Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shopping for a D2 but should I go for a LR3?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2013, 09:32 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by TRIARII
But then again these scenarios only apply to fanatical people who trully love their vehicles enough to invest this much.... whereas any normal person would walk away.
agree 100% we must be touched in the head.....damn D2s
Buy the LR3 .....

Old 10-04-2013, 09:35 AM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Savannah Buzz
Some people would not throw $9000 engine replacement at a $3000 - $5000 D2. But I was incomplete when I did not point out that you can download the full owners and shop manuals for both in links below for free, the LR3 section contains all sorts of press release photos, etc.

I love these vehicles but I find it crazy and stupid they would charge $9000 for engine replacement, that's just out of this world. Trust me I have seen the prices and it's nuts. If it were a 4.7 L in a Land Cruiser I might understand more but for an engine that belongs to the D2 I have the hardest time even thinking about it.

Big Question and I have wondered this for some time now. Can a totally different engine be setup in the D2's? I have a friend with a shop who can pull engines for me if one were to ever die. Could I swap a totally different engine in that would be more reliable. Say something from Toyota or whatever?

Old 10-04-2013, 09:39 AM
Drifting

Both Discoveries are great vehicles when properly taken care of. But fact is, LR did NOT put as much time effort or quality into the D2, many of its components came from the parts bin and alot of its technology is borrowed from Range Rover and BMW. The petro Buick engine in the D2 is very unreliable and poorly built so you can expect problems with it such as bad head gaskets, overheating and eventually a rebuild will be in order. Im sure you already know about the front propshaft by now yes? Another poor design.

That said the early model Disco 3 is not perfect neither. Some have been plagued by air suspension problems which can be very costly and not practical in cold weather environments where the bladders are more likely to crack due to extreme cold. Early models also had some electrical issues, some of which stem from LR installing a underpowered (to small) a battery for which to handle all the fancy new electronics on board. Some have reported that the exterior trim pieces practically fall off, and interior pieces to be low quality.

Lucky for you, both models are lowering in value so youll have more options. And luckily for you the Disco 3 has been out long enough that aftermarket Land Rover parts vendors sell affordable parts for the Disco 3 as well as the older D2 models so maintence should not be to costly so long as your a do it yourselfer or have a trusted indi mechanic with good rates. Both vehicles are very capable both on and off road. Each has its highlights and drawbacks. Same can be said for any vehicle though. If money is not an issue and you prefer the D2 then treat yourself to a well maintained 2004 D2 HSE model. Just keep in mind what i said about that engine, cause eventually you WILL have to replace or rebuild it. Average cost for engine replacement is roughly $9,000. If money is of concern and your not to found of major engine issues then go with the Disco 3, because air suspension repairs will still cost much less then a D2 engine repair. The D2 is easier to work on and parts may be cheaper and more common to find, while the Disco 3 is larger, more room for passengers and cargo and the terain response system combined with diff lock and aggressive tires makes the Disco 3 superior to the D2 in many cases.

Best of luck
When thinking about the LR3 I think to myself, I would rather take electrical and air suspension issues any day of the week over a motor issue. But still in my heart I love the D2 and it's true look compared to the more modern day LR3.

Old 10-04-2013, 09:43 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

with enough money you can do anything diesels, V12 BMW, whatever. No; you can not just buy a kit and throw a small block Chevy in it if that's your idea.
Seems to be everyone's idea, but I have never seen one completed and running that would even come close to passing a state emission test.

Old 10-04-2013, 10:06 AM
Winching
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

If you like the D2 which I personally do buy it. Much a less complex beast then the LR3 for sure. I really like the look of the LR4 and even if I had the money to purchase one I would purchase another vehicle.

Be prepared to work on the D2, get frustrated, question your own abilities and decisions and previously mentioned even shed a tear. In the end its a love hate relationship that is part of owning this machine.

I own both the D2 and a Land cruiser. The D2 in my opinion is much more nimble due to the smaller size and is a great trail truck. The 4.6 has good power and torque although the Cruiser is so smooth you don't even know its running half the time.

I at one time thought the D2 had good storage until I bought the Cruiser. So it all depends on what you compare it to.

The D2 can be purchased for a low initial cost but may end up costing you double that if you end up replacing the engine.

I replaced my 04 engine with a Turner Block 2 years ago and I just recently had it out of the truck again for a failed head gasket. Thankfully I didn't Overheat the Engine as that would have been $6K down the drain. If you don't plan on working on the truck yourself, the labor cost in my opinion would not make it financially a wise decision to purchase. If you have no issue with spending $$$ then it doesn't matter.

Last edited by 0304Disco; 10-04-2013 at 10:09 AM.
Old 10-04-2013, 10:50 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by drowssap
with enough money you can do anything diesels, V12 BMW, whatever. No; you can not just buy a kit and throw a small block Chevy in it if that's your idea.
Seems to be everyone's idea, but I have never seen one completed and running that would even come close to passing a state emission test.
Well we don't have state emissions tests here in Kansas, lol, so I don't see that being a problem. But I would seriously like to look into this because if I could down the road replace the Rover engine with a more reliable and cheaper motor than I'll do that.

