Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A Side by Side Look at Discovery I & II

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2010, 06:35 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by antichrist
The DII styling doesn't matter to me, certainly not enough to buy one. The fat ***, lack of manual gearbox, lack of CDL, dependence on electrickery for off-roadability and stupid axle design keep be away.
The axle design / fit on the D2 gives is more abilty / Flex off road than a D1, In "most" cases a D2 with TC will go just as far if not further than a D1 with only a CDL , add a CDL to a D2 and combine that with TC and it blows it out the water.

The auto in the D2 in low range can be used as a manual box.

Old 02-05-2010, 09:15 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I agree with UP. My only hang up is that I would not have taken my D2 where I took my D1. It was through pretty deep water. On trails and through snow, I would rather have the TC of a D2. If everything is working right, a D2 with TC is better than a D1 with just a locking CDL.

Old 04-16-2010, 01:26 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by kahits
I love this thread, as well. Having been lucky to get the first NAS Defender 110 (#67) in the state, I owned it for 15 years, before my kids out grew the back seats, and I just could not justify it's value any longer and sold it. Of course, I had already come to realize the D1 was easily it's equal, if not better, with better leg room, the same off road capability, and at a tenth the cost I sold the D110 for. With a rebuilt engine, and all the components I needed, to put it to work the way I did with the Defender. My wife was happy and even though I am missing the clear coating on the roof and hood, this is my baby. Now I just need to wear out the stock sized tires to fill the fenders, after the 2" lift. What great vehicles these have become.
Iwould have thought the 110 would be the better.

I do like my DI, but I was driving a 2 wheel Chevy SportVan90 with a 283 3 speed offroad in Ga and Fla. long time ago.

Old 04-16-2010, 02:24 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 144 Likes on 100 Posts

Is the DI equipped with the same type of throttle body warmer as the DII?

Old 10-08-2010, 09:36 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do the Headlights of the Disco II and Disco II - 03/04 fits into the Disco I?
Can I put the tailights of the Disco II in a Disco I?

Old 10-26-2010, 02:05 PM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Just came back to this thread.

Originally Posted by Urban Panzer
The axle design / fit on the D2 gives is more abilty / Flex off road than a D1, In "most" cases a D2 with TC will go just as far if not further than a D1 with only a CDL , add a CDL to a D2 and combine that with TC and it blows it out the water.

The auto in the D2 in low range can be used as a manual box.
TC is great until it dies from some fault. Then you're left, in the case of most US models, up the creak since they don't even have CDL.

What do you do in a D2 when you break a half-shaft or CV? Call a tow truck if you don't have a spare with you.
In a D1 you pull out the offending part and drive home.

I use a manual gearbox in more than just low-range. But I know many people prefer an automatic, which is fine. I just meant for me that's a con.

Old 10-26-2010, 02:45 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by fideladio

you can do anything if you have enough money and equipment. but easily no and no.

Old 10-26-2010, 02:54 PM
TReK
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Just to add to what Hilltopper said, ive seen people add DII (99-02) lights. I dont know why anyone would want to do that, but ive seen it done. (Never 03-04 light though...)

Old 10-26-2010, 03:06 PM
TReK
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ditto to above, the simple answer is NO they do not FIT. But you can make them fit.....

Old 08-14-2011, 11:50 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is a great debate for someone in my shoes (who's about to get his hands on a d2).

Having owned a D1 for several months I've become quit educated on the mechanical aspects of the Disco 1. Glad I was able to get my hands on something which presented me with several mechanical challenges to take advantage of!

Despite never having owned a Disco 2, I do desire this more stylish version, with its increased cargo space, horsepower, torque, on road stability and traction control. Now I do understand that some models do NOT come with the CDL installed however the manufacturer's did make the transfer case compatible for a CDL to be installed aftermarket. Regarding the D1 CDL -most though equipped (sometime after 94 I think) do not even work due to lack of use and typically freeze/rust up, as was the case with my D1 and so many others. Furthermore - most if not all the D2's I've been watching on Craigslist in the local area around NH have the CDL installed!

Afew things to consider about the D1:
The D1 also had severe issues with the propshaft design (on early D1 models). The rubber flex coupler! Those things just fall apart. True it dident have a direct threat on the transfer case as is the case with the D2 but still a defect and extremely dangerous nevertheless. Not sure about the D2 but the power steering system on D1 models was also faulty, in particular the ps gearbox. Leaking ps fluid could potentially settle on a hot catalytic converter and start a fire! The engine itself has several problems of it's own as well - including bad cam and piston design which is **** to wear quickly and the notorious engine misfires that just dont seem to ever go away no matter what you replace. The location of the transmission in conjunction with the cross member and exhaust system make replacing a "simple" transmission filter an extremely difficult time consuming job! Fortunately the D2 design corrects this issue. The interior trim pieces are cheap quality (supposedly higher quality in the D2). You may be hard pressed to find a D1 that doesn't have an SRS, abs or check engine light illuminated. Seat and window motors are faulty and have a very short lifespan. Rear cargo door handle is another common issue with D1- like the CDL the cargo door handles have a tendency to freeze/rust up. All this combined with a slightly shorter cargo bay, no 3rd front facing seats and less hp and torque make the pros and cons "EVEN"! Also worth noting the a healthy D1 gets afew miles more per gallon then the entire D2 line.

Last edited by ShadowMerchantBC; 08-14-2011 at 11:55 PM.

Quick Reply: A Side by Side Look at Discovery I & II