Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Small coolant leak after water pump replacement

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2018 | 02:24 PM
|
Three Wheeling
Default Small coolant leak after water pump replacement

Folks,

I am racking my brain. I replaced my water pump a few months ago, along with a new feed hose assy, and I have this annoying small leak which manifests itself on the bottom/ underside of the water pump intake/ inlet. No coolant on top, gasket looks dry, all bolts maintained torque. The pump itself doesn't have any appearance of leaks in the common areas.

I've checked the heater core hoses, the manifold inlet/ elbow. Bottom of the intake manifold is dry. Is there something I'm not looking at?

Thanks for any help that is provided.

Old 08-24-2018 | 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by Wesley Lueders
Folks,

I am racking my brain. I replaced my water pump a few months ago, along with a new feed hose assy, and I have this annoying small leak which manifests itself on the bottom/ underside of the water pump intake/ inlet. No coolant on top, gasket looks dry, all bolts maintained torque. The pump itself doesn't have any appearance of leaks in the common areas.

I've checked the heater core hoses, the manifold inlet/ elbow. Bottom of the intake manifold is dry. Is there something I'm not looking at?

Thanks for any help that is provided.
Hi

It sounds ominously like the seal on the pump is duff. Check underneath the pump for water/coolant emitting from the 'tell tale' hole, you'll probably need a mirror. This may be caused by the seal becoming duff or the system over pressurising.

Old 08-24-2018 | 03:08 PM
|
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by OffroadFrance
Hi

It sounds ominously like the seal on the pump is duff. Check underneath the pump for water/coolant emitting from the 'tell tale' hole, you'll probably need a mirror. This may be caused by the seal becoming duff or the system over pressurising.
The weep hole is dry, no signs of leakage, but I'll bring it up to temp, then look underneath the pump with my bore scope. If that's the case, luckily it's a "life time" part from a local store, so I'll just be out for the time to swap it for another one.

Anyone else got any wisdom to bestow on this humble knuckle-dragger?

Old 08-26-2018 | 08:50 AM
|
Three Wheeling
Default The culprit

After closer inspection, the water pump gasket was weeping near the bolt under the intake. I replaced the gasket, and ta-da, no leak. It actually worked out nice because this time I cleaned the 18 years of gunk off the front cover while I had easy access. On to the three amigos........