Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sloppy wheel....front end issue...

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2007, 06:37 PM
4wd High
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sloppy wheel....front end issue...

I can move my steering wheel about a inch back & forth with out the truck (97 Disco with 127k) moving...What is the possible issue? Where should I start? Thanks in advance!

Old 02-12-2007, 07:01 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Sloppy wheel....front end issue...

At that mileage, the truck most likely needs:

1. All tie rod ends in the steering gear replaced
2. The steering box "pre-load" adjusted
3. Both panhard rod bushings replaced ( the panhardroddetermines thelateral location of your front differential housing)

Geoman
www.eurotekapg.com Land Rover Hard Parts delivered to your door

"serving the do-it-yourself Land Rover owner/enthusiast"

Old 02-12-2007, 07:20 PM
4wd High

ORIGINAL: geoman

At that mileage, the truck most likely needs:

1. All tie rod ends in the steering gear replaced
2. The steering box "pre-load" adjusted
3. Both panhard rod bushings replaced ( the panhardroddetermines thelateral location of your front differential housing)

Geoman
www.eurotekapg.com Land Rover Hard Parts delivered to your door

"serving the do-it-yourself Land Rover owner/enthusiast"
ouch....that is alot of stuff....I honestly bought the truck to turn a profit soI want to spend as little as possible...I found a service book in the car stamped by rover all the way to 90,000 miles....I am hopeing some stuff was replaced? Can you tell me what steering box pre poad ajustment means? Is this something I can do? Thanks in advance.

Old 02-12-2007, 07:30 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

You don't buy Rovers to sell them and turn a profit. Sounds like you are about to make a major investment in your truck.
Mike

Old 02-12-2007, 07:33 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Look on rangerovers.net , as there may be a printedprocedure there for adjusting the pre-load. Essentially -- there is a threaded shaft with a lock-nut that protrudes out of the top of the steering box. With the wheels off the ground and pointed straight ahead, you slacken the locknut while holding the shaft with a allen wrench. Then -- you turn the shaft clockwise a little at a time, and then turn the steering wheel through it's full range both left and right. Repeat -- until you detect a "SMALL" amount of resistance at the extreme left and right position. Then tighen the lock nut and once more-- turn the wheel through its full motion in both directions to make sure there is no binding.

Information offered with no liability on my part, you understand. You are just trying to tighten up some normal slop in the steering box. Sometimes it works, sometimes the box is too worn out.

Geoman

Old 02-12-2007, 07:43 PM
4wd High

ORIGINAL: Disco Mike

You don't buy Rovers to sell them and turn a profit. Sounds like you are about to make a major investment in your truck.
Mike
Mike I actually sold two rovers for profit in the past 3 months...I made $1400 on a 96 & $2400 on a 99 I sold last week....I bought this 97 for $2200...It makes $ even with the issues it has trust me...I might just bring it to the auction or ebay it (if ebay I will disclose the issue as I am a honest guy) if the front end is too bad....the other issue is the heat ( another post I made) & lastly a tranny line is leaking which set me back a whole $49.57...Hopefully the job goes smooth...sometimes those lines like to twist....Anyways thanks for letting me post here!

Old 02-12-2007, 07:47 PM
4wd High

ORIGINAL: geoman

Look on rangerovers.net , as there may be a printedprocedure there for adjusting the pre-load. Essentially -- there is a threaded shaft with a lock-nut that protrudes out of the top of the steering box. With the wheels off the ground and pointed straight ahead, you slacken the locknut while holding the shaft with a allen wrench. Then -- you turn the shaft clockwise a little at a time, and then turn the steering wheel through it's full range both left and right. Repeat -- until you detect a "SMALL" amount of resistance at the extreme left and right position. Then tighen the lock nut and once more-- turn the wheel through its full motion in both directions to make sure there is no binding.

Information offered with no liability on my part, you understand. You are just trying to tighten up some normal slop in the steering box. Sometimes it works, sometimes the box is too worn out.

Geoman
Thankyou so much!Hopefully this will help the condition! Nice to know as I like buying Rovers in the winter...So far I have donewell selling them as there is not 20 of them in the paper like alot of other cars I sell....Anyways thanks again for the tip & yes I understand there is no liability on your part.