Old 10-04-2013, 10:56 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by 0304Disco
If you like the D2 which I personally do buy it. Much a less complex beast then the LR3 for sure. I really like the look of the LR4 and even if I had the money to purchase one I would purchase another vehicle.

Be prepared to work on the D2, get frustrated, question your own abilities and decisions and previously mentioned even shed a tear. In the end its a love hate relationship that is part of owning this machine.

I own both the D2 and a Land cruiser. The D2 in my opinion is much more nimble due to the smaller size and is a great trail truck. The 4.6 has good power and torque although the Cruiser is so smooth you don't even know its running half the time.

I at one time thought the D2 had good storage until I bought the Cruiser. So it all depends on what you compare it to.

The D2 can be purchased for a low initial cost but may end up costing you double that if you end up replacing the engine.

I replaced my 04 engine with a Turner Block 2 years ago and I just recently had it out of the truck again for a failed head gasket. Thankfully I didn't Overheat the Engine as that would have been $6K down the drain. If you don't plan on working on the truck yourself, the labor cost in my opinion would not make it financially a wise decision to purchase. If you have no issue with spending $$$ then it doesn't matter.
Yeah I would plan on doing all my work myself for sure. I think the LR3 looks kind of weak compared to the D2. Like that LR3 doesn't look trail capable much, to much plastic and to big - maybe to big. I just think the D2 looks serious and like it was not meant to touch paved roads. lol

Old 10-04-2013, 12:00 PM
TReK
Received 86 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Lyric
Yeah I would plan on doing all my work myself for sure. I think the LR3 looks kind of weak compared to the D2. Like that LR3 doesn't look trail capable much, to much plastic and to big - maybe to big. I just think the D2 looks serious and like it was not meant to touch paved roads. lol
I agree with you, I really prefer the look of the D2 over the Disco 3. I do want a Disco 3 HSE with HD package but in my opinion the Disco 3 has less heritage and more "trends" styling cues to it whereas the D2 still retains some heritage styling cues that go back to the Series models. Things specifically I love in the styling of the D2 are:

- Thick pronounced roof rails
- the pronounced steeped roof
- those rectangular windows in the upper rear end area
- the redesigned front bumper on the 03/04 models. Offers improved ground clearance but looks great.
- The classic/modern blend and feel of the vehicle. The vehicle is instantly distinguishable from any other vehicle. Looks classic and modern at the same time. Not to big for offroading, but plenty big enough for a family or lots of cargo. Toyota Land Cruiser is larger and bulky and ugly as sin. Disco 3 and 4 are capable but they look like plastic and the huge front bumper is a disaster for offroading....

Old 10-04-2013, 12:44 PM
Drifting

I agree with you, I really prefer the look of the D2 over the Disco 3. I do want a Disco 3 HSE with HD package but in my opinion the Disco 3 has less heritage and more "trends" styling cues to it whereas the D2 still retains some heritage styling cues that go back to the Series models. Things specifically I love in the styling of the D2 are:

- Thick pronounced roof rails
- the pronounced steeped roof
- those rectangular windows in the upper rear end area
- the redesigned front bumper on the 03/04 models. Offers improved ground clearance but looks great.
- The classic/modern blend and feel of the vehicle. The vehicle is instantly distinguishable from any other vehicle. Looks classic and modern at the same time. Not to big for offroading, but plenty big enough for a family or lots of cargo. Toyota Land Cruiser is larger and bulky and ugly as sin. Disco 3 and 4 are capable but they look like plastic and the huge front bumper is a disaster for off-roading....

I think we both see a like here. Everything you mentioned is how I feel and more. Like you said they hold that heritage look and are just unique.

The LR3 and LR4 like you said are to plastic-ky looking and like you said about the grill - its just big. lol. I think they have done with Discovery what they did with the Range Rover. They modernized it and now it's well what it is.

The Land Cruiser was always a like it and I don't like it. I always loved the back ends of the Land Cruisers but the front was kind of ugly and boring. Kind of like the 4Runner, nothing special about it. I would have liked the FJ Cruiser more if they would have kept it more toward the orginal in looks but they had to modernize it but I kind of understand why because so much time has gone by and they needed to catch up with the current trend/look. Toyota should have never killed off the FJ and if they had not I think it would have turned out better than what we call the FJ today.

Old 10-04-2013, 06:20 PM
TReK
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

If you can afford an LR3 then buy it.
The only reason people have a D2 is that they can't or are unwilling to pony up money for an LR3.

I am unwilling to pony up the money for an LR3.

If money is no object and you are drowning in money, by all means get an LR3 or an LR4.

the dollar MAY end up worthless anyway.
So, if you are sitting on dollars - spend them before they are worthless or inflation kicks in.

Quick Reply: Shopping for a D2 but should I go for a LR3?