Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Silly question about the interior lights and the rear door.

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2015, 12:22 AM
Winching
Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Silly question about the interior lights and the rear door.

I'm shocked to find myself asking this, but: how does the truck know when the back door is open? I was expecting to find a frame switch like every other car, but nothing… is it in the closing mechanism somehow? Is it just hidden somewhere and I'm being dense?
Mine has stopped turning the interior lights on (probably because it's close to absolute zero out).
Just so surprised to find it isn't obvious.
Oh Land Rover, why must everything be just that little bit more difficult than necessary?

Old 01-14-2015, 05:54 AM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

It's a secret

This may help you TD5 Door microswitches

There are no push type switches at all on a D2 it's all controlled via the BCU (body control unit) when the door is opened and is activated by the door lock mechanism. Bl@@dy progress for ya these are via the BCU controller and the remote key fob initially and latterly when each door is opened or closed. You can activate each light individually with a switch on each light.

I've fitted LED festoon lamps to all lights so if I leave an internal light on accidentally for a few days the battery doesn't totally discharge.

The following 2 users liked this post by OffroadFrance:
acg (01-14-2015), dusty1 (01-14-2015)
Old 01-14-2015, 06:45 PM
Winching
Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

Thanks OffroadFrance. Glad I wasn't just loosing my mind. Seems to have worked it's self out, probably just frozen.

Another dumb question I had while driving in the strange arctic conditions last night: my review mirrors suddenly fogged up. I have the heated ones (although I think only one actually works because Land Rover). How do you turn them on? I've had them come on when I hit the auto defrost, but never had the need when just driving along.
I assume either the heated windscreen or the rear defrost, but could be wrong.

These really are my most remedial questions, I know.

Old 01-15-2015, 04:29 AM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by Fallstaff
Thanks OffroadFrance. Glad I wasn't just loosing my mind. Seems to have worked it's self out, probably just frozen.

Another dumb question I had while driving in the strange arctic conditions last night: my review mirrors suddenly fogged up. I have the heated ones (although I think only one actually works because Land Rover). How do you turn them on? I've had them come on when I hit the auto defrost, but never had the need when just driving along.
I assume either the heated windscreen or the rear defrost, but could be wrong.

These really are my most remedial questions, I know.
Hi Fallstaff, the heated windscreen or rear screen defogger turns them on, well at least mine does. Bearing in mind the heated windshield, by design, turns itself off after a period of time probably due to conserve the power consumption or potential damage to the glass.

The NA spec may be different but mine is an export LHD spec originally destined for south Americas (cancelled order that's why I was sold it cheaply by the main dealership 33% discounted on RRP)

Last edited by OffroadFrance; 01-15-2015 at 04:33 AM.