Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Small Block Chevy Engine Swap for 2000 Disc II

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2009, 01:40 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by davidrod
\

Didnt' realize the thread was dead, just reading through and got worked up enough that I had to comment.

I'm an insider, I can bash discos. I love Disco(s) (I've had three). I also hate discos (the engine). I realize the coolant issue (Dexcool), however:

Other engines, you can change coolant type, change coolant infrequently, mix, they just don't give a ****. I've done this before in the past with chevy/ford engines. Just put anything in it that looks like liquid and the head gasket never blew.

So, this is simple,

if this engine is this tempermental about coolant, than it sucks.

You just illustrated what I mean, you'd have to be a land rover guy to think that its ok if you have to change head gaskets cause you forgot to flush the coolant last quarter.

Hell, I know guys that have NEVER changed/flushed coolant ever in their chevy's and they NEVER blow a head gasket.
I see where you're coming from, no argument there. The only thing I'm not seeing is why you think the whole engine is crap just because of a coolant issue... Land Rover has used the same engine for decades, well before the DII was ever around and it never had as bad of head gasket issues until the switch to Dexcool. I agree that it is a problem, but to say the whole engine should be scrapped just because of that is a little harsh imo.

Old 02-19-2010, 07:06 PM
2nd Gear
Default um

I'm in need of anew engine... got a 4.0... and i do think it's a piece of ****! 180 hp on a 6,000 truck?? I mean c'mon! "Oh it's sufficient for off-road use"... blah blah blah! Great!!! I can go up a trail but the friggin thing down shifts on a 3 degree incline just to maintain my cruise speed of 45 MPH!! Due to the fact that i drive mine ON road as well I need more HP. Gaskets are leaking like a mother. Oil is dripping. I don't need 400 hp but at least 250 would be good... or a 4.6 but $4500 remanned for only 40 more horses? y'know i used to have an explorer with a v6 and that gey little engin had to try so hard to push that truck that the v8 version gets better gas mileage!!! my point? It should be obvious... under powered is ****... so is 500 hp... but the truck which is amazing, should have sufficient power. so what can i do? a guy at roversnorth sent me to this guy who remans rover motors told me the 4.6 still isn't good enough. he said drop an LS1 motor in there... but how much would that cost and is it possible? What about that buick motor? The rover motor is unimpressive when compared to alot of other great motors. So what is another great motor i can thro in there?????

Old 02-19-2010, 07:26 PM
TReK
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

So sell it and buy a subaru seriously it's a moot point. No other non rover engines are going to bolt in, you will have to do a fair bit of fabrication and probably end up with too much weight, not worth it. Or if you have 6K burning a hole in your pocket:

http://toddcosuspensions.com/laroen.html

Old 02-19-2010, 07:34 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by rrgbemail
Does anyone know if there is a west coast shop that does a small block chevy swap for a 2000 Land Rover Discovery II. I have done a ton of custom work to my Disco II but it is terribly underpowered for use in the sandy soil out here in the Las Vegas area. Thanks in advance!!!

Rich
Too much weight, won't work with the ECU, tranny would also have to be changed along with the t/case, both diffs to handle the extra power and a whole list of stuff that makes it way too expensive to do.

Old 12-04-2010, 02:29 AM
Drifting

the diffs have to be changed for an extra 70hp?? Why does the Tcase have to go? Cant the DS be changed to accommodate length difference?

Old 12-04-2010, 08:07 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

the diffs are the weak point in the driveline now.

Old 12-04-2010, 10:16 AM
Drifting

yea, that makes sense. It would be nice like the days of old, where if you wanted to mix things up, it would be a matter of fitting and mounting. I have an old early second gen camaro, so that's what im use to working on. Plus, it would be a nightmare trying to get the sensors and such to work.

Old 12-04-2010, 02:07 PM
Three Wheeling

I know this might sound like heresy here, but I'm still a jeeper at heart.

What about a Jeep engine and tranny in a Disco? If you could adapt the Rover T-case to a Jeep AW4 tranny, and stroke a Jeep 4.0L to a 4.6, you would have a pretty bullet proof drive train, that puts out the same, or a little better power numbers. Using the Jeep engine and tranny computers would negate the need to adapt the Rover computers to work.

It's probably entirely too much money and work to be worthwhile, but it would definitely be interesting to see it done.