure they will check the alternator but if Dave or anyone have suggestions please feel free to let me know.

Thank you,
Wayne

Last edited by wprocope@hotmail.com; 03-30-2015 at 08:27 AM. Reason: more info
Old 03-30-2015, 08:31 AM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

If the battery and alternator plus the earth groundings are all good it may then be the XYZ autobox selector switch located on the drivers side of the autobox. If the truck drops into the third gear 'limp home mode' it is more than likely this switch at fault. How many miles and years on your truck? The XYZ switch is expensive new but it can be opened and repaired and there is a thread on here dedicated to such a repair.

https://www.google.fr/webhp?sourceid...20xyz%20switch

Old 03-30-2015, 02:18 PM
Winching
Received 139 Likes on 106 Posts

ckayak2
An excellent example of youth being wasted on the young.... What can make it go into limp mode?? just go to your local Walmart and look around. Plenty of things to make "IT" go into limp mode

Quick Reply: Service engine soon light, S and M lights flash