Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shopping for a D2 but should I go for a LR3?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2013, 08:26 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

Have to admit the LR3 is growing on me but I'd still take a D2. It's a simpler truck to work on. There are way more aftermarket parts available. Awesome shock and spring options. A modded out D2 is still superior in looks and ruggedness than both LR3 and LR4. The nostalgia will always be there on a D2 and it is a totally do it yourself vehicle.

Originally Posted by 0304Disco
If you like the D2 which I personally do buy it. Much a less complex beast then the LR3 for sure. I really like the look of the LR4 and even if I had the money to purchase one I would purchase another vehicle.

Be prepared to work on the D2, get frustrated, question your own abilities and decisions and previously mentioned even shed a tear. In the end its a love hate relationship that is part of owning this machine.

I own both the D2 and a Land cruiser. The D2 in my opinion is much more nimble due to the smaller size and is a great trail truck. The 4.6 has good power and torque although the Cruiser is so smooth you don't even know its running half the time.

I at one time thought the D2 had good storage until I bought the Cruiser. So it all depends on what you compare it to.

The D2 can be purchased for a low initial cost but may end up costing you double that if you end up replacing the engine.

I replaced my 04 engine with a Turner Block 2 years ago and I just recently had it out of the truck again for a failed head gasket. Thankfully I didn't Overheat the Engine as that would have been $6K down the drain. If you don't plan on working on the truck yourself, the labor cost in my opinion would not make it financially a wise decision to purchase. If you have no issue with spending $$$ then it doesn't matter.
A head gasket after 2 years? Are you kidding me? Turner owes you money. This is why I don't buy any of the ARP stud/special HG material mumbo jumbo. That turner block should be sealed for a long time. Shouldn't your top hat liners keep you from slipping a sleeve in an overheat anyway?

Last edited by DiscoRover007; 10-04-2013 at 08:29 PM.
Old 10-04-2013, 09:18 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jfall
If you can afford an LR3 then buy it.
The only reason people have a D2 is that they can't or are unwilling to pony up money for an LR3.

I am unwilling to pony up the money for an LR3.

If money is no object and you are drowning in money, by all means get an LR3 or an LR4.

the dollar MAY end up worthless anyway.
So, if you are sitting on dollars - spend them before they are worthless or inflation kicks in.
I humbly disagree, I am driving my D2 because I love it. Money is not the reason. The LR3/4 vehicles might be better but they have zero appeal to me. Straight up boring. The D2 is gorgeous, a special ride, it speaks to me.

By the time I die I'm sure I'll have a few LR4's worth of money in it but that's fine by me. There is nothing rational about how I feel, this I understand.

Old 10-04-2013, 09:20 PM
TReK
Received 86 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by weepit
I humbly disagree, I am driving my D2 because I love it. Money is not the reason. The LR3/4 vehicles might be better but they have zero appeal to me. Straight up boring. The D2 is gorgeous, a special ride, it speaks to me.

By the time I die I'm sure I'll have a few LR4's worth of money in it but that's fine by me. There is nothing rational about how I feel, this I understand.

I like this

Old 10-04-2013, 09:38 PM
TReK
Received 86 Likes on 59 Posts

Name:  wagons-2-470-0908_zps54866fbf.jpg
Views: 61
Size:  66.6 KB

Name:  Land-Rover-2004-Discovery-G4-b_zpsd6cb6c94.jpg
Views: 85
Size:  594.0 KB

Name:  Land-Rover-1999-Discovery-auto-show-chicago_zps2068540a.jpg
Views: 72
Size:  428.5 KB

Name:  LandRoverDiscovery22002-20042_zpsfc41eaee.jpg
Views: 76
Size:  48.2 KB

Name:  ARBSahara_zps7f37d166.jpg
Views: 131
Size:  119.2 KB

Name:  landrover11_zps15509254.jpg
Views: 102
Size:  24.4 KB

Name:  land_rover_discovery_manu_07_zpsf8397136.jpg
Views: 69
Size:  46.7 KB

Name:  Image-of-Land-Rover-G4-Challenge-2012_zps7aad7930.jpg
Views: 53
Size:  90.2 KB

Name:  2007_Land_Rover_Discovery-2_zps2ddfdcb6.jpg
Views: 201
Size:  71.4 KB

Name:  land_rover_discovery_manu_03_zpsc32eb966.jpg
Views: 111
Size:  24.0 KB

Name:  trektravel11_zps9cdacd1a.jpg
Views: 98
Size:  61.8 KB

Name:  Safety-Devices-Land-Rover-Discovery2-Highlander-Roof-Rack-RRL1560RRA-with-roof-rails-hi.jpg
Views: 216
Size:  366.8 KB

