Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shifting issue and acceleration issue

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2014, 07:01 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 971 Likes on 646 Posts
Unhappy Shifting issue and acceleration issue

Yep, so here's a problem that makes me nervous. The last week or so the old girl has been shifting funny. Around half throttle between 3rd and 4th, it seems like it will shift to 4th, immediately back to 3rd for just a plot second, and then immediately again back to 4th. Thats what it feels and sounds like, anyway. This is when the engine is warm even, not just cold.

It also seems to stay in gear too long while it's cold. Probably until around 2100 rpm at light throttle. I haven't had this happen past 1st and 2nd.

I should note, I changed the transmission fluid about a year and 12k miles ago. I did not add any Lucas Stop Slip. I was in a hurry when I did it and completely forgot. The bottle is still on the shelf in my garage. It was doing fine until the past week or so.

The next problem seems to happen in any gear at full throttle. I get to around 3k-3400 rpm and then I lose some power for just a second, we drop to around 2800 rpm, and then we accelerate right back up and past 3k-3400. I have a brand new MAF sensor and 4 brand new O2 sensors hoping one or the other would fix the issue and they have not.

Does anyone have any ideas on either issue?

Thanks!

Old 11-04-2014, 10:30 AM
Camel Trophy

Oh, and I should note that the second problem happens whether the truck is warm or cold.

Old 11-04-2014, 03:27 PM
Winching
Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Alex_M
Oh, and I should note that the second problem happens whether the truck is warm or cold.
same thing with mine while in sports mode, off it it doesnt seem to do it.
i do hear/feel a popping type sound from the trans when i come to a stop as well but if i put it in neutral it goes away.

Old 11-04-2014, 06:45 PM
Camel Trophy

Originally Posted by ls1morethanyou
same thing with mine while in sports mode, off it it doesnt seem to do it.
i do hear/feel a popping type sound from the trans when i come to a stop as well but if i put it in neutral it goes away.
I don't hear a popping, but it happens for me whether in sport mode or not.

Edit: However, I forgot to mention this, but sometimes it does kinda jerk into gears.

Last edited by Alex_M; 11-04-2014 at 07:01 PM.
Old 11-14-2014, 02:24 PM
Camel Trophy

Looks like it's leaking from around the bell housing, which I didn't notice before. It hasn't been losing any oil and I need to check my transmission fluid.

Old 11-14-2014, 03:10 PM
Baja
Received 721 Likes on 626 Posts

Any codes?

Old 11-14-2014, 11:59 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Alex_M
Around half throttle between 3rd and 4th, it seems like it will shift to 4th, immediately back to 3rd for just a plot second, and then immediately again back to 4th. Thats what it feels and sounds like, anyway. This is when the engine is warm even, not just cold.
I have no ideas [yet], but wanted to join the thread because my '00 Disco has been doing the same thing since I bought it a little less than a year ago. It had 106k when I bought it, 126k now...

Only happens when I'm pushing it a fair bit, but not at WOT. The shift programming on these things is rather geared toward fuel economy I think, because it likes to shift early, though that could just be because my truck is low on power because of elevation here.

I've observed it only happening when at a middle RPM (2600-3200), with about half throttle (give or take a fair bit). It shifts to the next gear, thinks twice about it, shifts back, then into the next gear in a period of less than a second. It does it so fast, you almost can't tell it's happening without looking for it, or watching the tach. Can't be good for the transmission, I've always wondered what was up with it.

FWIW, I thought the problem got better after I did a partial fluid change w/ filter. I simply pulled the pan and replaced filter, so a lot of the old fluid remained. I could have swore it made it better for 5-14 days, then went back to its old self-- but that could very well be wishful thinking and nothing else!

Old 11-15-2014, 07:57 AM
Camel Trophy

Originally Posted by abran
Any codes?
No codes.

Old 11-17-2014, 07:34 AM
Camel Trophy

Ok, trans fluid is absolutely perfect. I'm sending the new MAF back as defective and I'm going to order the Bosch replacement from Lucky 8 in the next couple or three weeks. Hopefully that will atleast help the RPM drop at WOT. I still haven't found where the mystery fluid is coming from. I'm almost positive it's engine oil, but it doesn't seem like I'm losing nearly as much oil as I'm seeing on the ground.