Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Service estimate from dealer

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2006, 01:31 PM
8th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Service estimate from dealer

Three weeks ago I purchased a 2000 Discovery and since then it has rolled over 80K. It was a grocery getter off of two different leases. However, the last lease holder did not get the 60K or 75K service performed. I have owned a 95 Discovery before so I expected some maintenance would need to be done.

As my luck would have it, since I purchased the vehicle the Service Engine Soon and the ABS, Hill descent control, and TC warning lights have came on. The dealer said the service engine light was from a misfire on cylinder 8. The other three lights are from a braking problem on the left front wheel.

I took the vehicle to the dealership last week and below I have listed what they are recommending for service. I would like your feedback on my options and which items should be priority. I have them listed in the order I would think is priority.

Replace spark plugs ($300 estimate) This should make the service engine light go out because of the cylinder 8 misfire.
Replace mass flow air sensor/filter and do 60K and 75K service ($486 estimate).
Replace old style jockey pulley and belt which has some wear ($215 estimate)
Flush brake fluid and cetk grounds ($325 estimate) may make ABS, hill descent and TC lights go out
If the brake work does not make the lights go out then repair left front ABS hub ($825 estimate)
If that does not make the lights go out then replace the ABS Modular ($2400 estimate)
The vehicle is leaking about two drops of oil and coolant when I park it. They recommend replacing the head gasket ($2500 estimate)

Which of any of these service items could be performed by another mechanic? Or since they are being performed to make those warning lights go out should the dealer do it?

While at the dealership the other day two Discover drivers were talking about a common problem on these Series II vehicles wherein the Drive Shaft would break. Any knowledge/experience on this issue? How common is it?

Mac Adkins

Old 04-17-2006, 05:42 PM
Mudding
Default RE: Service estimate from dealer

I have a 99 Disco 2.

My Mass Airflow Sensor went out at about 90K miles and I got an estimate from my dealer for about $400. I bought the MAFS from Rover Connection for $125. It took about 10 minutes to install. Works great. Definitely do this one yourself if you can use a screwdriver!

I also had a leaking head gasket at about 60K miles (oil leak to outside). My dealer said this one was not urgent because it was only a leak to the outside. By the time I got it in for service I also had an engine check light that would come on any time the vehicle sat for a few days. When they tore into it they found that I had a valve sticking on one cylinder and recommended a valve job. I had been thinking about having them do the valve job while they had the heads off anyway, so went ahead with it. Total job was about $2600. I think that included replacing the pan gasket also.

Elliot

Old 04-17-2006, 06:14 PM
Mudding

All I can add is that if you go by what the dealer says you are going to throw a whole bunch of money into your truck for no reason. I would get a second opinion. You can clear the CEL with a OBDII scanner, I got mine for around $100

Old 04-18-2006, 02:26 PM
Overlanding

$300 for spark plugs is nuts UNLESS they are also replacing the plug wires. If that's the case, then it's probably worth it because they are very difficult to get to.

If this price is just for the plugs, you can do that yourself in less than an hour. The plugs are real easy to get to. The plug change is supposed to be a part of the 60k service.

Old 04-18-2006, 06:02 PM
TReK
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

First thing is stop step back take a deep breath.
Now it looks like the only thing that is wrong is the ABS/HD/TC
light, that could be just a sensor that is on the inside of the hud
that needs to be put back in place.
I think that all Disco II owners have had that problem (Some Help Disco II Owners).
Replacing the mass air flow sensor is only done when it goes out.
A little oil and coolant is no big deal just keep it full for now.
Look for the belt and pulley on line, the Disco I pulley is about $200
but the DII may be cheaper.
The main thing is do what needs to be done now.
Then get caught up little by little.
Good luck Mike

Old 04-19-2006, 11:22 PM
Winching

Welcome Mac!

We can help. Please, one issue per post.

Thanks,

Bait

Old 04-22-2006, 11:42 AM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a ABS modulator new in vacume pack from rover I can let go for around 500 I also have a hub complete with abs sensor in rover box for around 100. Check and see if the coolant leak maybe a more comman cause is the intake gasket set or throttle body preheat both substancially cheaper then head set job

Old 04-27-2006, 07:35 PM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

Mac
Have you done any of the work yet, are you at all mechanically inclined and want to save a bunch of money, if so, we should talk, I can walk you thru all that needs to be done.
Get back to me if you want to talk.
Mike

Old 04-27-2006, 11:21 PM
8th Gear

Mike,

I have not had all of that work done yet. Where are you? I am in Montgomery, AL. I am willing to put in some elbow grease, but I do not have lots of mechanical experience. I have ordered the shop manual CD. I would like to find someone with a Land Rover in Montgomery who could work with me when needed. I would certainly pay them for their time. If you are not in Montgomery just speaking with someone on the phone would be helpful. For example, I am confident I could change the spark plugs. But I would not want to mistread or over tighten them. Some words of advice on something like that would be helpful.

Mac

Old 04-28-2006, 01:33 PM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

Mac,
e-mail me your tele# and a good time to call, have a pen a nd paper ready. You will be surprised at how easy alot of this stuff to do.
mikeljacobs@***.net
Mike