A masterpiece of art and a very fine blend of classic modern. The Disco 3/4 removed the roof rails, some models have them but they are small and no longer pronouced as they were on the D1/D2 models. The upper rear end rectangular windows were removed, large impractical ugly *** wheels were thrown on and the rugged look and feel has been removed from new models. I do want a Disco 3 but not likely to get rid of my baby

Last edited by TRIARII; 10-04-2013 at 09:43 PM.
Old 10-04-2013, 10:15 PM
Drifting
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Both have strengths and weakness. The LR3 is more capable (just my 2¢) especially if you have the HD option. Some trails that can be challenging on the Disco (diff locked, and lock front and rear) is much more easier on the LR3. I think advance electronics is what helps it ie; Terrain Response. The Disco is much more challenging and makes you think, more fun, and you get a better feeling of self satisfaction after a hard day of trails.

As far as cargo LR3 is better. Looks...well that is on the owners eyes. Dependability LR3 hands down. Even a well taken care Disco often needs maintenance.

I have 3 vehicles made by Land Rover and I like them all. If I didn't I would not own them.

Old 10-05-2013, 02:32 AM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by weepit

Great response, love it. Plus the LR3 doesn't take that much more cash to buy. If you take into account a really well maintained D2 and you take a decent and taken care of LR3, you will see some of the LR3's go for $9,500, $11,500 and on. Honestly that's not a whole lot of difference when looking at a really well maintained D2 from 2004. So yeah.

But I agree the LR3 just does not appeal to me the way the D2 does. The D2 was the last of the real Discovery's in my book. The LR3 and LR4 are on a totally different page. When you think about it they only refer to them elsewhere in the world as the Discovery 3 and Discovery 4 but not in the US because of poor reviews and issues the D2's had. They would have been better off doing this all over the world and just starting a whole new line of vehicles. Ether discontinued the name Discovery all together or carried it on in a proper way. Or they could have took it off the market and brought it back later or something else. Don't get me wrong, the LR3 and LR4 are nice and super sweet but in my book no Discovery. It's like the Range Rovers little brother and a slight bit of Ford influence in looks. No Discovery, a totally different vehicle with no Discovery at all.

Old 10-05-2013, 02:35 AM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your a great man, Thank you for all these amazing pics of these beautiful iconic machines. One day very soon these will be collectors like other Rovers. Simple beautiful and amazing.

Originally Posted by TRIARII

A masterpiece of art and a very fine blend of classic modern. The Disco 3/4 removed the roof rails, some models have them but they are small and no longer pronouced as they were on the D1/D2 models. The upper rear end rectangular windows were removed, large impractical ugly *** wheels were thrown on and the rugged look and feel has been removed from new models. I do want a Disco 3 but not likely to get rid of my baby

Old 10-05-2013, 03:36 AM
TReK
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

Wonderful pictures.
I see your point exactly.

I am a visual creature.

I did see an LR3 in Craigslist for sale for $12K.
But it may come with a soccer ball sticker on the gas tank lid.

Your point is well made to me.

Old 10-05-2013, 08:48 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by jfall
If you can afford an LR3 then buy it.
The only reason people have a D2 is that they can't or are unwilling to pony up money for an LR3.
I really disagree with this statement. I definitely could afford an LR3 or 4.

But I think the LR3 is hideous, and the LR4 is the tiniest bit more attractive than the LR3. Conversely, the Disco 1/2 are modern classics.

Not only do they look great, I love the design of the interior, and (thankfully) the Disco is the easiest vehicle to work on I have ever seen.

Last edited by dr. mordo; 10-05-2013 at 08:52 AM.
Old 10-02-2016, 10:44 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 83 Likes on 70 Posts

Prediction:
In 10 years tone people will be talking about the D3 and D4 body style as "classic", "rugged", "iconic" and "last of its type"

The D2 was such a reliability nightmare in the USA that JLR had to retire the brand name for a whole generation. Its ok that we look on these vehicles fondly and with rose tinted spectacles. I truly get it, we're enthusiasts.

Poor gas mileage, poor driver crash protection and questionable build quality with electronics stashed in questionable locations for those who wanted to attempt water crossings. As a daily driver, the D3 or D4 is a much better choice. As a dedicated off-road /trail truck, a coil sprung Range Rover classic SWB or D1 eats the longer D2's lunch and there are less electronics to fry.

Quick Reply: Shopping for a D2 but should I go for a LR3?