Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

shock absorbers for discovery 2

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2017, 10:58 AM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default shock absorbers for discovery 2

Hello Everyone,

Just signed up here and here my first question:

I own a Disco ii with the td5 engine and 135000 km
The front suspension is to weak for my taste. On a normal speed bumb it will hit the end of the suspension. So I want to put in different shock absorbers. I have no intension of hightening the car since 90 percent of driving will be on road.

So, I want a smooth on road ride and no trouble when driving in a descent speed over speed bump. Which would you recommend and why?

Oh by the way i might want add winch to the front...

I assume that most of the brands you get in the USA are will also be available in Europe.

Old 05-24-2017, 05:44 PM
TReK
Received 503 Likes on 418 Posts

if I were to update a stock system I'd get new Britpart stock replacement springs and the stock shock absorber of your choice. Bilstein are my choice but yours may vary.

Keep in mind putting new shock absorbers (dampers) on old worn out springs will just ruin the new shocks in short order so be sure to update your springs too.

If you want to add a winch then you need heavy duty springs on the front. you can get stock height heavy duty springs.

Old 05-24-2017, 06:45 PM
Winching
Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Old Man EMU are pretty popular Shocks for the Disco. That's what I put on mine. I'm still running the original springs on the front and SLS on the back.

Old 05-24-2017, 07:52 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2,238 Likes on 1,661 Posts

I like the TF shocks. I just wish we could get Bilstein 5100's!

Old 05-25-2017, 04:02 PM
Received 313 Likes on 289 Posts

Originally Posted by René van Rijn
Hello Everyone,

The front suspension is to weak for my taste. On a normal speed bumb it will hit the end of the suspension. So I want to put in different shock absorbers. I have no intension of hightening the car since 90 percent of driving will be on road.

So, I want a smooth on road ride and no trouble when driving in a descent speed over speed bump. Which would you recommend and why?

I assume that most of the brands you get in the USA are will also be available in Europe.
I have the OME Sport Shocks, and really like them.

Old 05-26-2017, 03:49 AM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by René van Rijn
Hello Everyone,

It depends entirely on your budget whether it's $1000 or $5000. In truth for a smooth highway ride the standard shocks are virtually unbeatable provided you've got no body lift.

In truth, if it's standard, it's hitting the bump stops not the suspension bottoming out. I have changed my shocks for no other reason the old units were 'tired' and replaced them with TF's because they are cheap and do the job OK as I don't do off road only highway. I also changed the front springs and rear air suspension as they were also 'tired'.