Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Snow Driving and Snow Tires

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2010, 06:52 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Me too!

Originally Posted by ringerso
I've had the opportunity to pull more than a couple of other 4 wheelers out of the snow, in my 2003 Disco with only ETC and only decent tires...Can't wait to see how it performs this year with New DuraTrac's.
I am in the same boat and just grinning thinking about snow!

Old 11-03-2010, 07:03 PM
Three Wheeling

The only thing better in the snow than my Disco was my Defender :-)

And I second the CDL - it's the thing I miss most from my D1 to my D2. It's on my to-do list, but so far hasn't made it to the top.

Seriously, it does mainly get down to tires. I've had good luck with *fresh* Yoko Geolandar H/T-S (as the miles mount up, not so great), Yoko Geolandar A/T-S and oddly with BFG M/T's despite the harder compound. I ran Michelin X-Ice on my '73 911 and my Mercedes coupe year-round, and loved the way the handled in the snow. I'm seriously leaning towards doing that with the Disco when I next need tires.

The other important thing is technique. Go practice someplace safe before you need it "for real" if you possibly can. Last winter, my wife managed to slide down a hill sideways in the D2, scaring the crap out of the kids. I went to rescue her in a two-wheel drive F-150 with an empty bed, which pretty much told me all I needed to know about the cause of the incident.

Old 11-03-2010, 08:05 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Cooper S/T's and I have no problems in the snow, even snowmobile trails to take the kids to the good sledding hills.
I have even driven 180 miles in a blizzard and we were the only ones NOT in the ditch.

How much snow do you get per year?

Old 11-03-2010, 11:05 PM
Recovery Vehicle

I think the Disco does great in the snow. I plowed through 3.5 feet one day a couple years ago and just pulled people out. I run Nokian snow tires with studs so the ice is no issue either.

You can always get the tires siped if you are concerned about it.

Old 11-04-2010, 06:26 AM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Spike555
Cooper S/T's and I have no problems in the snow, even snowmobile trails to take the kids to the good sledding hills.
I have even driven 180 miles in a blizzard and we were the only ones NOT in the ditch.
Ah, I miss those days. Brings back memories of leaving work in VT one afternoon, heading for NJ, in my Lightweight as a horrendous snow storm hit the east coast.
By the time I was in CT I had to stop several times and get out and knock the snow off the road signs to make sure which way I needed to go. This was in the 80's when 4WD's were really starting to catch on for people who didn't have any real use for them, and that was 95% of what I saw in the ditches. LOL

I think I was running Roadhandler tires from Sears at the time, which I don't think they sell anymore.

Last edited by antichrist; 11-04-2010 at 06:31 AM.
Old 11-04-2010, 07:12 AM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Spike555
How much snow do you get per year?

a crap load less than we do. and i did damn fine in my General Grabbers.

Old 11-04-2010, 07:42 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by antichrist
Ah, I miss those days. Brings back memories of leaving work in VT one afternoon, heading for NJ, in my Lightweight as a horrendous snow storm hit the east coast.
By the time I was in CT I had to stop several times and get out and knock the snow off the road signs to make sure which way I needed to go. This was in the 80's when 4WD's were really starting to catch on for people who didn't have any real use for them, and that was 95% of what I saw in the ditches. LOL

I think I was running Roadhandler tires from Sears at the time, which I don't think they sell anymore.
Sounds like fun.
We were heading back from ******* MI from Christmas break and 100 miles into the return trip we stopped for gas and the only clear spot on the windscreen was where the wipers clear and it was the same for the rear window.
The truck had so much ice and snow caked onto it it actually sat about 3" lower than normal.
All the doors were frozen shut from all the ice on the body panels.
It was really really cool.
Now you have me all psyched for this Christmas break to *******, supposed to be above normal snowfall this year too.
Man I cant wait.

Old 11-05-2010, 08:12 AM
wrp
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad with snow

Discos are bad with snow in the Mid-Atlantic and Northeast because the roads alway get way too much salt. (They don't care about bad effects from salt because it all flows into the ocean.) The salt will very quickly rust everything under the truck, except what's covered with oil drippings. I'm watching for cracks to form in the rusted welds on the frame of my '99 D2, but I'm not sure what to do then. I've already had the rear step and a cross member at the front rust through.

Note that even the newest LRs have only 6 year rust warranties, and that's only rust perforation on the sheet metal, with absolutely no rust warranty on the frame. (I had rust through in several places in the undercarriage after just 3 years after buying it new, and nothing is covered by warranty)

So even though you'll be able to pull other vehicles out of snow drifts, you'll pay for that privilege with additional rust.

And I'm sure people here will say snow doesn't cause rust, it's the people and salt that cause rust. OK, whatever.

Old 11-05-2010, 08:29 AM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

That's why people in the north east oil their cars. At least everyone I knew when I lived in VT and NH did.

Old 11-05-2010, 09:04 AM
TReK
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

wrp, what in this thread could have possibly got you on a rant about rust?? haha

Quick Reply: Snow Driving and Snow Tires