Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should I buy this 99'? Had a mechanic check it out

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2016, 10:23 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Best4x4
My 02 Kalahari (build date of 11/01 has it). I also owned another 02 that was produced 1/02 and it didn't have it. From all the info I pulled up, and from the LR Master Tech's I've talked to and known. It's the build date that decides the CDL nipple being there or not.

True 02 production year and 03's were the only ones that were shipped without the CDL nipple.

Also when I said linkage I was meaning the nipple/linkage inside the TC itself not the actual linkage cable mechanism.
The Kalahari was a special built rig, not your standard issue D2. If you go back and read the archives on this site, you will see the actual date, I'm real sure on June 01'. I could be wrong...The CDL game has been played here for years!! hahahaaha

Old 05-05-2016, 10:27 AM
Super Moderator
Received 2,272 Likes on 1,676 Posts

I'm going by the build date on the drivers door. It says 10/01 (just double checked thought it was 11/01) and it is indeed a 100% genuine Kalahari.

Old 05-05-2016, 10:39 AM
Winching
Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts

Don't buy a Discovery for a couple thousand dollars if your budget for the first couple years is not at least $10K. You'd just be kidding yourself, and end up feeling burned. On the other hand, if you're realistic about the TCO, just get one that is rust-free and get started on your project. Recognize also that if your plan involves more than a quick fix and to flip it, then you'll never get your money back in resale. You'll pay thousands of dollars every year you own it, and there's no return on that other than what you get out of it for yourself.

Last edited by binvanna; 05-05-2016 at 11:42 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Jeff Blake (05-05-2016)
Old 05-05-2016, 10:48 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 245 Likes on 230 Posts

That's a great list. I had forgotten about the glass lights. I have them and a set of the new style but when I realized they come latter were plastic I just put them in the garage.

Leaking to the ground doesn't bother me. Every leak is a bargaining point and I can fix any major ones (rear seal is a BITCH but I can do that) with cheap gaskets and rtv, and ignore any minor ones. What bothers me is ticking and coolant loss or pressurized coolant combined with misfires, which could be minor (head gaskets) or major (cracked block, slipped sleeve) and is tough to ferret out from a seller or determine by normal means.

If a seller reset the codes just before I got there I would punch him in the face.

I took a chance on one with a blown head gasket (exhaust leak) and while I did other things with it, I could have just replaced one head gasket for cheap. I got it for 1800 (I paid half of that and got the engine and transmission, and pallets of other parts).

It is good to know what parts cost and how much trouble they are to fix. If you have to go to shop the calculus changes.

Old 05-05-2016, 10:49 AM
Super Moderator

Good D2's are around for under 4K. Heck I just grabbed a super clean 99 with 105k, head gaskets were done, new spark plug wires/plugs, Arnott Air Springs, OME Shocks, good tires, all electronics work, ACE works, SLS works, 4Lo, HDC, ABS, transfer case, transmission, and engine are extremely maintained for $1500.00. Previous owner was from San Fransisco, moved to TX, alternator went out, so she had it towed to a LR Shop where it sat for 4 months. She bought a new car and honestly forgot about it, and instead of fixing the alternator and selling it for 3-4K she sold it to me for 1500.00 and this was a CL Find (just funny how it was my friends LR Shop).

Be patient and just look around. DO NOT Rush it, and the right D1/D2 will come along.

I drove up to Austin with my wife and 4 year old daughter, slapped in an Alternator, a new battery, and it fired right up and the SLS aired up fully. I checked temps, fluid levels, and I did have to bleed the master cylinder as the seals on the brake reservoir were leaking (but that took no time at all). I then drove non stop for 4.5hr without a single issue and I even had 3/4 of a tank of free gas lol.

So far I have 400.00 into it for two new upstream 02 sensors, and I put a magnaflow muffler and cut the resonator off. I had a brand new master cylinder on my parts truck so I swapped that out and that is all the issues with the 99. I normally have like a 2 week turn around on getting a LR back to nearly showroom condition but the 99 took me just a weekend.

If I had the $$$$$ I'd open my own LR RRC/D1/D2 Land Rover Shop. My wife is extremely understanding as Land Rover's are an addiction to me, but there are a lot worse things to be addicted to haha. I've been into LR's since I was 15 and I'm nearly 40 now. Time flies when you're having fun. I did the Jeep thing for 5 years and got extremely bored with the type of people Jeep owners are now. Now I am back into LR's and instead of buying myself a new 40K SUV I'm just tinkering with older LR's, hitting up Ebay, Pick n Pull yards, and helping fellow LR Owners out on the forums.

Last edited by Best4x4; 05-05-2016 at 11:06 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Jeff Blake (05-05-2016)
Old 05-05-2016, 10:51 AM
Camel Trophy

That was a steal. I will give you 1600 for it. Haha

Old 05-05-2016, 11:02 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

Good D2's are around for under 4K. Heck I just grabbed a super clean 99 with 105k, head gaskets were done, new spark plug wires/plugs, Arnott Air Springs, OME Shocks, good tires, all electronics work, ACE works, SLS works, 4Lo, HDC, ABS, transfer case, transmission, and engine are extremely maintained for $1500.00. Previous owner was from San Fransisco, moved to TX, alternator went out, so she had it towed to a LR Shop where it sat for 4 months. She bought a new car and honestly forgot about it, and instead of fixing the alternator and selling it for 3-4K she sold it to me for 1500.00 and this was a CL Find (just funny how it was my friends LR Shop).

Be patient and just look around. DO NOT Rush it, and the right D1/D2 will come along.
These are the deals we want!

Old 05-05-2016, 11:04 AM
Camel Trophy

This is the current Rover to get, nationwide.

Old 05-05-2016, 11:12 AM
Super Moderator

The 1500.00 LR is even better than just being 1500.00 lol, not sure if ya'll remember my 98 D1 was rear ended. I had to go to war with the dudes insurance company (AVOID TRAVELERS AT ALL COST......) They finally settled my claim and DID NOT TOTAL my 98 D1 and the title is still clean. I fixed my 98 D1 myself for around $300.00 with it just costing me $$$ in parts (rear bumper, and misc trim & the body shop wanted 4300.00 as they were LR Clueless...) I had zero paint damage, so with the left over $$$$ I was able to grab a perfectly fine D2 and still have $$$$ in my pocket.

Can't beat that with a stick!! I watch CL like a hawk lol and I can spot the village bicycles and the good deals instantly. I'd avoid anything from the Houston area for a good while as I'm sure some LR's were under water after all the recent flooding!

Last edited by Best4x4; 05-05-2016 at 11:15 AM.
Old 05-05-2016, 11:21 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 111 Likes on 104 Posts

The 1500.00 LR is even better than just being 1500.00 lol, not sure if ya'll remember my 98 D1 was rear ended. I had to go to war with the dudes insurance company (AVOID TRAVELERS AT ALL COST......) They finally settled my claim and DID NOT TOTAL my 98 D1 and the title is still clean. I fixed my 98 D1 myself for around $300.00 with it just costing me $$$ in parts (rear bumper, and misc trim & the body shop wanted 4300.00 as they were LR Clueless...) I had zero paint damage, so with the left over $$$$ I was able to grab a perfectly fine D2 and still have $$$$ in my pocket.

Can't beat that with a stick!! I watch CL like a hawk lol and I can spot the village bicycles and the good deals instantly. I'd avoid anything from the Houston area for a good while as I'm sure some LR's were under water after all the recent flooding!

I'm pretty sure that I hate you.

Quick Reply: Should I buy this 99'? Had a mechanic check it out