Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sloppy Steering?!?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2011, 09:45 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sloppy Steering?!?

Hey guys,
I upgraded my suspension with OME HD Springs and Bilstein shocks and steering dampener. Since then the body roll and other ride characteristics have been much improved but my steering has gone to SH*T?! I get play between 10-2o'clock before i get a response right or left. Is this common with a lift? Could it be a faulty steering dampener? I called Firestone and the guy said that it wouldn't help to get an alignment, is that true?

Old 02-28-2011, 11:14 AM
TReK
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

did someone call me???

Old 02-28-2011, 11:25 AM
TReK
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by RjBu
Hey guys,
I upgraded my suspension with OME HD Springs and Bilstein shocks and steering dampener. Since then the body roll and other ride characteristics have been much improved but my steering has gone to SH*T?! I get play between 10-2o'clock before i get a response right or left. Is this common with a lift? Could it be a faulty steering dampener? I called Firestone and the guy said that it wouldn't help to get an alignment, is that true?
you just raised nearly 3 tons of truck higher into the air. center of gravity has changed as will ride and handling. you can have all the steering components checked out if ya like.

Old 02-28-2011, 12:10 PM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

Have someone turn the wheel back and forth while you look for loose stuff. Sometimes you can just tighten the hardware. If not, you'll have to replace whatever is loose.

Old 02-28-2011, 12:34 PM
Three Wheeling

So this common? Every one who lifts looses that much tracking? It happend as soon as the lift was done.. would the steering dampener have anything to do with it?

Old 02-28-2011, 12:49 PM
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The steering damper would not. Check everything that is related to steering and the ball joints as well. Look for play in any of the components.

Old 02-28-2011, 06:22 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My experience was similiar.... I ended up putting OME springs on the front which increases the front height about 2 inches.... which means the track bar is "shorter" so the steering wheel is effectively not centered... it has a self centering mechanism so the steering wheel tries to return to center, which, if you are off center to begin with, can lead to a wierd experience.
What I did: make sure your steering box is tight, (but not too tight) per the rave manual. Then make sure your toe in is set to factory spec. Within that context, there is a bit of variability, ranging from toe out to only slightly toe out... get a tire guy that isn't a complete idiot and talk him through setting you toe so that it's on the less toe out spectrum.... then you just need to get the car straight, and climb under the front end and adjust the track rod so your steering wheel is straight.... I had to play around with this a good damn bit.... it was a PITA. but when I got it done, the car tracked straight, didn't wander, and tended to be pretty stable... I am sure my neighbors thought I was crazy, but whatever..... let me know if that doesnt make sense

Old 03-01-2011, 08:32 AM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by 04BluDisco
My experience was similiar.... I ended up putting OME springs on the front which increases the front height about 2 inches.... which means the track bar is "shorter" so the steering wheel is effectively not centered... it has a self centering mechanism so the steering wheel tries to return to center, which, if you are off center to begin with, can lead to a wierd experience.
What I did: make sure your steering box is tight, (but not too tight) per the rave manual. Then make sure your toe in is set to factory spec. Within that context, there is a bit of variability, ranging from toe out to only slightly toe out... get a tire guy that isn't a complete idiot and talk him through setting you toe so that it's on the less toe out spectrum.... then you just need to get the car straight, and climb under the front end and adjust the track rod so your steering wheel is straight.... I had to play around with this a good damn bit.... it was a PITA. but when I got it done, the car tracked straight, didn't wander, and tended to be pretty stable... I am sure my neighbors thought I was crazy, but whatever..... let me know if that doesnt make sense

04BluDisco for the WIN!! Thanks this is all Greek to me but if I printed this out and took it to say a Sears Alignment would that be within the realm of understanding of your average tech there?

Old 03-01-2011, 10:31 AM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would think that Sears, or any competant alignment shop should be able to do this. ideally find a place that employs someone with experience working on older style suspension and steering as drag links and track bars are less common. Then tell them that the steering is self centering, so they want to first, get the alignment to spec, and then second, while its on the machine still adjust the steering wheel using the drag link adjustments to get the wheel straight.