Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shell V-Power° Fuel System Cleaner

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2008, 06:48 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts
Default RE: Shell V-Power° Fuel System Cleaner

I get mine from my mechanic, Rob at MIT, but many high end dealer sell it, my local Napa has it or contact the locator on the B&G web site.
I just bought a can 2 days ago to use on my up coming trip to Moab, next week. Best time to use it is when you are going to be out on the road for a couple of hours.
Let me know how you like it.
Mike

Old 04-04-2008, 08:07 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All right, this whole conversation has me puzzled a bit and brings up a few questions.

1-What about the fact thatShell had a huge collective law suite against them a few years back because an additive they were using were killing fuel pumps. Is that fixed or what??? Cause I've been avoiding Shell ever since because of the way they handled the whole thing, by denying everything, even with the huge amount of proof that was on the table. And...of course they lost.

2-When you guys use Shell, do you use the 93 or 91 octane ???

Btw, I just finished my second can of BG44K ( thought that since my Disco is at 58000 miles and spent about 2 years deep in europe using 'dirty gas', 2 can in a row could only help) I can say that I seem to be getting a good 1 m.p.g better than before using it.

Old 04-04-2008, 09:19 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Shell has long since removed that additive, it was one of those things that was great for the engine but the cats had a hard time burning it off.
They are fine now.

Old 04-07-2008, 07:36 PM
Recovery Vehicle

I'm still interested to know from you guys that claim that using Shell instead of the others yields better m.p.g.

Do you use the 91 or 93 octane ??? If your answer is 93, does the improved m.p.g offests the higher cost of the 93 octane compared to the 91 ???

Old 04-07-2008, 08:48 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Here in the US we have three grades of gas, Regular (87 octane), MidGrade (89), and Premium (91-92-93-94). There is also racing gas (110) but it is like $6 a gallon and some of it has lead.
It all depends on the location. Two gas stations within 2 miles of one another can have different pump octane.
The Shell that I go to has 6 cent Tuesdays, 6 cents off every gallon of premium (93), the Speedway which is half mile away has a 92 octane and is the same price (except Tuesdays) as the Shell. The Speedway is a discount gas station.
Within 2 miles of my house are 6 different brands of gas and they all have different octanes from one another. The law says that regular and midgrade must be the same rating. Premium must be at least 91 octane.
I use Shell 90% of the time in both my cars. And 100% of the time in my lawnmower, snowblower, chainsaw, and weedwacker.
I do get better MPG with Shell, even if I didnt, it is the same price as the discount gas so why not use a name that you can trust? Even if not Shell, I would use BP or Mobil.
As a trk driver I can tell you that there is a difference in fuel brands. Your discount brands have more parafin (wax) in their diesel which can cause gelling in cold weather, hard starts and pour MPG and power loss.
Bottom line, you get what you pay for.
But to answer your question, yes I do get better MPG with Shell V-Power.
And I belive that Rover requires no less than 91 pump octane.

Old 04-08-2008, 08:59 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Thanks for the info. By the way, evebody knows that gas is suppose to go up next summer, and up here regular is already your equivalent of $5.00 a gallon, and it will apparently go up to $6.00 a gallon by July.